Local powder coat?

Pinball Discussion, Location Games, Etc.
Hilton

Local powder coat?

Post by Hilton »

Starting to tear into my Baywatch and the wireforms are currently pretty ugly. Thinking of getting them powdercoated.

Anyone have a local shop they would recommend? or have experience with?
ralphwiggum

Re: Local powder coat?

Post by ralphwiggum »

http://motorsport-coatings.com/
these guys always have a booth at the Jefferson car show and their work always looks nice...
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Fish Tales, Wheel of Fortune
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

thanks Tim

Anyone done any local powder with a company? I see a few in the madison area that all seem to have flashy websites but that only means so much :)
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic ... st-2136805

Started a tread on pinside to see what colors peopel think I should go with.

Would love to have iput from you guys also.
chaos

Post by chaos »

If you end up deciding on a color that is something we regularly run at work (black and white are most common, but we've been known to do green, red, purple, and others), I can always just go downstairs and hang it on the paint line while it's going.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

thanks. i ended up going with a blue powder from all color in oregon wi.

Looks nice to me. Hope to have the game back together soon and then put it out for others to play.
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Cost?
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Fish Tales, Wheel of Fortune
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

ralphwiggum wrote:Cost?
$263 with tax. They sandblasted and prepped to bare metal plus powder. I only did wireforms but cost would have been the same with legs, rails, and door they said. It may have cost a little more as prep would have taken them slightly more.

It was $50 for prep and $200 per color. I only did a single color.

They mainly do commercial stuff and patio furniture. They have a HUGE facility and I was likely the smallest order they will have all year :)

Looks like really good coverage and came out very nice from my POV.
Best part was they quoted 2-3 weeks and were done in 3 days.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

I did get a quote of $125 from a smaller guy in sun prairie area but he was a much smaller outfit and was not real clear on his prep process so I did not go with him.
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Hilton wrote:
$263 with tax. They sandblasted and prepped to bare metal plus powder. I only did wireforms but cost would have been the same with legs, rails, and door they said. It may have cost a little more as prep would have taken them slightly more.

They mainly do commercial stuff and patio furniture. They have a HUGE facility and I was likely the smallest order they will have all year :)

Ouch kind of spendy, but if they have good results that is all that matters.

I have to redo the wireforms on my IJ at some point, and my buddy has a blast cabinet, so I am good there for the prep, I am going to check out the place he uses in Elkhorn for all of his arcade powder. Some of the stuff I have seen him have powdered looks amazing.
Current Collection
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

ralphwiggum wrote:
Hilton wrote:

Ouch kind of spendy, but if they have good results that is all that matters.

I have to redo the wireforms on my IJ at some point, and my buddy has a blast cabinet, so I am good there for the prep, I am going to check out the place he uses in Elkhorn for all of his arcade powder. Some of the stuff I have seen him have powdered looks amazing.

I was happy with the price. I figured I saved on shipping both ways and it appears to be a quality job.
Makes sense that even just setting up and blasting a color has a minimum cost.