League Rules & Scoring

administrator
Site Admin

League Rules & Scoring

Post by administrator »

$10 to the Hosting person (cover food and drinks)

First round of play for the night is drawn randomly. After the first round is completed, the next grouping will be matched by round results. (So if you finished 1st, you are matched against the other players that finished 1st in the previous round, 2nd matched with 2nd, and so on). Groups will always be sized according to attendance, and there will be some flexibility in group matchups based on size. Groups will always consist of 4 or 3 players.

Each session we play 4 games on different machines, with points given as follows: 7 for 1st, 5 for 2nd, 3 for 3rd, and 1 for 4th (or 7, 4, 1 for a 3 person group). A total of 28 would be the max a player could achieve in a single night, but it's a rare occurrence. Add up the points for a season and that's your rank. At the end of the regular season we split the group into "A" (top 8 players), "B" (next 8 players). We then have an end of season double elimination tournament to determine final standings.

Absents/Groups

Pre-playing is NOT allowed. Absents will be handled as follows: 1st absent 80% of league average, 2nd absent 60% of league average, 3rd absent 40% of league average, 4th absent 20% of your league average. Note: that is your league AVERAGE, so the score for your absent session will go up or down based on your future performance. The average will be calculated only after an individual has participated 3 times.
administrator
Site Admin

Re: League Rules & Scoring

Post by administrator »

Copied from Hilton's other post for continuity-

JUST an IDEA> tossin it out there.

Each game at a hosts house being played on league night provides points for 1st to last for high scores. Host can designate how many plays count >> i.e. 1 play, 2 plays, as many plays as you fit in after everyone plays. Basically, the host gets leaway to make the rules fit his/her style and collection.

1 point per person in attendance that night. this gives weight to beating more people if more show up on a given night

Example> 10 people show up. Host decides 3 games in league play. 1st on game A gets 10 points, last on game A gets 1 point. Same for the other 2 games.

More people show up, then the host designates fewer games in league play so everyone can get through them. Fewer people show up then the host designated more games so a chance to get more points for the evening.

Alternative method would be to award a set number of points per league night and let each host decide how to award. Someone may want to feature a new game so they could say all points are being awarded on a single game that night. Other hosts may want to have emphasis on a special game in their collection.

just tossin it out there and in all honesty I am fine with whatever and could care less about point play. I am more pumped just to see a league forming where we can get together once in a while and have some fun.
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

That is an interesting proposal.... So does the host get points counted for playing as well? I could see where that would be an unfair advantage to the host (I mean not completely, but the host already knows all the nuances of their own games).
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, NBA Fastbreak, Williams Phoenix
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Yeah, I figure it should be acceptable for the host to play on their own league night. I still regularly get stomped on my own games so it will likely not be much of advantage for all host. That said I think it is a nice perk for anyone hosting to have home field advantage for the night ;)
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

I volunteer to host every month with 1 game per played per player... LOL... it is an interesting concept for sure, and it could make for some really interesting league play. I think the only disadvantage would be for guys that aren't able to host due to space constraints. May be to mix it up a bit, we draw game names with each game that is available for play put into the hat. The games the host would most like to play get more entries into the drawing... Sort of like an NBA lottery... The crappy teams get the better shot at the number 1 pick, but not guaranteed.

Anyway, I like the concept of the host having some weight into the decision making, it makes people play games they may not necessarily have tried (or thought about trying).
Current Collection
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

I think the host should be eligible to participate for points. I do think a small handicap may be a fair way to take some of the home field advantage away. I guess we would just need to decide how many points we are going to award each league night and what would be acceptable handicap? maybe something between 3-5 points? I think for the most part it probably won't make that much of a difference. I tend to play my worst when I have people over. The one situation where it may not be fair is if it's a new game (like WOZ) or a rare game (like Jolly Park) where the host has a definite rules knowledge advantage.
Current Collection: Rick and Morty, JPPrem, TWDLE, SW Pro, Foo Fighters Pro, Godzilla Pro, GNRLE, Alien Star, Space Invaders, Harlem, Stars, Shadow.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Have we decided on league scoring format?

I really do not care what we do. My only real preference is that I get to play lots of different games. For example, I would hate to be over at Tim's place and not be able to play Jolly Park because I am put into a different bank of games.

I actually am a big fan of "play everything once" and rank everyone from top to bottom on each game. Lowest combined rank on all games wins for that night.

I am fine with whatever.
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

So thinking about the rules a bit more, here are my thoughts-

I do like the idea of keeping the rules somewhat static to other leagues. This keeps a little continuity from league to league, and keeps things fairly easy to keep track of.

So in the Milwaukee league (that was emulated from the larger Chicago area league), There are two divisions (roughly based on skill). This has advantages and disadvantages, but in our league, I am not sure this would work so well. While there are a variety of skillsets, You don't ever get the opportunity to play all players in the league (Which is a lot of fun).

