Stern Rawhide Sound board replaced with Arduino/raspberry Pi???

Tech Help, Restorations, Refurbishments, "Shop Out" Photos, Notes
Kirk H

Stern Rawhide Sound board replaced with Arduino/raspberry Pi???

Post by Kirk H »

I have a Stern Rawhide EM with the sound board. The problem is the board sounds like crap and I can't find schematics. I'd like to replace it with an Arduino, raspberry pi, or similar and make my own sounds. This would take relays for inputs, the Arduino or raspberry pi, a power supply, and an amplifier board.

I can figure out most of this but curious if anyone has done this and what recommendations anyone may have for electronics.

Thanks in advance.
Kirk
Stranger Things pro, Funhouse 2.0, Comet, Evil Knievel, City Slicker, Special Force, Lady Luck, Pharaoh, Sorcerer, Lunar Shot, Knock Out, Flight 2K, Mr. & Mrs. Pac-Man, Flipper Fair.
Eric_S

Re: Stern Rawhide Sound board replaced with Arduino/raspberry Pi???

Post by Eric_S »

When I made my 3 Stooges pin, I made my own custom sound board. It was a royal pain, but I got it working. I used "chipcorders" to record the clips I wanted. I still have a few chips if you want use them. I'm sure I have a schematic drawing too of how I implemented the sound. Here is a link to a guy who did all sorts of custom sounds.

http://www.scary-terry.com/dsr/dsr.htm
Eric_S

Post by Eric_S »

I found the schematic
Sound Schematic.JPG
Kirk H

Post by Kirk H »

Eric, I think we talked about this before. I haven't really looked at how the inputs come in the current board yet but I think it's based off of where the chimes would usually be. I'll take a look at this but I think there are simpler ways now compared to when you did this. I would like to change the inputs to be switched based rather than just points based. I suspect an Arduino would do everything you created but much simpler.

I'm curious to see what other feedback I may get here.

That's impressive by the way
Stranger Things pro, Funhouse 2.0, Comet, Evil Knievel, City Slicker, Special Force, Lady Luck, Pharaoh, Sorcerer, Lunar Shot, Knock Out, Flight 2K, Mr. & Mrs. Pac-Man, Flipper Fair.
Eric_S

Post by Eric_S »

I fully agree that there should be an easier way to do custom sounds. Back when I was doing 3 Stooges, options were slimmer. Maybe check into PROC since they have boards for custom games.