Expo

Pinball Discussion, Location Games, Etc.
DeaconBlooze

Expo

Post by DeaconBlooze »

Does anyone have any insight on whether this year is even worth attending? It's actually still my favorite show, so even if it's close to on par with the previous couple of years I'd probably still make the trip. If it's going to be 20 games and angry patrons for the entire weekend, I'll just stay home.
Current machines:

Wh20 :: PinBot :: Flash :: Firepower :: BSD :: SW Pro :: Pokerino :: TnA :: Bank Shot :: Stars :: Sky Jump :: Laser Cue
Hilton

Re: Expo

Post by Hilton »

Sounds like lots of drama and lawyers involved.

I think I am going to sit it out this year and wait to see wha happens.
CftBL

Post by CftBL »

I was reading earlier this week (on TWIP I think) that he has booked all of the remaining space at the hotel convention center for this year. I think it was 5000 sf. It could be a lot of empty space or it could be a lot of fun stuff...
Creature from the Black Lagoon, Twilight Zone, Star Wars Premium, Hobbit
DeaconBlooze

Post by DeaconBlooze »

That's space in addition to what he normally has? That's odd...
Current machines:

Wh20 :: PinBot :: Flash :: Firepower :: BSD :: SW Pro :: Pokerino :: TnA :: Bank Shot :: Stars :: Sky Jump :: Laser Cue
WindRaidor

Post by WindRaidor »

Are you guys talking about the Chicago Pinball Expo?
What’s the drama?

I usually go to that one so if it is going to be iffy I’ll can the hotel room and maybe just go one full day.
Godzilla pro, Foo Fighters Pro, Jurassic Park Prem, P3,TNA, Williams Strike Zone Shuffle Alley, Williams Slugfest, Stern Meteor, Chexx Hockey, Arachnid Galaxy 2.5
tullster

Post by tullster »

I've been going to expo since 1990 when it was basically held in two large conference rooms. It's had ups and downs, but to me, it's a pinball show that's an easy drive and that I will continue to attend. It is what you make of it and has always been a great time for me. The drama and negativity is about one of the organizers that seems to be out of the picture, so at least check it out for one day and have a great time!
Tim E

Post by Tim E »

I agree with Tully, it is what you make of it. I have been going since it was at the Ramada Inn back in the day. They used to get the rarest games on free play, but no more. I have played Pinball Circus, Big Bang Bar, and Joust there for example..
It is a great place for one night where you can at least play one of the new game offerings from Stern,, JJP or other manufacturer. It sadly seems that the Texas Pinball Festival is taking the reigns for new releases...this is odd to me because Chicago has always been the epicenter for pinball...Ralph Wiggum has not made it to Expo in awhile either. I used to love taking all his dollars. :D
u2sean

Post by u2sean »

Rob Berk has taken over, and it looks like Sharpe and others are helping with promotion. I will certainly be going for one night at least to check out the new games, hang out and chat and visit, take some of TimE's dollars, etc... :) It'll likely be different than in years past, but I am thinking in a good way Pretty sure attendees and those providing games won't experience any behind-the-scenes drama that may or may not take place. Looking forward to a great show as always!
Tron, Shadow, Shrek, STTNG, TZ, Dimension, TNA, AFMr, Neptune, R&M, Godzilla Prem, King of Diamonds, S&S, Dialed In! LE, Bank Shot, IJ, Scooby CE, ST Prem
Methos

Post by Methos »

I heard they are running a few rounds of $5 Ghostbusters games this year. ;)
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Methos wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 1:43 pm I heard they are running a few rounds of $5 Ghostbusters games this year. ;)
Damn, I may need to start going back to Expo :D

..... I went from 1999 to about 2015... I used to really enjoy going for the parts tables, but since Al Gore's internet became popular, those table deals have pretty much disappeared.
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, NBA Fastbreak, Williams Phoenix
Tim E

Post by Tim E »

Methos wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 1:43 pm I heard they are running a few rounds of $5 Ghostbusters games this year. ;)
LOL...Sweet! That $5 went towards the best La Bamba burrito I have ever eaten, thanks again Mark! :)
Looking forward to dinner at El Famous Burrito down in CHitown with $15 for dinner ala Mark, Sean, and Wiggum... :lol:
Methos

Post by Methos »

Tim E wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 3:40 pm
LOL...Sweet! That $5 went towards the best La Bamba burrito I have ever eaten, thanks again Mark! :)
Looking forward to dinner at El Famous Burrito down in CHitown with $15 for dinner ala Mark, Sean, and Wiggum... :lol:
It ain't going be no 4 player game, you gotta do it the hard way. One at a time...then you can say you earned it.

8-)
pfcjimmy

Post by pfcjimmy »

Don't do it Mark!!!
DeaconBlooze

Post by DeaconBlooze »

I haven't kept on top of it much, but I heard the Cincy crew may not go. They were good for about 8-10 solid games, and usually a couple rare ones (like Defender last year, I'm pretty sure). I don't know all the drama, I do know that the one time I did bring a game it was a huge hassle, so I get why people get fed up.

I'll probably make a weekend of it, and just buy the daily passes as I need them. If it turns out to be a dud, I'll hang out at some of the local spots. I was at Level 257 not that long ago and that could be a destination in itself!
Current machines:

Methos

Post by Methos »

pfcjimmy wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 7:10 pm Don't do it Mark!!!
:D

No guts, no glory.