LW3 home, pictures attached diagnostic underway

Tech Help, Restorations, Refurbishments, "Shop Out" Photos, Notes
ralphwiggum

Re: LW3 home, pictures attached diagnostic underway

Post by ralphwiggum »

max242 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:06 pm Well, I completed the repair and cleaning of my LW3. New display board, various connectors, ramp switch, contact and switch cleaning, playing field wax, new rubbers, bulbs, & balls. I may look to repair the original display board, not sure. The best thing is I was not in a hurry. Family is coming for the holidays and they will have fun. We are re-arranging basement to place all 3 machines in row. It will be a good time to clean/wax the others. Is there room for a 4th? I wanted to thank everyone for the help and answers to questions. This is a great site. A special shout out to Ralph :) . Again, thanks everyone.
Congrats, your family will enjoy hours of fun on all of your machines.... You have a nice variety for people to play. Trust me there is room for a 4th, in fact, once you start realizing how much unnecessary room things like a dining room take up, you will soon find room for a 5th, 6th, and 7th! :D
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, NBA Fastbreak, Williams Phoenix
max242

Re: LW3 AA battery replacement question

Post by max242 »

All, AA Battery possible issue questions. No issues at this time. My LW3 has a AA battery setup mounted to the CPU board. I have seen other people post about battery leaking issues. I want to avoid this for the future. Been reading about remote mounting AA, Capacitors or CR2302. Looking for recommendations on what others have had success with. Thanks in advance, Max
Current Collection Abra Ca Dabra, Space Odyssey, Lethal Weapon 3
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

You want NVRAM.... I put it in everything I can. No more batteries, ever again. It is super easy with Data East because there is no soldering/desoldering involved.

https://nvram.weebly.com/
Andrew (the seller on that site) is a great guy, you want the 6264 ram.
Current Collection
max242

Post by max242 »

Thanks Ralph - Just ordered - No Soldering, I am interested to see where it plugs in.
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

You replace the ram (near the batteries) with this NVRAM. Make note of chip orientation upon install. There is a notch on the chip to show orientation.
Current Collection
max242

Post by max242 »

Will do :D Looks like location D-5 below the eprom. And good call on a pic for orientation.