sound reorchestration

Pinball Discussion, Location Games, Etc.
DeaconBlooze

sound reorchestration

Post by DeaconBlooze »

I'm amazed the effort people put into things like this - some of the stuff guys are doing (see IJ and WH20 on pinside) is pretty incredible. I know the sound quality on those games aren't great.. but am I the only one that finds the midi type sounds charming? I know Wh20 sounds a little rough, but I can't say it's ever really even bothered me. It's actually one of my favorite sounding machines ever along with PinBot. I guess something about that music just brings me back to my SNES days or something, who knows.

I think you need the pinsound boards (which I really know nothing about) to take advantage of their work. I think Rick is also causing a fuss, so who knows if it will ever be available. I may give it a try just for shits if it is, maybe I'll change my tune ( :oops: ) once I hear it in full.

Dave "bringing pointless threads to wipinball" Beimborn
Current machines:

Wh20 :: PinBot :: Flash :: Firepower :: BSD :: SW Pro :: Pokerino :: TnA :: Bank Shot :: Stars :: Sky Jump :: Laser Cue
NoahK

Re: sound reorchestration

Post by NoahK »

Lots of games have great soundtracks. Swords of Fury, TX-Sector, Tales of the Arabian Nights to name a few.
The Hobbit, Alien Poker, DE Star Wars, Heavy Metal Meltdown, Total Nuclear Annihilation, Rick and Morty
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

I know wnothing about this sound board thing you speak of... Can you provide more info?

I assume some sort of aftermarket board which allows you to change the sounds on classic B/W titles?
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

I've been tempted to buy one of these boards for my TZ for a while! Pretty cool to be able to add the original Chris Granner DCS mix. The unfortunate thing for TZ is that it was the last game without DCS sound and this would make up for that! Would have also been nice to have one of these for GNR when I had that game. The current sound quality is abysmal!

http://www.pinsound.org/pinballs/wpc-al ... ight-zone/
Current Collection: Rick and Morty, JPPrem, TWDLE, SW Pro, Stranger Things Pro, Godzilla Pro, Pulp Fiction, GNRLE, Doctor Who, Eight Ball, Harlem, Stars, Shadow.
Methos

Post by Methos »

Tommy is horrible as well. Funny how DE bragged about first with digital sound, and then never upgraded after that.

Swords of Fury has to have one of the best audio packages ever. Guess I never realized how good Wh20 was.
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

I like the original sounds as well. It is reflective of the era of the game. The pinsound stuff is really cool though. The only thing I would consider on any games is speaker upgrades, other than that, stock sounds for the win.
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Fish Tales, Wheel of Fortune
lg40

Post by lg40 »

Of all the pins I have, i would love to upgrade the sounds in my T2. I just cant justify the cost. :x
Johnny Mnemonic, Bride of Pinbot 2.0, The Shadow, Police Force, World Cup Soccer, White Water, Judge Dredd, The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends
DeaconBlooze

Post by DeaconBlooze »

Yeah, there are a few mods I feel that way about. ColorDMD is priced maybe 100 too high for me, but it would look really sweet on xmen.. The LED OCDs are probably worth their price, but I don't want to put them in multiple machines.

Such problems.
Current machines:

Wh20 :: PinBot :: Flash :: Firepower :: BSD :: SW Pro :: Pokerino :: TnA :: Bank Shot :: Stars :: Sky Jump :: Laser Cue
Methos

Post by Methos »

I don't have any color DMDs as I can't justify the cost. If it was 30% under current retail, I might consider it. I'll probably pick up one some day down the road.

Toppers are another waste of $ to me, but I know some people really dig them.
DeaconBlooze

Post by DeaconBlooze »

I only care about factory toppers for the most part, with WW being my favorite (it definitely gives fat guys like me an incentive to get that multiball). Other than that, I'm with you, almost none of the aftermarket toppers appeal to me.

I'm hopeful someone comes out with a colorDMD alternative. I had a moment of weakness earlier this week where I probably would have grabbed one, but they were out of stock. Considering they're out of stock almost every time I've looked, I guess maybe they are priced appropriately..
Current machines:

Hilton

Post by Hilton »

I personally really enjoy ColorDMD and have found them priced appropriately. $400 and you can sell your old DMD for $100 if you are lucky.

I enjoy pinball the most when it is 4 of us playing for fun and that is when the colorDMD shows its value for me.
I am always amazed at all the animations I never noticed until seeing them in color. I also think what Eric did on IM is possibly the best coloring to date. It brings that game to a whole new level.
DeaconBlooze

Post by DeaconBlooze »

Wow.. I somehow completely missed the colordmd for IM. . Shit.
Current machines:

Chris K

Post by Chris K »

I have the opposite problem as you guys: I have no tables anybody wants to make mods for. :)
Our pinball table breeding stock:
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Scared Stiff, Black Hole, Roy Clark, Monster Bash Remake, Future Spa, Big Deal, Top Score, Baywatch, Rick and Morty, TMNT, Sinbad, Guns N Roses