Monthly IFPA tournaments > Alt Brew

Detailed Events Forum. All Calendar Entries point back to events in this forum.
Hilton

Monthly IFPA tournaments > Alt Brew

Post by Hilton »

After a personal much needed break from hosting so many events, a few people asked me this past weekend if I would be willing to start back up IFPA events at Alt Brew and I am up for doing so if there is enough interest.

I was thinking starting back up in Sept once the summer/busy outdoor season is over.

Historically this has run on the 1st Thursday of the month (6:30p start), but I was debating moving it to a Sunday (any Sunday of the month would work).

Please share your thoughts on if you would participate and if you prefer Thursday or a Sunday. If on Sunday, then it would likely need to start sometime between noon-2p so we can be done by a hard 5pm finish when the bar closes on Sun.

Please also share your thoughts on format if you have any.
Match play?
Same historical format where you play each game once for qualifying followed by playoff for top 4?
Are you more interested in maximizing IFPA points or ok with fewer TGP % in favor of running a different format?
Some sort of 'league' style play where you accumulate points over a 4 month season?
What do you want?

Now is the chance to share your thoughts on what you would like/ if you would like this.
pfcjimmy

Re: Monthly IFPA tournaments > Alt Brew

Post by pfcjimmy »

images (1).jpeg
images (1).jpeg (9.7 KiB) Viewed 1563 times
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

For a guy that is oddly incapable of even speaking a word to me in person, you sure talk a lot of smack once you are on a keyboard.

It seriously is really the strangest thing. I have never seen a grown man give someone the silent treatment. The looks on people's faces when they see you do it are priceless though, that is for sure.
pfcjimmy

Post by pfcjimmy »

Post one photo=talks a lot of smack :roll:
download.jpeg
download.jpeg (7.94 KiB) Viewed 1553 times
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

I will put you down as "not interested"

Thanks
Ken

Post by Ken »

HARD PASS!
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Not Interested:
Jimmy
Ken

Now that is settled, does anyone have any constructive input?

Preference of day of week?
Preference of format?
Want a $5 buy-in side pot for some cash action?
Interested in maximizing IFPA points or more interested in just a fun format or something that possibly takes less time?

For those that actually are interested in this, I would love to hear your thoughts.
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

I wish I could get out to enough of these to offer a useful opinion. As it is, we struggle to get to every Ballers and league, let alone Schwoegler's (which is closer for us). "Babysitting" is unfortunately the only thing that would make me able to attend. :)
Our pinball table breeding stock:
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Scared Stiff, Black Hole, Roy Clark, Monster Bash Remake, Future Spa, Big Deal, Top Score, Baywatch, Rick and Morty, TMNT, Sinbad, Guns N Roses
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Chris K wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:41 am I wish I could get out to enough of these to offer a useful opinion. As it is, we struggle to get to every Ballers and league, let alone Schwoegler's (which is closer for us). "Babysitting" is unfortunately the only thing that would make me able to attend. :)
I actually wish more bars would offer babysiting services :)

Alt Brew does get quite a few kiddos, esp on Sunday. Could be cool to have a kids competition sometimes also!
I wonder if there are enough pinhead little ones and parents to do a one off event sometime? I am sure in a few more years enough of the local pinhead kids will be old enough.
CftBL

Post by CftBL »

My crystal ball is broken at the moment and my magic 8 ball only came up with a question mark. So neither one is able to tell me what day works better. I know weekends for me tend to be extremely busy. Weeknights are better, but my ability to attend depends on whether or not I'm traveling for work.

That being said, a one-off kids tournament could be pretty cool; would have to be fall/winter time though probably.
Creature from the Black Lagoon, Twilight Zone, Star Wars Premium, Hobbit
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

CftBL wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 8:19 am My crystal ball is broken at the moment and my magic 8 ball only came up with a question mark. So neither one is able to tell me what day works better. I know weekends for me tend to be extremely busy. Weeknights are better, but my ability to attend depends on whether or not I'm traveling for work.

That being said, a one-off kids tournament could be pretty cool; would have to be fall/winter time though probably.
Thanks Mike.

I am curious, would a one-off kids tournament work if it was the Sunday after Mad Rollin? or is that too much pinball for one weekend?
Parents can play Sat in the main event and then I would be happy to run a kids only event on that Sunday. I bet I could even convince Maya to make a few additional trophies just for the kids event :)

It would be very easy to book that Sunday Sept 23rd and I could leave some of my extra games there to have a few more. Could be really fun to introduce the kiddos to competitive pinball and have their own event!
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

My kids are really young... only the 7yo would play. And she's not really a pinball player; it would be SUUUUUPER casual for her. Of course, she's convinced she's AMAZING because when my SF2 had the opto-jackpot problem, she scored >700M by simply keeping the ball alive and flipping. :)

Anyway, a kids tournament would be pretty cool. I think it could be done anytime. With kids who aren't huge pinball nerds, The Alt or Schwoegler's table spread is plenty for a tournament (short ball times, short attention spans). So I don't think MRP is necessary per se. Perhaps it's better to NOT do them at the same time, so it's easier to promote.

But we're far afield from Alt monthlies now... sorry :)
Our pinball table breeding stock:
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Scared Stiff, Black Hole, Roy Clark, Monster Bash Remake, Future Spa, Big Deal, Top Score, Baywatch, Rick and Morty, TMNT, Sinbad, Guns N Roses
pinballgap

Post by pinballgap »

I like the Sunday idea but summer weekends can be a damper. As far as competition tournaments or would saying other places having Sunday tournaments in the Milwaukee area is Blackbird on the first Sunday of the month and Garcade on the second Sunday. I think Geeks mania also does the second Sunday. I will say the turnout on Sundays is impressive at Garcade and not as many but a decent crowd at Blackbird so I see people like to go out to play on Sundays.