Pinball art - LP record sleeve photo

Pinball Discussion, Location Games, Etc.
cad-kid

Pinball art - LP record sleeve photo

Post by cad-kid »

I'm not a LP record collector but I got a whole bunch of LPs for free and this one was in the mix. I don't care for the music that's on it but hey - someone went to the trouble of making a cool album cover 8-)
P3241729.JPG
P3241736.JPG
P3241737.JPG
I see it's also a promotional copy - I don't think that makes this one any more valuable. But it's cool that the words "promotional copy" are lightly cut into the surface of the sleeve.
Attachments
P3241731.JPG
u2sean

Re: Pinball art - LP record sleeve photo

Post by u2sean »

I worked in record / CD stores through college and we'd get quite a few promo items in (although I've never heard of Hoyt Axton until now!). Some were really cool, as they were actual albums that were never made available to the general public. Others, like this, would have "Promotion Only" stamped on the booklet, cover, or sometimes even silkscreened on the CD. The big fans / collectors of a particular artist sometimes seek these out to complete their collection. This looks pretty interesting, and the light cutting into the jacket is pretty neat - very subtle. See if it's made in the US or elsewhere (UK, Japan, etc...). Like you said, at least the artwork is cool! :lol:
Tron, Shadow, Shrek, STTNG, TZ, Dimension, TNA, AFMr, Neptune, R&M, Godzilla Prem, King of Diamonds, S&S, Dialed In! LE, Bank Shot, IJ, Scooby CE, ST Prem
Ken

Post by Ken »

Probably a radio station copy at one point. I have hundreds of cd's from my days in radio that have that on them. Cool find.
Methos

Post by Methos »

There is nothing as sweet as listening to vinyl. The look, the feel, the beautiful analog sound....

When did radio stations start using CDs instead of turntables?
tullster

Post by tullster »

I seem to recall Cd's starting to catch on in the mid 80's, and suppose that's when radio stations started using them.

Come to think of it, the switch to Cd's probably had something to do with the Rock Radio format switch from AOR (album oriented rock) To a more "hits" format that they pump out today. Gone were the days of never knowing what's gonna play next! I haven't been able to listen to "Classic Rock Hits" for quite a while!!

I've got a pretty big 45 collection and think I have a few Hoyt Axton singles, and also have some stereo/mono Radio Station promo 45's. Fun stuff to collect!

I'm with you mark, and still have a turntable hooked up (and a Jukebox of course!). The first song that made me realize how great vinyl sounds compared to CD was "Superstition" by Stevie Ray Vaughan. The 45rpm single sounds WAY better than the CD! Crank it up to just slightly below where the turntable starts to feed back! :D
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Thanks! I am learning more than I expected with this thread :mrgreen:
I'm not even a 1/4 way through the estate lot I was given....
P3241734.JPG
It was a situation of "if you don't take them then off to the landfill they go" :shock:
So my plan is to inspect each one, toss out the damaged ones (more than you might think), cherry pick what I want, then offer up the rest for what little I can get.

Any one interested in some country LPs 1986 and older :?:
u2sean

Post by u2sean »

Jeremy, contact Ron at Strictly Discs. http://www.strictlydiscs.com/ if you decide to unload the remainder. Not sure if they'll be interested or not, but it can't hurt to ask. Tell him Sean who used to work there sent you - it's been years since I've even seen him.
Tron, Shadow, Shrek, STTNG, TZ, Dimension, TNA, AFMr, Neptune, R&M, Godzilla Prem, King of Diamonds, S&S, Dialed In! LE, Bank Shot, IJ, Scooby CE, ST Prem
tullster

Post by tullster »

So Sean worked at Strictly Discs?!! You learn something new every day! I think we met pre-pinball!

I lean towards http://www.madcitymusic.net/ and I'm way overdue for a 45 dig session thru their stuff!. Is Inner Sleeve in Wausau still in business and would they take the leftovers?

Have fun digging through those records! There's gotta be a gem or two in there, and let us know if you find anything interesting!

Tully
Baumann

Post by Baumann »

Jeremy,

Anything in there with a banjo in it, I'm your guy. Especially bluegrass.

Scott
RustyLizard

Post by RustyLizard »

Cool art Jeremy! Inner Sleeve is still open and Mike hasn't changed a bit.
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

u2sean wrote:Jeremy, contact Ron at Strictly Discs. http://www.strictlydiscs.com/ if you decide to unload the remainder. Not sure if they'll be interested or not, but it can't hurt to ask. Tell him Sean who used to work there sent you - it's been years since I've even seen him.
Thanks for the tip!
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

tullster wrote:So Sean worked at Strictly Discs?!! You learn something new every day! I think we met pre-pinball!

I lean towards http://www.madcitymusic.net/ and I'm way overdue for a 45 dig session thru their stuff!. Is Inner Sleeve in Wausau still in business and would they take the leftovers?

Have fun digging through those records! There's gotta be a gem or two in there, and let us know if you find anything interesting!

Tully
It has been pretty fun so far. Thanks for the link Tully.
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

RustyLizard wrote:Cool art Jeremy! Inner Sleeve is still open and Mike hasn't changed a bit.
Thanks Russ, I didn't know they were still in business.
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Baumann wrote:Jeremy,

Anything in there with a banjo in it, I'm your guy. Especially bluegrass.

Scott
Thanks Scott, I did see some bluegrass.... I will keep you posted.

Speaking of bluegrass, one surprise gem is several New Grass Revival records. I love the energy of this group - great stuff.
slavall

Post by slavall »

As someone who appreciates vinyl, there is nothing quite like going through a pile of records and finding some new and interesting music. For the record, Hoyt Axton was known more as a songwriter for others in addition to being a performer. He wrote "Joy to the World" and "Never Been to Spain" for Three Dog Night as well as songs for Steppenwolf and Ringo Starr (The No No Song) among others and had a minor hit with a song called "Boney Fingers". Have fun. Steve
FH, FT, WCS94, R&B, FG