Team One Possible Score Reel Issues *Update*

Tech Help, Restorations, Refurbishments, "Shop Out" Photos, Notes
ralphwiggum

Re: Team One Possible Score Reel Issues

Post by ralphwiggum »

Approx, where are you located? Having another seasoned local collector walk through with you some basics is never a bad idea.
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, NBA Fastbreak, Williams Phoenix
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

Sandman wrote:Funny. I came here for help and all you people seem to do is poke fun. Cool.
Oh, sorry, James. Sarcasm is tough on the Internet, I guess I blew that one a bit.

Steve Young is a nice dude, but he's firmly planted in the 80's. You can fax him an order, but he prefers a check in the good 'ol US Mail. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the package you receive from him comes wrapped in an old NY Times broadsheet with Margaret Thatcher's mug on it. :)

I think I've told my Steve story here, where I rattled off a few part numbers for him, and he responded "is this for a SF2 pin?" I said 'yes', and he replied "oh good, in that case A12345 coil you wanted... they stopped using that mid-run and switched from to coil A67890. So I suggest you switch to A67890 for your order."

How he correlated my random part numbers to "this guy has a SF2 and is about to make a mistake" I don't know. My theory is, he's an alien. And--as an alien--he doesn't trust our credit industry.
Our pinball table breeding stock:
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Scared Stiff, Black Hole, Roy Clark, Monster Bash Remake, Future Spa, Big Deal, Top Score, Baywatch, Rick and Morty, TMNT, Sinbad, Guns N Roses
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Sandman wrote:Thanks, look forward to meeting all of you guys.

PBR emailed me a link with some Gottlieb repair sites to try first. I'll check those out and let you know what happens.
If they gave you links to Pinwiki, I would just skip it. chris has done an okay job with Pinwiki, but it is very incomplete. Here are a few specific things that will help you out a bit-
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#start
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#reels
https://youtu.be/wom6ND0pKdo
Current Collection
Methos

Post by Methos »

Sandman wrote:Haha, it's James.
Where in the hell did I get Brian from??

Sucks getting old. If it's any consolation, I forget my kids names now and then.
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Ralph, I am located in between Portage and Pardeeville. I have read through the material that you sent me already. I don't know which contacts are supposed to be open or closed on the score reels. I will try and experiment with them. As of now, most of them seem closed.
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Sandman wrote:Ralph, I am located in between Portage and Pardeeville. I have read through the material that you sent me already. I don't know which contacts are supposed to be open or closed on the score reels. I will try and experiment with them. As of now, most of them seem closed.

Are your scores all zeroed out- 0,000,000 ?
Current Collection
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Yeah. Sometimes the thousand digit will keep cycling, or not move at all.
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

The thousand digit seems jammed. It only moves from 0 to 1 where as all the others go all the way to 9
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Ah heck I don't know. Maybe I'll have to have someone come out here.
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Sounds like the thousands switches need cleaned, and that mech needs pulled and cleaned, then lubed. It sounds like you are very close to have a working machine. I drive past you almost every weekend to stay at my trailer in the Dells. Unfortunately I have three young kids with me, or I would swing out your way on the way up on one of these trips.
Current Collection
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Thanks. I'll keep tinkering for now.
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Update.

So I fixed the rotating. But now the ball switch isn't reading. It sounds like it is coming from a relay called AX.
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Haha, never mind. It's stuck on startup again.
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

So...

I got it to stop resetting (only on the 5 ball setting, the 3 ball setting just puts it back in the reset loop.) The 1,000 digit score reel doesn't reset unless the reel displays a 9. Even after it resets, the ball launcher doesn't register and if I manually push the ball rollover next to the plunger the backboard displays the number of balls, but the play field doesn't register anything, no chimes no points not even the flippers.
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Sandman wrote:So...

I got it to stop resetting (only on the 5 ball setting, the 3 ball setting just puts it back in the reset loop.) The 1,000 digit score reel doesn't reset unless the reel displays a 9. Even after it resets, the ball launcher doesn't register and if I manually push the ball rollover next to the plunger the backboard displays the number of balls, but the play field doesn't register anything, no chimes no points not even the flippers.
Was this purchased as a project? Schematics are definitely going to help here.

Do you know how long the game has been sitting?
Current Collection