LotR Cave Shot question - SOLVED!

Tech Help, Restorations, Refurbishments, "Shop Out" Photos, Notes
bmaster31

LotR Cave Shot question - SOLVED!

Post by bmaster31 »

Hey guys,
It appears that our LotR machine is counting the cave shot as a sword shot for all modes/locks/etc. Is this normal or do we have a glitch somewhere?

I see from some of your sig's that a few of you own LotR machines and I was wondering if you could shed some light on this. My family owns this machine and it sits in our cabin up north so it doesn't get a lot of play time and it was our first machine and was sold to us functioning 100% (supposedly). So when When I first started seeing this I just assumed that because the cave shot ejects to the sword lock area that it must just count it as a sword shot. But as I play more machines and am getting more familiar with the machines it seems really odd.

I have done several switch tests and everything appears to be registering just fine for all 3 sword ramp switches. One thing I will check more closely next time I'm up there is if a good knock to the walls of the cave shot triggers switch at the bottom of the sword ramp or anything else odd.

My other thought was that it may be a difficulty setting somewhere? But I did a factory reset when we first installed it and haven't changed it since and I feel that would be an odd default setting.

Thanks for any input
Last edited by bmaster31 on Sun May 29, 2016 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
ralphwiggum

Re: LotR Cave Shot question

Post by ralphwiggum »

I am trying to follow but am a little confused.... Are you getting spotted a KEEP letter when you hit the cave? If not, and it is just showing as a successful ramp shot to the sword see the pic below, that switch I pointed to is most likely out of adjustment or has a broken wire.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, NBA Fastbreak, Williams Phoenix
mr2xbass

Post by mr2xbass »

I saw this same problem on a LotR on route here in MKE years back. In this case it was not the cave's switch per say, but the rollunder on the wire form the ball passes through after the cave's VUK. It would award whatever the sword ramp shot would award, be it a lock (when lit), jackpot, or advancing completion of a mode or ring frenzy. IIRC correctly, this glitch would happen only after the cave's VUK, not after shooting the ring, even though the ball passes through the roll under in question after shooting either the ring or the cave.
Idk what the issue was as I was just a player, not the operator. I know that doesn't help solve the problem, but at least you know it's not exclusive to your machine.. unless of course by chance you purchased it from Mitchell Novelty here in MKE..
Last edited by mr2xbass on Mon May 16, 2016 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bmaster31

Post by bmaster31 »

Nope not getting a letter, but it would trigger TTT multiball, gives you credit for a sword shot in the various ring modes, etc.

I'll take a close look at that switch next time I'm up. If that is broken would the game adjust to use the roll over switches to trigger a successful sword shot? I thought it would need both the bottom of the ramp switch as well as the switch you pointed to to count as a successful sword shot?

And I'm sorry for not explaing well, these bugs can be hard to explain.

Thanks!
mr2xbass

Post by mr2xbass »

Also in my experience with this 'glitch', the sword ramp still worked as it should have. It's just the roll under acted the same as the sword's action.
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

In this case, it sounds like a broken wire making intermittent contact with the switch. Everytime it makes contact, it fires the switch. I believe the wiring for that switch goes down by the roll under switch, so check that whole are carefully.

I would put the game in switch test and start really pounding on the playfield to see what shows up.
Current Collection
BigDaddyBanjo

Post by BigDaddyBanjo »

I had a similar problem with my LOTR, and it was the roll under switch on the wire form. Put it in switch test mode and check that switch. If it doesn't register it thinks the ball came from the ramp and scores a KEEP letter.
Home Collection : FT, JD,Paragon, POTO, GB, WCS, TWD, WPT, SMVE, BK, HS, Gorgar and Bank Shot.
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

BigDaddyBanjo wrote:I had a similar problem with my LOTR, and it was the roll under switch on the wire form. Put it in switch test mode and check that switch. If it doesn't register it thinks the ball came from the ramp and scores a KEEP letter.
That makes sense... i think i remember this switch getting beat on quite a bit.
Current Collection
bmaster31

Post by bmaster31 »

mr2xbass wrote:Also in my experience with this 'glitch', the sword ramp still worked as it should have. It's just the roll under acted the same as the sword's action.
This is correct, the sword is still functioning fine.

Also I mis understood the question about a KEEP letter, but yes it is awarding the letting when I hit the cave shot.

I will look into these suggestions soon. Thanks for all the tips!
bmaster31

Re: LotR Cave Shot question - SOLVED!

Post by bmaster31 »

Resolved the issue, turns out the guys we got the machine from had the two switches wired wrong. The "sword completion switch" and the "rail exit switch" were reversed. Easy enough to switch them back under the playfield.

Glad I brought my tools up as a wire for the right flipper broke, as did the wire at the top of the legolas shot. Did a quick cleaning while the glass was off and it's playing better than ever!

As always thanks for the help!
Brandon
cad-kid

Re: LotR Cave Shot question - SOLVED!

Post by cad-kid »

Good fix! Thanks for the reply.