GTB 80B board work???

Tech Help, Restorations, Refurbishments, "Shop Out" Photos, Notes
Hilton

GTB 80B board work???

Post by Hilton »

Can anyone tackle this board which is in need of repair?
alternatively would you suggest someone to send it to or is there a remake/ new one that would work?

Happy to pay someone if they can fix it and prefer to hand it over to one of you guys that are local and good at this.

It is for my Night Moves.
Attachments
P6050831.JPG
Hilton

Re: GTB 80B board work???

Post by Hilton »

P6050833.JPG
more pics
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

P6050836.JPG
one more
pinball4ever

Post by pinball4ever »

Hey Hilton,

That doesn't look bad at all. If you're willing to give it a try here's what I do:

1. Remove the battery
2. Use a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and water to neutralize the alkaline damage
3. Use a certain type of steel brush to carefully clean off any alkaline (not sure how to describe the brush I use, wooden handle and a little bigger than a toothbrush)
4. Carefully rinse off the damaged areas of the board with warm water
5. Use some alcohol to clean the damaged area of the board (optional)
6. Use a shop vac in reverse to blow all the excess water off the board and out of any small areas
7. Replace any components that don't check out or appear to be damaged (also reflow solder, repair traces, etc.). May not need to do anything.
8. Double and triple check everything and bench test the board (or stick it back in the game if you feel confident testing it there)

I've had great success using the above steps. I wouldn't be surprised at all if you do the above and the game boots (assuming no other issues with the board). I'm sure there are better instructions with illustrations out there.

If anyone else has other ideas to add or doesn't agree with what I do, please add yours! :D
Tallon

Post by Tallon »

I'll agree that it doesn't look too bad. I did a Bally mpu board like this and it turned out good. Best advice is to get it quick. Get the battery off and neutralize the damage with vinegar and then rinse with distilled water. I used rubbing alcohol after that to remove the water and then air from compressor to blow whatever us left out from under the chips. Let sit for a day or so and check it. After that it's replace EVERYTHING the alkaline touched to make sure there is not problems. Nothing like it creeping up a memory chip leg and getting inside to make all kinds of weird stuff happen. Make sure you check all the traces and do a light sand if your not sure. You can always use nail polish in a pinch to re-mask a trace if need be, just make sure you use clear to make sure there is no metal flake in the polish.

I would give it a try if it was a spare but if it's your main board I'm a little apprehensive about volunteering services. Others are better then me I'm sure. Btw, I just use a cheap toothbrush to scrub the board. The cheaper the better since the cheap ones seem to have the stiffest bristles. Lots of pics and take your time :)
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

thanks for the info guys.

I found someone local willing to take this on. I think I will have anyPin installed at the same time. Then this will never be a worry in the future.
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Boards like this go into the dishwasher for me (actually, almost all boards I am reworking go into the dishwasher). Anytime something is acid damaged, it is hard to know exactly the extent of it as it tends to bubble under the traces. In the dishwasher, anything that is suspect peels away, leaving nice clean metal exposed to see exactly what you are dealing with. If the board has any relays, those will fill up with water, but those can be drained super easy. I think take a hair dryer and thoroughly dry the board once out.

As far as acid damage goes, this one isn't too bad, whoever is doing the board work for you should get through it pretty easily.
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, NBA Fastbreak, Williams Phoenix