Talk me into it or out of it...

Pinball Discussion, Location Games, Etc.
Ran

Talk me into it or out of it...

Post by Ran »

Hey guys
Throwing this out to you all here because I appreciate and trust the people on this forum more than the other forums to give me sound advice.
Due to crazy work schedules and spending time with family I unfortunately find myself playing less pinball. I definitely don't want to get out of the hobby but I've been thinking about selling my 3 games and getting one deep or modern game.
I know variety is the spice of life but as life gets more hectic I'm starting to focus more on quality and less on quantity when it comes to possessions and life experiences.

I'm open to any feedback, pros/cons, hazing, pin-therapy, advice, etc.

-Ran
Current Collection
Hobbit LE | Spider-Man | Mousin’ Around | Counterforce
ralphwiggum

Re: Talk me into it or out of it...

Post by ralphwiggum »

Don't do it. If you have less time for pinball, you wont want to play deep games. I just sold xmen for this very reason. I have about 5 minutes a week for pinball and my deep games don't even get turned on. I replaced xmen with haunted house and pharaoh.
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, NBA Fastbreak, Williams Phoenix
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Also, looking at your collection, you could sell flint and whirl and get a more modern stern, leaving sorcerer as your quick game and your modern stern as your deep game.
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, NBA Fastbreak, Williams Phoenix
Ken

Post by Ken »

ralphwiggum wrote:Also, looking at your collection, you could sell flint and whirl and get a more modern stern, leaving sorcerer as your quick game and your modern stern as your deep game.
This.
u2sean

Post by u2sean »

Have to agree with Tim on this. Deep games are fun and all, but if time is a premium then the shorter games are the only ones that get played. I personally prefer the shorter/faster games myself, where they last 5 minutes or less. Maybe sell/trade 2 and pick up one machine with a deeper rule set and keep one. Whirlwind is usually a pretty fast game (for me anyway!) but Sorcerer definitely falls into the fast category. Good luck!
Tron, Shadow, Shrek, STTNG, TZ, Dimension, TNA, AFMr, Neptune, R&M, Godzilla Prem, King of Diamonds, S&S, Dialed In! LE, Bank Shot, IJ, Scooby CE, ST Prem
Ran

Post by Ran »

This is great feedback.
Thank you guys.
Sorcerer is one of my favorites simply for the fact that it looks amazing and the gameplay is simple yet challenging to get a large score.
Selling Flintstones and Whirlwind would get me in range of acquiring some good stern games.
Finding a Transformers LE would be cool. Or a Tron. Sci-fi is my favorite movie genre.
Current Collection
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

DO NOT DO IT!!!!

I agree that short quick games are way better then 1 deep game.

You ONLY have 3 games and coming from a guy with 15, you don't really have very many ;)
You already have quality over quantity...

I would suggest just switching it up a little. Your WW and FT are both likely able to fetch a good price or get you a trade to something else.

Try that on for size. I know Sean was interested in Flintstones. Maybe sell it to him and buy a similarly priced and quality game?
If that is still not working for you then sell 2 and buy something new.

Jack is almost old enough to start showing more interest. Having 3 more simple to understand games is WAy better than 1 very complex one that is dad's toy.
Once you get the boy interested then you will be happy you have 3 to play with him.

Side note, you also know that if you go down to 1 it will be a battle to get back to more in the future shoudl you change your mind.

Whatever you do, I support it becuase ultimately you need to be happy with the hobby.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

also, if you want to temp trade for something LMK.

I would like to play flint for a bit.
tullster

Post by tullster »

I'd tend to agree with the guys Ran. Trimming down to 2 games for a guy in your situation sounds ok. I know you've been pondering selling Flinstones for a while, and if you can part with Whirlwind, you'd have a good chunk of cash for a game & theme you REALLY like (but don't forget to factor in what's a good theme for the family). When/if things settle down you can always add to the collection again.

For me, RoboCop is my fast ass-kicker and the newer Sterns & Addams are (sometimes) the "kick back & enjoy" games. I'm at the point in life where I'm content with what I've got. I figure that in looking at the big picture there are plenty of other distractions in life that give pinball a backseat sometimes :cry: . Be sure to make it a family decision. The kids probably won't really care, but be sure all's good with the Wife before you do anything.

Good luck in your decision!!
Tully
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

Going down to 1 pin would be a mistake. I really like how your collection stands currently but understand the need to mix things up. I would just sell one game and try to save up a little bit more and get a cheaper Stern Pro like Transformers or Avengers or even something like Ripley's. These seem to all go for <$3500 now. X-Men Pro is also a lot of fun and is near that price. Or there are a lot of good Wms/Bally games in the $2-3K range that may be worth trying out.

If you decide to sell Whirlwind I know where a nice one is that you can stop and play anytime :D
Current Collection: Rick and Morty, JPPrem, TWDLE, SW Pro, Foo Fighters Pro, Godzilla Pro, GNRLE, Alien Star, Space Invaders, Harlem, Stars, Shadow.
Ran

Post by Ran »

These responses are exactly why I reached out to you guys.
Going down to one game does seem silly since I have comfortable room for 2 games in my space (the third in there now does shrink the room quite a bit.
Flintstones and whirlwind will most likely be up for grabs soon.
And Jodi is cool with whatever decisions I make with regards to the games. She knows how much pinball means to me and just wants me to be happy. But I will most definitely add a game that is family friendly.
The idea of a newer game intrigues me. And Jack loves watching the DMD and newer games have a lot more going on there.

It will be hard to part with WW and flintstones. They were my first Sys 11 and WPC head to toe shop/restoration jobs that built my confidence. But change is good and hopefully if they do go they stay in WI.
Once again, thank you guys for helping me think this through.
Current Collection
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

I should have waited to buy your wwind, doh ;)

Be sure you talk to Sean about Flintstones.

If he passes, LMK if there is anything in my colelction you are interested and maybe we can make a trade (not sure if I have anything that fits your bill)?
Ran

Post by Ran »

Hilton wrote:I should have waited to buy your wwind, doh ;)

Be sure you talk to Sean about Flintstones.

If he passes, LMK if there is anything in my colelction you are interested and maybe we can make a trade (not sure if I have anything that fits your bill)?
Definitely been chatting with Sean.
You still have dibs on WW if you want a pair ;)
I never had any intentions of selling it until recently.
My games are such a source of pride and that's partially why I want to make some changes.
I tend to get sentimental and protective. Two traits that are great when it comes to friends and family...not great when it comes to possessions.
Current Collection
tullster

Post by tullster »

I thought of this thread today... Rollin' on ball 2, extra ball lit, shots are being made..... Then the voice.... :roll: .....I just shut it down and walked away :oops: :evil: :evil: :cry:
Methos

Post by Methos »

I have noticed that many pin heads have these episodes where they have to do "something"...sell, downsize...what ever you want to call it. I just did it with Funhouse - but now looking to pick up another game to take it's place.

I went to Riponfest today (don't ask) and they had a cars how going on. I see the owners sit on the side of their vehicles and I thought what fun is that. But then I realized that it is really about the people. Same with pinball - it's hanging out at our expos and our tournaments, and our league nights.

Hilton said last weekend it felt like a family now, and it kinda of does. That's the best part about it all. So if it takes 2 games or 40 games, whatever you can afford, support, maintain (ugh!) and have the wife allow I guess. :)

And you can't go wrong with the new Sterns. Great games all the way.