Here are my thoughts-

Whatever number of people show up for the league, we split into equal number of groups for the night. So if 20 people show up for the night, we have 5 groups of 4. If 18 people show up, we have 3 groups of 4, and 2 groups of 3.

We draw names for the initial group matchings. After the first round of games is completed by all groups, the results play each other in new groups- So, if I took 3rd, I play my next game against all of the other guys that placed 3rd in their group. (1st plays 1st, etc.) We continue to do this for FOUR games total. So for the night, we play FOUR rounds.

Points would be distributed based on group size- A group of four would be 7(1st),5(2nd),3(3rd),1(4th) and a group of three would be 7(1st),4(2nd),1(3rd).

All games that are setup for the league night are placed into a hat and drawn randomly. The goal is to not have the same people play a game twice, but in some situations this cannot be avoided.
Current Collection
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Hilton wrote:Have we decided on league scoring format?

I really do not care what we do. My only real preference is that I get to play lots of different games. For example, I would hate to be over at Tim's place and not be able to play Jolly Park because I am put into a different bank of games.

I actually am a big fan of "play everything once" and rank everyone from top to bottom on each game. Lowest combined rank on all games wins for that night.

I am fine with whatever.

You beat me to the punch.... See my post below yours. Again, these are just my thoughts, but I think it gives the opportunity to for everyone to have some friendly play with everyone else.

On larger collections, you won't play every game for league that night (luck of the draw), but after the league is over, everyone plays everything until the host kicks everyone out. :D

It is nice, because you get to be somewhat serious in league play for about 1.5-2 hours, and then you get to hang out and play everything for 3-5 hours (or however long you want)......
Current Collection
Methos

Post by Methos »

I like that idea Tim, sounds simple but still gives everyone a chance to play against all players. Not sure I would like to be permentalty divided and never get to go up against have the league.

How are games selected for competition? Is it the choice of the host - or by vote?
Ken

Post by Ken »

My vote goes with Tim's suggestions. Similar to the other league but with some minor improvements.

Mark, games are selected by random draw. We could of course change this if we wanted. Like Tim said, the games you don't get to play in league are played for leisure after competition ends.
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

I like Tim's rule suggestions as well. Draw for teams, and also draw for game depending on which games are made available for league play. I also vote for just a single division as I think for the most part the league members are all pretty close in ability.
Current Collection: Rick and Morty, JPPrem, TWDLE, SW Pro, Foo Fighters Pro, Godzilla Pro, GNRLE, Alien Star, Space Invaders, Harlem, Stars, Shadow.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

MikeS wrote:I like Tim's rule suggestions as well. Draw for teams, and also draw for game depending on which games are made available for league play. I also vote for just a single division as I think for the most part the league members are all pretty close in ability.
Seems like a bunch of threads have disappeared?

Where is the list of current members? I like the idea of a single division but I have a distinct feeling that a select few will be duking it out for top 3-4 and the rest of us will be left in the dust.

Remind me, is there cash involved for prize money? Does it carry over form week to week or pay out each week?
That would impact my vote... I am tired of donating to every event just to play for fun, if you know what I mean :)

I can also see my interest disappearing very quickly if I am out of the running by month # 2.

No cash involved makes it way more fun and casual for me.
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

I am re-working the member list in the members only section with contact info included.

No cash prizes at the end of the year (at least that would be my vote). I would like to see us each pay $5(just drinks)-$10(drinks and food) to the host each month and the host can use that money to provide some drinks and food/snacks, but we can leave that to the league. It is nice to not worry about drinks, and just give someone some cash for providing them.

The other league has a $25 entry (one time) and then monthly $10 to the host, but the $25 goes to a trophy and maybe cash prize (don't know, didnt really pay attention). I couldn't care less about a trophy personally, I don't like trophies, and have nowhere to put them.

The points would be cumulitive(sp?) for the season, but no one is really out of it for at least 6-8 months. There are going to be a lot of absences during the season, and that is going to effect the points as well.

My thoughts on absences- You have to play three times to establish an average (the three most recent scores would be your current average), your 1st absence gives you 80% of your average, your 2nd gives you 60%, your 3rd gives you 40%, and your 4th gives you 20%. Anything more than 4 would result in a zero score for the missed date.
Current Collection
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

OK.

I vote

1. No yearly entry fee
2. $10 to the host form each person in attendance for drinks and snacks
3. Since no entry fee or cash payout, then 1 division and cumulative points for the year/12 month period.
4. For absences, Tim's rule sounds good. I know I will miss quite a few during summer months but I suppose there should be incentive to attend.

What are thoughts on non-hosting members adding something extra? I am currently unsure if I will be able to host (limited space and games), but I understand that those guys willing and able to host are what the success of any league relies upon. I have no issues donating a little extra as a non-hoster since I understand it can be a hassle to entertain a bunch of pinheads for the evening and then clean up after them. I feel a little guilty by going over to everyone else house and playing if I am unable to repay the favor by also hosting. I couls pay off this guilt by donating something extra to the host...