Vacuum Forming Available Here

Pinball Discussion, Location Games, Etc.
mr2xbass

Vacuum Forming Available Here

Post by mr2xbass »

Earlier this year, I joined a local (Milwaukee) DIY community workshop, www.milwaukeemakerspace.org
Among all the amazing utilities this workshop offers*, I now have 24/7 access to an industrial vacuum former. The maximum frame size is roughly 32"x26" and there are several mask frames for forming any size smaller than 32x26. I joined this space specifically for the vacuum former and finally have gotten around to completing my first "prototype" reproduction ramp for my Gottlieb Spring Break. I formed it using 0.02" PETG because that's what they had lying around. It is strong enough to withstand the barage of the ball, but too flimsy to be practical (only dead-on shots make it up the ramp, otherwise they bounce around because of the plastic's thinness). I knew the .02 would be too thin, but I wanted to do a test run to make sure my mold was accurate before forming with a thicker PETG (0.1" - 0.118").

Anyway, long story short, if any of y'all have a pinball project requiring vacuum forming but you're hesitant to spend the money to build a home hobbyist forming box because it's only one piece you need, lmk. I'd be happy to form a mold you create yourself or to assist in making a mold for whatever reproduction part you may need!

*seriously, the electronics library alone.. I haven't had to place an order to [insert name of your favorite online electronic component supplier here] since joining; diodes, resistors, transistors, capacitors, LED segmented displays, etc., they have it all. I also have 24/7 access to 3D printing, laser cutting/engraving, full metal shop, full wood shop, powder coating, CNC routers.. also has a beat-to-shit unkept Bally Space Invaders on free-play which, upon joining, I promptly gave a quick once-over cleaning.
Hilton

Re: Vacuum Forming Available Here

Post by Hilton »

I would love to learn vac forming. If you ever want to set up a day where you are going through the process and want a helper, please let me know. I take instruction well and am pretty handy. Would love to learn this!
mr2xbass

Post by mr2xbass »

Honestly, the actual heat-the-plastic-and-vacuum-it-around-the-mold is the easy part. It is making the mold which is the most time consuming. Like Edison claiming to not have failed 1,000 times in inventing the light bulb but rather finding 1,000 ways to not make a light bulb, I have learned many ways how to not make a mold easily.

Ultimately for this one, I went with Bondo All Purpose Putty. There are several ways to go about making the mold, different materials you can choose from. I feel the best choice is determined by the condition of the piece you are trying to replace. If the piece is in perfect condition and you are just waiting to make more for someone else, silicone is a great choice. If you are trying to make a ramp completely from scratch, wood or metal are nice. In my case with SB, my ramp was in usable condition but had the common breaks and fractures that practically all SB ramps have. So I went with Bondo because I had to fill in spots that were missing. I probably spent 10hrs perfecting the mold, 2 or 3 hours at a time over 4 or 5 days. PITA. But it's done now and I know how to do it for next time.

I just got back from a local place where I was able to get some 1/8" PETG. I should have some pictures available by the end of this week. I will start a Pinside thread also. It hasn't been the smoothest or prettiest process, but I am proud that I got this far. Of course, now my mind is running with the possibilities of 3D plastics and other mods I can create... :)
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Sounds neat. I have a piece of plastic for a Williams Suspense that could use a little vacuum forming. Someday - I really gotta stop robbing parts from that machine :roll:
chaos

Post by chaos »

Hilton, we've got a vacuum former at the hackerspace here in Madison, too. So, like, once you learn it, you wouldn't have to go all the way out to Milwaukee.

@mr2xbass: Do you have pictures of your ramp? That sounds really awesome.
mr2xbass

Post by mr2xbass »

The pull I did on 1/8" PETG last night came out.. less than desirable. I am still learning as I go. Though I now know what mistakes I made so I know how to correct them for next time. But also I think the 1/8" is too thick so I am on the hunt for something thinner, I'm guessing .08" or 1/10". 1/8" Might be good for other ramps, but with the way Gottliebs have their mounting at the entrance, the 1/8" was no good. I will definitely post pics when it is complete, along with photos of the process and all the errors I made along the way (failed molds and bad pulls).

But here are two photos of the .02" pull I did just to make sure the mold was accurate. They are clearly rough around the edges but that is because .02" is so thin I was able to cut it with scissors and I was in an excited hurry to put it on the machine. PETG is so crystal clear! You can clearly see right through to the dust on the pf from having no ramp and the glass off for a week. :lol:
Attachments
20160518_163156.jpg
20160518_163140.jpg
Last edited by mr2xbass on Sat May 21, 2016 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
mr2xbass

Post by mr2xbass »

I've never been to the hackerspace in Madison, but I believe it's part of a hacker/maker passport group where if you are a member of your space, you can obtain a visiting pass to other spaces.

@chaos, do you know what kind of former is there (or frame dimensions and heating type)?
mr2xbass

Post by mr2xbass »

One step closer to the finish line: Formed one with .0625" (1/16) thick PETG. Definitely better than the .02", less "wiggle bounce-out denials", but could still stand to be thicker. I have a 5/64" and a 3/32" sheet coming in the mail tomorrow ( www.mcmaster.com )
Fortytwo

Post by Fortytwo »

Mcmaster carr can be expensive. I made a home vacuum former once and used .010. I got a sheet (4 foot by 8 foot) from a local plastic outfit for i think 30 bucks, cant be sure that was a few years ago. I believe the place was midland plastic. They can custom order a sheet and its definitely cheaper! I have also done 1/8 plexiglass with a oven and wooden form and cotton gloves. Both worked ok.
mr2xbass

Post by mr2xbass »

Good to know, thanks for the lead!

Mcmaster was definitely cheaper than anything else I had found so far, and shipping was super quick (less than 24hrs with ground).

I'll give Midland a shout. 1/100th is pretty thin though so I'm curious what prices will be for 5/64th and 3/32nd.
chaos

Post by chaos »

There are also a bunch of cheaper online vendors. I've been working with TAP Plastics for a few years, since their awesome help with my floating (in a pool, not the air) Settlers of Catan project. I've been getting acrylic from Delvie's.

Meanwhile, please keep posting pictures of how this is working out! I like seeing other people's process.