Anyone Else "Ghetto" Their Machines?

Pinball Discussion, Location Games, Etc.
ralphwiggum

Anyone Else "Ghetto" Their Machines?

Post by ralphwiggum »

So I am bringing this CEC Simpsons back from the brink of death (just over $45k in earnings on it), and decided to "Pimp my Pin". Usually I just do LEDs, this time I decided to take it a little further. So far- Cabinet decals, automotive painted trim, legs, coin door, hardware, etc. Interior side decals, and I am probably going to install a color DMD (DIY style). Also, I created a custom coin door decal that has Ralph biting Homer.

Anyone else have any "ghetto" pins?
Attachments
IMG_20160209_200807343.jpg
IMG_20160209_200717148.jpg
IMG_20160209_200740410.jpg
Last edited by ralphwiggum on Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Fish Tales, Wheel of Fortune
Ken

Re: Anyone Else "Ghetto" Their Machines?

Post by Ken »

In my limited experience I've only ever ghettoed the electrical stuff. :oops:

TSPP looks awesome! I better head over this week to give LOTR and Xmen some love as I'm sure you've been ignoring them. ;)
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Ken wrote:Xmen some love as I'm sure you've been ignoring them. ;)
Martell came over on Saturday and gave the game some love. I don't think he ever wants to play it again, he should have gone fishing.... (inserts ass on platter image here).... :lol:
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Fish Tales, Wheel of Fortune
RustyLizard

Post by RustyLizard »

Looks cool but for some reason makes me crave cheeseburgers.
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Great, now I am hungry... thanks Rusty....
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Current Collection
Methos

Post by Methos »

Uh oh - Tim is going all "GAP" on us now. First it was LEDs, pretty soon he'll be throwing Demolition Man flipper handles on all of his games.
Eric_S

Post by Eric_S »

If you really want to Ghetto the machine, you need someone to airbrush some gibberish in fancy calligraphy that nobody can read.
noncommittaldave

Post by noncommittaldave »

ralphwiggum wrote:
Ken wrote:Xmen some love as I'm sure you've been ignoring them. ;)
Martell came over on Saturday and gave the game some love. I don't think he ever wants to play it again, he should have gone fishing.... (inserts ass on platter image here).... :lol:
That game looks even better in person. The cab decals are just superb.

I believe that was the worst ass kicking i've ever received. I went over to Mike's the next day and my bad playing rubbed off on him. Anyone want me to stop by or come over here so i can make you play bad for league? :mrgreen:
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

I think it looks pretty awesome tim.

Some titles just look best in the ghetto! Your attention to detail is great!
pthermes

Post by pthermes »

I don't know if it will turn out "Ghetto," but my latest machine looks like it went through a chop-shop and I'm trying to figure out Who Dunnit?
Attachments
DSC07421.JPG
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Holy shit, it only took me TWO YEARS to start back on this. Big thanks to Chris for letting me borrow his whitestar boards, I had quite a few logic issues on my CPU and it was nice comparing readings with a working set.

Sometimes life imitates art... I had a pinball moment at Culvers on Saturday.... There was a dodge dart that looked very similar to my Simpsons.... :shock:
Attachments
IMG_20160207_141802953_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160209_200256408.jpg
Current Collection
Methos

Post by Methos »

ralphwiggum wrote:
Sometimes life imitates art... I had a pinball moment at Culvers on Saturday.... There was a dodge dart that looked very similar to my Simpsons.... :shock:
I would have never, ever, ever, noticed how that car in the parking lot looked like a flipper in any of my games.

Just saying.

:)
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

And that's why Tim has a problem. He notices those things.

Pretty spot on there. Where did the baby blue bats come from?
Radical, Taxi, RollerGames, Dr. Dude, EATPM, Bad Cats, Diner, Police Force, Riverboat Gambler, Swords of Fury, Cyclone, IMDN, Tommy, GNR, MET Prem, KISS Prem, TRS, AC/DC LE, Rob Zombie, Monopoly, No Good Gofers, Who Dunnit, DemoMan, Scared Stiff, Ghostbusters Prem. Not here: Earthshaker, AC/DC, F-14, HMM. Tech bay: Game Show.
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

ChrisS wrote:Where did the baby blue bats come from?
-My Basement-

Grab some flipper bats, dip them in water,
Use this to wet sand them(just scuff them up)-
41SX3TCLu-L._SY300_.jpg
41SX3TCLu-L._SY300_.jpg (13.65 KiB) Viewed 1244 times
Wipe them off with this-
su80032_x.jpg

And hit them with 4-5 lights coats of this(carefully read the reapply time)-
74877-3-1.jpeg

I have been using auto enamels for years on them, but have switched over to Krylon Plastic products. The Krylon products say you don't need to sand them first, but As a best practice, I always rough them up for a little extra bite. I have done a ton of different flippers over the years and they will physically break before the peel, chip, etc.

Also, it goes without saying, but tape off the metal posts before spraying.

Also to note, with automotive paint, it cures pretty quick with the catlyst and hardner, with these aerosol cans, I would wait a minimum of 1 week to let it cure out before putting rubber on them. I wouldn't even physically touch the paint for a few days, as it simply is not the same as an automotive application. Once it fully cures though, no issues that I have experienced.
Current Collection
DeaconBlooze

Post by DeaconBlooze »

Cool, good idea. I'm going to add that to the list of shit I want to do, but realistically will never get to. It's a long list.
Current machines:

Wh20 :: PinBot :: Flash :: Firepower :: BSD :: SW Pro :: Pokerino :: TnA :: Bank Shot :: Stars :: Sky Jump :: Laser Cue