Playfield cleaning question

Tech Help, Restorations, Refurbishments, "Shop Out" Photos, Notes
Ran

Playfield cleaning question

Post by Ran »

Hey guys
So as many of you know I've been in the process of shopping a TOM.
I've just finished rebuilding every mech with new parts (BTW- pop bumpers are not as hard as I was expecting) and have the playfield stripped and now need to clean.
Unlike my old WW and Flintstones which had relatively dirty playfields when I was shopping them, this playfield if filthy!
Looking for recommendations on what to use that won't hurt the playfield and do the best job at getting up all the caked on dirt/dust/swirl/etc.

Here's what I currently have on hand:

91% isopropyl alcohol (which I've been using to clean everything metal thus far)
Some Naptha
Crazy Clean All-Purpose cleaner (ordered from pinrestore to clean the cabinet- which it did really well)
909 Heavy Duty Orange Power Plus (which I also ordered from pinrestore because I thought it could be good to have around)
Magic Eraser pads
Novus 1, 2, and 3
A shot glass full of black mamba venom (J/K...but I bet it would be awesome at removing rust) ;)

I'd love some recommendations from you guys because most of you I know very well and trust...and I also know most of you have brought some really nasty pins back to life over the years with amazing results.

Thanks in advance!
-Ran
Current Collection
Hobbit LE | Spider-Man | Mousin’ Around | Counterforce
Hilton

Re: Playfield cleaning question

Post by Hilton »

Novus 2 and a clean rag plus some good elbow grease is what I use. If you need to actually polish then I think you should talk to Mike about the system he uses.

I have not used them but have heard good things about http://www.pinrestore.com/PolishingKits.html
Ran

Post by Ran »

I was originally gonna use Novus 2 but was reading a bunch of articles on Pinside (which is probably my first problem) saying Novus should really be used as a polish more than a cleaner.
This game hasn't been cleaned/serviced in at least a decade if not longer and will need many rounds of cleaning I'm thinking. I will most likely use Novus 2 once I get the heavy grime out since N2 should be able to get some of the more ground in stuff up.
I'm thinking first step is to use a clean paintbrush to loosen all the bigger pieces of grime, then shop vac, then use something a bit gutsy on the first pass (may try a small area in the back with one of the cleaners I bought from pinrestore), then Novus 2 on the field, maybe a little magic eraser on the shooter lane, then Novus 1 on the field, then 3 coats carnauba.

I actually just found an interesting polish that the seller gave me when I bought my sorcerer years ago.
I never actually used it. It looks like a homemade formula.
It's called Patelrock Pinball Cleaner /Polisher / Waxer All-in-One.
I may try this in a small section hidden under plastics as well too.
Unless someone here has used it before and advises against it.

-Ran
Current Collection
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Hilton wrote:Novus 2 and a clean rag plus some good elbow grease is what I use.
I agree 100% 8-) Here are some photos from my 1969 Williams Post Time - this thing was FILTHY! I think the dirt protected the artwork in this case. I only used Novus 2 for cleaning then wax after that.

I love these kind of photos

Roll over button before cleaning

After

All cleaned up

Last photo
TomGWI

Post by TomGWI »

cad-kid wrote:
Hilton wrote:Novus 2 and a clean rag plus some good elbow grease is what I use.
I agree 100% 8-) Here are some photos from my 1969 Williams Post Time - this thing was FILTHY! I think the dirt protected the artwork in this case. I only used Novus 2 for cleaning then wax after that.

I love these kind of photos

Roll over button before cleaning

After

All cleaned up

Last photo

You could eat off that Jeremy. :)

I use Novus 2 followed by Novus 1 and then Blitz Wax.
Unless the paint is already lifting off the playfield you will be okay using Novus.
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

For an initial cleaning... hit everything with scrubbing bubbles...playfield, ramps, etc.. and then get angry at all the time you spent with other stuff...
Last edited by ralphwiggum on Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, NBA Fastbreak, Williams Phoenix
Methos

Post by Methos »

I use Novus 2 as well, but remember it's an abrasive not a "cleaner". Also make certain that you air our your workspace/game room as the Novus products include carcinogens.

