Tully's 15 minutes of fame.

Pinball Discussion, Location Games, Etc.
gjbwalker

Re: Tully's 15 minutes of fame.

Post by gjbwalker »

cad-kid wrote:
gjbwalker wrote:Nice Job Tully! I heard you driving in to work this morning.

I think this is the link I heard . . . at work so I can't listen.

http://www.jrn.com/wtmj/shows/wisconsin ... 62631.html
Thanks for the link gjbwalker. Good interview (thumbs up!)

No problem. Just a great interview.
tullster

Post by tullster »

Thanks for all the good reviews guys! I was surprised that a few "normal" :lol: folks I know heard it too!

The producer e-mailed me, and we've been going back & forth... Their Sunday morning guy Steve Daniels heard the interview and wants to have me on (WTMJ 620 am 50,000 watts!!!). We tried to pre-record it today, but it fell thru. We're going to try it live Sunday morning at 9:50 am. If that falls thru, we'll do it next weekend. The Sunday show won't be as big an audience as the morning drive time show was (I imagine folks driving to church and such). At least I'll have the Saturday Tournament under my belt to talk about! Very cool that there's interest in Pinball !!

One result of all this press is that I have been contacted by a few folks wanting to have their games fixed. Two em's and a pachinko. Nothing really for sale...yet. They seem to think their non-working games are worth a lot and they don't want to spend much getting them working!! :roll: Time will tell though. If it helps get a few games out of hibernation and back to life, it's all good!!
Tmac

Post by Tmac »

Almost a week after the event and I am still taking calls/questions at the Waun-A-Bowl. Wisconsin the Center of the Pinball Universe right now! Thank God we have a Godfather!
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Great Stuff!

Just make sure to say the right things to control the conversation Tully.

Things like "It is usually expensive to fix many of these old games in basements if you don't have the right skills, but I like to buy them and fix them for myself"

"It is a labor of love when they are my own machines"

Maybe then all the sunday morning church listeners will be calling you to sell rather than fix for free ;)
tullster

Post by tullster »

* Whew* Another radio show under my belt! Weird, but it doesn't get any easier. As much as I try NOT to say Um, err, and-um etc, I still wind up doing it! I had a list of notes in front of me, but it all goes out the window when you're on. I don't know where the Loch-ness Pinball reference came from, but it was the only rare pinball that came to mind at the moment! The host sorta drives the conversation and I was just riding along! I'll post a link when I get/find it for those who missed it.

They've turned over my contact info to the TV side in case they're interested. Believe me, if they show up at the MGC and any of you are in the area, I'm draggin' you into it!!

Here's a link to the Madison TV Tournament story... http://www.nbc15.com/video?videoid=2790084

I had a blast at Hiltons last night, and was great seeing most everyone again. See you all at the MGC for sure!!

Tully
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Looking forward to a link if anyone finds it! I am sure you did a great job Tully!
Ken

Post by Ken »

Can't wait to hear it Tully! We always say "um" when we are trying to get our thoughts in order. Very hard habit to break when you are on the spot! I got your back at MGC! Thanks for all you do.
tullster

Post by tullster »

Here ya go!

http://www.620wtmj.com/podcasts/news/wi ... 93491.html

9 1/2 minutes !! I think my 15 minutes is now officially used up. Ken, you're next!! :lol:

I didn't get to cover some of the things I would have liked to, but the time flies!! If it helps get a few more people looking into the hobby, it's all good!

Interesting to see if Jon's Fink's/Uptowner/Blackird tourneys get any additional players.
Tmac

Post by Tmac »

Nice Work again Tully! You on Good Morning America this week?
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

Great job Tully! I thought you handled all the questions well and got in a lot of good information about our hobby. For being 9.5 minutes the interview seemed to fly by! And I agree with you on the Who's "Pinball Wizard". It's a good song but they play it for every pinball story!-This one included.
Current Collection: Rick and Morty, JPPrem, TWDLE, SW Pro, Stranger Things Pro, Godzilla Pro, Pulp Fiction, GNRLE, Doctor Who, Eight Ball, Harlem, Stars, Shadow.
DeaconBlooze

Post by DeaconBlooze »

Great job, Tully! You're a natural, Some really good interviews! I'm glad they've been linked for easy access.

Pinball Wizard is referenced in almost any interview or article I've ever seen about Pinball. It's definitely a pet peeve of mine..
Current machines:

Wh20 :: PinBot :: Flash :: Firepower :: BSD :: SW Pro :: Pokerino :: TnA :: Bank Shot :: Stars :: Sky Jump :: Laser Cue
u2sean

Post by u2sean »

Great interview Tully! It's always interesting when someone brings up "I saw a pinball machine on a restoration show and they go for crazy money". You handled it perfectly by saying that's what it costs to hire someone to do it as opposed to taking care of that stuff by yourself. You interview very well. Now that you've got a few under your belt, you're ready for national news! Maybe you should start the "Pinball Marketing Board", sort of like the Beef/Pork/Chicken/Milk marketing boards!
Tron, Shadow, Shrek, STTNG, TZ, Dimension, TNA, AFMr, Neptune, R&M, Godzilla Prem, King of Diamonds, S&S, Dialed In! LE, Bank Shot, IJ, Scooby CE, ST Prem
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

You did a great job Tully! I will say that interviewer was not as good as the last one.

Love the comment about Ian putting up a high score on your game that you need to beat.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Finally got to listen. You sounded like a pro! Why no plug for this site? :)
tullster

Post by tullster »

My feeling was the guy was a pinball fan, heard the Monday interview, wanted me on the show and just wanted to talk a little Pinball. I was waiting for the "Pinball Godfather" thing to come up, but it didn't. Also was hoping to get in a plug for MRP & Spooky, but didn't get the chance. At least I got in the MGC, IFPA & the Milwaukee Bar Tourneys, which is the main thing.

I decided not to plug this website, and the easiest way to explain my reasoning, is "Us & them"... I feel this website is for "Us". The radio interview was for "Them". Sure, anyone can find anything on the internet with a little searching, and hopefully they're interested enough to find this website... But I figured if a listener wants to look into Pinball a little more, The MGC & IFPA websites are good places to start for them, and hopefully some of the listeners will show up at the MGC & Milwaukee Tourneys.

And if you're reading this and are one of them who heard the radio shows, PLEASE introduce yourself here or at one of the events!

Tully