All Members please vote!!! IFPA point related.

Should we modify monthly scoring format to include playoffs and boost IFPA event points?

Poll ended at Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:06 pm

NO: We should keep the format/scoring the same as last year
8%
YES: We should make minor changes to take advantage of IFPA Scoring Rule changes. Everyone would still play 4 rounds, but we would add additional playoff rounds for the top 4 finishers.
92%

Total votes: 13

Hilton

Re: All Members please vote!!! IFPA point related.

Post by Hilton »

Good point Mark.

Since playoff games being proposed have no impact on regular league play, if someone makes top 4 for the night but wants to leave after league games are over then they can take off. What is being proposed woudl have no impact on league performance and only on what is reported to IFPA for WPPR points.

In your example, finish 3rd for the league games then you are still 3rd for league play. For IFPA reporting you would be reported as 4th since you opt out of playoffs.

I don't think the proposed playoff games will add much time at all. In general estimates, a 4 player game, followed by a 3 player game, followed by up to three 2 player games will likely take 40-60 minutes (for only the top 2 since 4th place will have only 1 extra game and 3rd place will have played only 2 extra games) depending on the game and if extra balls are allowed or not.

Kingpin, I like your idea of some sort of fancy new phone randomizer thingy. Sounds fnacy. We could also use the previous months game #4 finish placements to set up the next months game #1 groupings. Anything to make the initial setup stuff easier and quicker is good in my book.
u2sean

Post by u2sean »

Absentee scores are based on an average score, so if we keep running total points for league standing and then used the league average for both absentee scores as well as nightly playoff ties (which hopefully won't happen all that often) I think that's a reasonable solution. Of course, others may disagree.

My reasoning on why the lowest average should win a tie: This is being reported to the IFPA on a monthly basis. If a middle of the pack member has a great night and ties for 4th place with someone who always places higher, that person has played better THAT night and should continue into the playoffs for IFPA points. I'd like to hear other member opinions on this - chime in folks!
Methos wrote:There should not be any penalty to or for them in giving up the playoff for that night.
Yup, this is a good point. I think this proposal in general is saying that everyone is agreeing to extending playtime from 2 hours to 3 hours for those top 4 in the playoffs, and others can still play for fun afterwards. If you finish in the top 4 you'll have a shot at getting the most IFPA points. If you need to leave early and skip out, then you'd take 4th JUST for IFPA points. Example: let's say you finished in 1st with 28 points but then had to leave early. From the MadCity league standpoint you will get 28 points and are in 1st for the night (which really doesn't mean anything as it's the annual accumulated points that ranks us internally). From an IFPA standpoint, you would end up in 4th place as you'd be forfeiting in the playoffs. If you don't care about IFPA points, then it'd be of no consequence.
Tron, Shadow, Shrek, STTNG, TZ, Dimension, TNA, AFMr, Neptune, R&M, Godzilla Prem, King of Diamonds, S&S, Dialed In! LE, Bank Shot, IJ, Scooby CE, ST Prem
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

Another option if we didn't want to use handicap as a tie breaker would be Win-Loss record against the other tied opponents for the evening. It would only take a couple minutes to figure out.

Lets say Sean, Hilton and I I all tied with 18 pts after 4 rounds are complete and are vying for the final playoff spot.

All you would need to do is look is look at the score sheet and tabulate how many times we each finished better or worse than each other when we played head to head. Most nights this would only be once or twice max.

Say I finished higher than HIlton once but lower than Sean once. (Record is 1-1))
Hilton finished lower than me once and didn't face Sean (Record is 0-1)
Sean finished higher than me once and didn't face Hilton (Record is 1-0)

Based on this Sean would move on to the playoffs. In a situation where we were all tied for 3rd best record after the first 4 rounds than the top 2 (Sean and I) would move on.

We could use handicap to be the 2nd tie breaker should the head to head tie-breaker end up in another tie. If that's the case I'd side with having the person with the lower average move on.
Last edited by MikeS on Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Collection: Rick and Morty, JPPrem, TWDLE, SW Pro, Stranger Things Pro, Godzilla Pro, Pulp Fiction, GNRLE, Doctor Who, Eight Ball, Harlem, Stars, Shadow.
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

And I agree that playoffs should not count towards the league standings.-only IFPA reported results. As far as league is concerned that ends after the first four rounds are complete.-same as now
Current Collection: Rick and Morty, JPPrem, TWDLE, SW Pro, Stranger Things Pro, Godzilla Pro, Pulp Fiction, GNRLE, Doctor Who, Eight Ball, Harlem, Stars, Shadow.
KingPin Games

Post by KingPin Games »

Hilton wrote:Kingpin, I like your idea of some sort of fancy new phone randomizer thingy. Sounds fnacy. We could also use the previous months game #4 finish placements to set up the next months game #1 groupings. Anything to make the initial setup stuff easier and quicker is good in my book.
found a program called Team Generator in the goolge play store. it is free. i set it up with about 12 people and hit "generate" button a couple of times and it always came back randomized. it cold be used for the games too if we liked.
Christopher
KingPin Games
www.KingPinGames.net
Sales@KingPinGames.net
608-393-2299 cell

Authorized JJP, Stern, Spooky, Chicago Gaming, American Pinball, Raw Thrills, Namco, Incredible Technology, Pipeline Games
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

thumbs up!

with more than 50% of members already voting one way, is this a done deal?
u2sean

Post by u2sean »

Thanks to everyone for their feedback and voting on this. Based on the results, this is a done deal and has been incorporated into the "Scoring" section thread for 2015 rules.

Recap:
League scoring and standings will be unaffected by this additional top 4 playoff.

The top four total point finishers for the evening will playoff for the official top 4 spots for IFPA points. Ties will go to the member with the lower league average, or if not yet established the lower IFPA World ranking. These 5 machines should also be chosen randomly before league begins. These additional IFPA-only rounds will be played as follow:

Game 1: All 4 players compete, with the bottom score being eliminated (4th place)
Game 2: Remaining 3 players compete, with the bottom player being eliminated (3rd place)
Games 3-5: Remaining 2 players will play a best 2 out of 3 games (1st and 2nd place)

League average restarts each season, and is established with scores from at least 3 months of play. If an individual is unable to attend one month, they will receive an absentee score of 80% of their average. (Note: absentee scores are not used to compute your league average).
Tron, Shadow, Shrek, STTNG, TZ, Dimension, TNA, AFMr, Neptune, R&M, Godzilla Prem, King of Diamonds, S&S, Dialed In! LE, Bank Shot, IJ, Scooby CE, ST Prem
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

thanks to everyone for entertaining this idea and great discussion around it!
Methos

Post by Methos »

One question for clarification - do only the top 4 receive IFPA points? Do the players who finished 5th and below still obatin IFPA credits, or will it only be for those who make the playoffs?
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Methos wrote:One question for clarification - do only the top 4 receive IFPA points? Do the players who finished 5th and below still obatin IFPA credits, or will it only be for those who make the playoffs?

ALL league members will recieve IFPA points, including those that finish 5th and below. IN effect, by the top 4 playing extra games each week, all league members will get even more points than if we had left it at 4 games total.

New base value will be ~3.6 points and it will exponentially (actually not an exponential decline but close to it) decline from there like always as you go down i monthly finishing place. However, the new higher base value bumps up the toal points allocated for all players slightly.
Ran

Post by Ran »

This is awesome.
It's gonna be raining IFPA points for us "average" players this season!
;)
Current Collection
Hobbit LE | Spider-Man | Mousin’ Around | Counterforce