I have used the www.pinrestore.com/PolishingKits and do not recommend them. There is nothing to them that the other base products available at much cheaper prices can do for you.
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

TomGWI wrote:
You could eat off that Jeremy. :)

I use Novus 2 followed by Novus 1 and then Blitz Wax.
Unless the paint is already lifting off the playfield you will be okay using Novus.
Thanks Tom 8-)
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

ralphwiggum wrote:For an initial cleaning... hit everything with scrubbing bubbles...playfield, ramps, etc...
I'm looking forward to trying this out. Thanks for the tip :mrgreen:
Ran

Post by Ran »

Methos wrote:I use Novus 2 as well, but remember it's an abrasive not a "cleaner". Also make certain that you air our your workspace/game room as the Novus products include carcinogens.

I have used the http://www.pinrestore.com/PolishingKits and do not recommend them. There is nothing to them that the other base products available at much cheaper prices can do for you.
I had no idea Novus products had carcinogens!
Thanks for the heads up. I've been doing all the restoration work in an unventilated room (do far just 91% isopropyl alcohol and a the pinrestore Crazy Clean). Will definitely get fans going when I pull out the Novus 2/1 after takin Tim's rec for scrubbing bubbles.
Thanks again for all the insight guys.
-Ran
Current Collection
Tim E

Post by Tim E »

Ran, you sniffing Novus again? This explains so much about you! It all makes sense now... :D
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

I actually only use Novus 2 on older playfields. Anything with Mylar or DMD era playfields only get automotive treatment. Novus 2 is a much milder abrasive than a lot of the car products out there, and is great for early solid state and EM era playfields.

I have been in the car hobby since I was 12, and the principles carry over to pinball (which is why Chris Hutchins at HEP is so skilled, because he already had the skill set from the auto industry).....

My method on newer stuff is scrubbing bubbles, then a quick pass with magic eraser and isopropyl, and then a small buffer ball on a drill applying Colorx (you can use any car polish of your choosing), and then finish with wax.

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/p ... colorxreg/

It really is no different than restoring a cars finish as the same principles apply. If you want to understand what you are actually doing to restore shine, here is a great explanation(in the middle)- http://guidetodetailing.com/damage-repa ... zed-paint/
Current Collection
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

I agree with Tim on the Scrubbing Bubbles. I use that on ramps and to get grime off the playfield. Magic eraser also works well on ground in dirt but just be careful because it is abrasive. Once it's completely clean if the playfield is stripped I typically polish it with a high speed buffer and Treasure Cove kit. You can use 3M Finesse it II polish as well as that's basically the same stuff but cheaper. Just make sure to plug all the holes/sockets with masking tape as that makes a total mess of everything. Once you polish and clean up the mess I hit everything with a coat of Carnuba wax after which I'm ready to start re-populating again.

You're welcome to borrow my Treasure Cove kit if you want to try it. I ordered it many years ago and It will be a long time until I run out.
Current Collection: Rick and Morty, JPPrem, TWDLE, SW Pro, Foo Fighters Pro, Godzilla Pro, GNRLE, Alien Star, Space Invaders, Harlem, Stars, Shadow.
Ran

Post by Ran »

Good info/insight Tim!
And I have a small handheld buffer I use for the boat that I'll put to work on the playfield.
BTW- is it just me or does isopropyl alcohol leave a hazy film that's can be a pain to get off?
Current Collection
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Ran wrote:Good info/insight Tim!
And I have a small handheld buffer I use for the boat that I'll put to work on the playfield.
BTW- is it just me or does isopropyl alcohol leave a hazy film that's can be a pain to get off?

Yep, alcohol leaves a haze..... A quick wipedown with Naphtha will remove it in short order with little effort. Also, just remember that the enemy of good is better. Be careful when using a buffer that you don't run too hot or you can burn through your clear/paint. If you have a drill (corded for higher rpms) you can grab a smaller power ball http://www.mothers.com/02_products/05140.html And it is a little more forgiving than a buffer. Buffers by nature or going to be far more messy (as Mike mentioned) because you need to put a lot more product on them to run them. The small ball is nice because you can work inlanes and smaller areas with it (pull the switch down with a toothpick underneath first) and is a lot less messier as you don't need to load it with product to work well.

I use both the buffer and small ball on every playfield.....

Here are a couple of Scrubbing Bubbles with polish examples.....
Attachments
PDR_0344.JPG
PDR_0248.JPG
PDR_0099.JPG
PDR_0098.JPG
Current Collection