2015 Season- Please Take Poll

I would like to see 2014-2015 setup like the following-

1) Finish Season in September, Start new Season in October with IFPA monthly reporting
20%
2) Finish Season in September, Take short break, Start Calendar Season with cumulative points
27%
3) Finish Season in September, Take short break, Start Calendar Season with monthly points
33%
4) Finish Season in December, No Break, Start Calendar Season with cumulative points
7%
5) Finish Season in December, No Break, Start Calendar Season with monthly points
13%

Total votes: 15

ralphwiggum

2015 Season- Please Take Poll

Post by ralphwiggum »

So as we are coming into the second half of our first season, we should probably get our thoughts put together for season 2. There are a couple of scenarios we should discuss, and I think having the poll filled out will be helpful for everyone as well. So feel free to discuss while you take the poll as well.

The 5 scenarios I can see are the following (feel free to note another scenario and we can add it to the poll)-

1) Finish the current season in September like originally planned, with monthly results being reported to IFPA. New Season would Start in October with monthly results being reported to IFPA.

2) Finish the current season in September as originally planned, with monthly results reported to IFPA. New Season would start in January. Instead of monthly points, kick of a cumulative calendar year season.

3) Same as above, but with monthly points instead of cumulative.

4) Extend the current season to December, and then start the new season in January with cumulative points for the calendar year.

5) Same as above, but with monthly points instead of cumulative.
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Fish Tales, Wheel of Fortune
ralphwiggum

Re: 2015 Season- Please Take Poll

Post by ralphwiggum »

Thinking out loud- I would like to see the season end in September like originally scheduled, take a short break, and then start 2015 in January with a cumulative scoring system for the season. I think there would be a little more incentive for those in it "for the long haul". I also think it would raise up the competitive nature of the league just a little bit as well. I love the casual feel of the league, and I love hanging out with everyone, but for myself, I may actually take the time to read a rule sheet or two ahead of time, knowing that the end of the season rankings are the ones that count the most.

As far as ending in September instead of December, we have a lot of families in this league, and each school year is different. It is kind of hard to gauge a schedule until you are a couple of months into the year. Having a little "reset" would be a welcome thing for myself (after participating in two leagues and having a third kid in August).
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Fish Tales, Wheel of Fortune
Ken

Post by Ken »

I'll throw my vote in with Tim. Just because he's my buddy. I really could go for 2 or 3 though. After a year of 2 leagues I've realized I'm not getting any better so the points aren't that big of a deal to me. But I am having a lot of fun. I'll talk with Alec tomorrow and see if he plans to continue with league. If he does obviously he would vote with Tim and I as we enjoy the carpool.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

I vote we extend through the end of the year. I don't want a break and would rather play more pinball ;) I also am all for more IFPA points for those of us in the hunt for 2014 SCS and the invite to play at Tom's.

I do not really care if we do monthly or annual IFPA reporting.

I guess my slight preference is to report monthly, as I like that even someone that was previously in last (or near it; Garret and Mark; sorry guys but you are the perfect example ;) ) place in overall standings can come in this late in the season and win first for a single month and hence get way more IFPA points from that single hot performance than they will for the total season. I guess I like this casual format more even though it seems to go against me personally in points.

I see annual reporting = incentive to come with your game face EVERY month and more competitive. The incentive to come each month is good.

I see monthly reporting = incentive to come have fun with the group each month and if you have sucked it up you can still get rewarded with a single hot month.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Hilton wrote: the hunt for 2014 SCS and the invite to play at Tom's.
Has this been confirmed? Location I mean.
Tim E

Post by Tim E »

I agree with Hilton on this one, except I want the season to end in September bc it started last year at that time and it would be a full calendar year...Hilton just wants more time to catch me. Dick. :D
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

My vote would be to skip the September month for league and make the final 2014 season league night in October. -And then kick off the new season in November. I know the Fall is busy for people with kids, and then there's also a lot going on pinball wise between Mad Rollin' in Sept. and Expo in October and also trying to schedule around home Badger football games which are plentiful in Sept.. Maybe for future years' we would just run a 10 month league starting in November and ending in August? That would give us a little bit of a break between seasons and also make it less reliant on hosts and would also allow us to distribute more points on each league night.
Current Collection: Rick and Morty, JPPrem, TWDLE, SW Pro, Stranger Things Pro, Godzilla Pro, Pulp Fiction, GNRLE, Doctor Who, Eight Ball, Harlem, Stars, Shadow.
BigDaddyBanjo

Post by BigDaddyBanjo »

A couple of thoughts...

I like ending in the fall as it seems the best time to have most members there for a Awards Ceremony of some type (and yes I do expect a door prize for bravely playing the role of bracket fodder for you guys all year long!)

In general I like the idea of monthly reporting, but it would be nice to give some advantage for showing up regularly. Maybe a system that allows the members with the highest attendance the chance to select their first game?

Really though, I am really happy with how the first year went. I am for any system proposed for next year that gets most of you guys back for the second stage of my long-term hustle where I finally get take all of your money $1 at a time...
Home Collection : FT, JD,Paragon, POTO, GB, WCS, TWD, WPT, SMVE, BK, HS, Gorgar and Bank Shot.
tullster

Post by tullster »

My first thought is that November & December could be good "break" months due to the holidays & stuff. But then to be honest, a Pinball Holiday Party would be sweet!

I don't care what you guys decide. They're all OK options by me. If you need a tie-breaker vote, I'll toss the coin or better yet, we can have a Pinball Playoff to decide!
Methos

Post by Methos »

While I love playing each month - it might be a good idea to take a "break" for a month or two, although Sept - Dec is a bit too long. Maybe make it a 10 month league.

As for points, I would rather see a cumulative total, but either way is fine. What I would not mind seeing is adding some skin in the game. Maybe do a monthly reporting structure for points, but have everyone add in $5 each month and have a final end of year payout, tiered of course. Love the casual feel to it all, but would not seeing some $ on the line - nothing that anyeone will get rich on, but something to give it a kick- believe the Milwaukee league does this.

Which ever way we decide, really pleased at how fun it was this past year. Ian and I both look forward to every event.
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

What if we did something like this Cumulative for the year with no pay in, but a side tournament each month on one game where high score for the night takes all? Or something along those lines. Even if you are statistically out for the year, the chance to win 75 each month on a side game is certainly appealing.
Current Collection
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

I have zero desire to pay in for league for competitive prize pool purposes. It honestly takes much of the fun out of it for me once prize money is involved. JMHO.

edited: to say that is is really just the cash aspect of it that I dislike. I am fine with some sort of physical prize. I would even do something like each member pays $50 fee for the year and Tim N uses his magic skills to find a sweet solid state machine at a good price ($1000 or less) to use as a prize. I don't know what it is but cash can make things negative in my POV.

I am happy to pay in towards end of year trophies.
I am happy to pay additional to hosts >> I think often the $10 may not cover host costs?
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

where are the straggler voters at? only 14 in so far.

need a few less patsys to get in on the voting. A break... Who needs a break from pinball? Damn wimps ;)
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Hilton wrote:A break... Who needs a break from pinball? Damn wimps ;)
All of us old guys with kids, LOL....
Current Collection
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

I figured that was the majority reason. Well, that and Ken likes having a DD so he has to do what you tell him ;)