King of the Fox & Flippin the Fox Tournaments 2018

Detailed Events Forum. All Calendar Entries point back to events in this forum.
TomGWI

King of the Fox & Flippin the Fox Tournaments 2018

Post by TomGWI »

Save the Date October 27th 2018
Registration opens Saturday August 25th at 9am
https://sites.google.com/site/flippinthefoxpinball/
Last edited by TomGWI on Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hilton

Re: King of the Fox & Flippin the Fox Tournaments 2018

Post by Hilton »

man your collection just keeps getting more andmore awesome!!!!

When do you hope to open registration?
TomGWI

Post by TomGWI »

Probably late August early September. I figure too early for most to know their schedule.
Will post in this thread when I have a more definitive date for registration.
TomGWI

Post by TomGWI »

Registration will open Saturday August 25th at 9am
epthegeek

Post by epthegeek »

Gonna give the new ‘fair strikes’ format a try for part two of the day?
Current pile of ridiculously expensive "beep-boop-bing" boxes: Cactus Canyon, Theatre of Magic, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Metallica (Pro), Iron Man, Spider-Man, Scared Stiff, Iron Maiden, Rick & Morty
TomGWI

Post by TomGWI »

epthegeek wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:06 pm Gonna give the new ‘fair strikes’ format a try for part two of the day?
Going to run the tournaments the same way I did the Appleton MatchPlay/Strikeout event. I really like the format.

The old format was too tough to run having the Strike Tournament running concurrently with the MatchPlay Tournament. This way I keep my sanity, people play more pinball and 2 tournaments are still run.
epthegeek

Post by epthegeek »

Yeah, but for the strikes portion, was wondering if youd try fair strikes instead of straight knockout. The ‘zero strikes for first, 2 strikes for last, 1 strike for anybody else’ new way to do knockout that keeps more people in longer with like 5 strikes instead of 3.
Current pile of ridiculously expensive "beep-boop-bing" boxes: Cactus Canyon, Theatre of Magic, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Metallica (Pro), Iron Man, Spider-Man, Scared Stiff, Iron Maiden, Rick & Morty
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

I was told the cool kids are calling that "progressive strikes" format
TomGWI

Post by TomGWI »

epthegeek wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:40 pm Yeah, but for the strikes portion, was wondering if youd try fair strikes instead of straight knockout. The ‘zero strikes for first, 2 strikes for last, 1 strike for anybody else’ new way to do knockout that keeps more people in longer with like 5 strikes instead of 3.
So it is kinda like papa scoring in a way. 4-2-1-0. Great to be first, sucks to be last.

I just wonder if we would be ending at 2am.
I considered making it a 4 Strike Tournament instead of 3.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

TomGWI wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:54 am
epthegeek wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:40 pm Yeah, but for the strikes portion, was wondering if youd try fair strikes instead of straight knockout. The ‘zero strikes for first, 2 strikes for last, 1 strike for anybody else’ new way to do knockout that keeps more people in longer with like 5 strikes instead of 3.
So it is kinda like papa scoring in a way. 4-2-1-0. Great to be first, sucks to be last.

Trent runs a big Progressive strike tourney and the impression I get from him is that they are "more fun" and take a similar amount of time if the math works out for additional strikes.

Current Format awards an average of .5 strikes per match (4 players and bottom 2 get strikes; 2/4 = .5)
Progressive strikes format awards an average of 1 strike per match (4 players where 2nd and 3rd get 1 strike and 4th gets 2 strikes; 4/4 = 1)

You could go to 5 strikes with progressive and likely get done in similar time (possibly quicker?)
TomGWI

Post by TomGWI »

Hilton wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:32 am
TomGWI wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:54 am

Trent runs a big Progressive strike tourney and the impression I get from him is that they are "more fun" and take a similar amount of time if the math works out for additional strikes.

Current Format awards an average of .5 strikes per match (4 players and bottom 2 get strikes; 2/4 = .5)
Progressive strikes format awards an average of 1 strike per match (4 players where 2nd and 3rd get 1 strike and 4th gets 2 strikes; 4/4 = 1)

You could go to 5 strikes with progressive and likely get done in similar time (possibly quicker?)
So how does the TGP work then?
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

no idea how that one calculates under the progressive strikes.
TomGWI

Post by TomGWI »

Hilton wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:40 am no idea how that one calculates under the progressive strikes.
Might be something I would consider in the future but for now going to keep things the way they are.
TomGWI

Post by TomGWI »

Hilton wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:40 am no idea how that one calculates under the progressive strikes.
Might be something I would consider in the future but for now going to keep things the way they are. Also might consider doing a 4 Strike Tournament but it will depend on timing of the first event.
epthegeek

Post by epthegeek »

No, not progressive strikes. Fair strikes, they’re not the same. There’s a thread on tilt about it. Original was ‘keefer strikes’. Group of 4 is 0-1–1-2, three is 0-1-2, two is 0-2. Has the net result of keeping more people in till later rounds and then mass culling rather quickly, he ran a bunch of simulations.

http://www.tiltforums.com/t/thoughts-on ... oup/2166/7