I may need board work done- recommendations?

Pinball Discussion, Location Games, Etc.
ralphwiggum

Re: I may need board work done- recommendations?

Post by ralphwiggum »

She's alive! Crap Sockets at U20 and U21.... I had to add jumpers to 5(?) different spots? WHY?!?!?!? I didn't get a picture of it, but underneath the sockets, the traces stop a millimeter short of the through holes, if it weren't for the solder, they wouldn't make a connection. It was REALLY weird to see....They weren't pulled up or anything, just too short.... For good measure, jumpers were made to keep it from happening again....
Attachments
PDR_1318.JPG
PDR_1316.JPG
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Fish Tales, Wheel of Fortune
Ran

Post by Ran »

ralphwiggum wrote:She's alive! Crap Sockets at U20 and U21.... I had to add jumpers to 5(?) different spots? WHY?!?!?!? I didn't get a picture of it, but underneath the sockets, the traces stop a millimeter short of the through holes, if it weren't for the solder, they wouldn't make a connection. It was REALLY weird to see....They weren't pulled up or anything, just too short.... For good measure, jumpers were made to keep it from happening again....
You're a board god!!!
I can't thank you enough. And that is so bizarre. Traces that don't connect? Guess they were trying to save money ;)
Sounds like the sorcerer board is now bulletproof.
Thanks again Tim!
Current Collection
Hobbit LE | Spider-Man | Mousin’ Around | Counterforce
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

What a strange issue! Must have been part of a bad batch of boards but crazy that it's worked until now relying on just the solder. Hopefully these are the only two sockets with the issue but congrats on getting the board working again for Ran!
Current Collection: Rick and Morty, JPPrem, TWDLE, SW Pro, Stranger Things Pro, Godzilla Pro, Pulp Fiction, GNRLE, Doctor Who, Eight Ball, Harlem, Stars, Shadow.
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

U20 and U21 (and I think U17 above them) all have those same closed frame sockets. These sockets are a little different than other closed frame sockets I have seen. In fact, this board just seems a little different than other System 9 boards I have seen. It almost appears as though this was an unpopulated board that had all the components added onto it later (not by the factory). Hard to put a finger on it actually.....

The solder making the connection instead of the trace certainly explains why, when he would press down on the sockets, he would get different results. All of these traces were topside traces too (and thin), and all of them were directly under the closed frame socket. Just a really weird issue.....
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Fish Tales, Wheel of Fortune
Methos

Post by Methos »

I have a couple of side boards that need repair - DMD driver, etc. Anybody else use anyone besides Clive and Rob? I use both - but looking for another alternative.
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Is this something you need done right away? If not, depending on the board, if you leave them with me, I can get to them in the next couple of months. Shoot me an email/PM with what you have and what you need done...
Current Collection
Ran

Post by Ran »

Sorcerer is alive and playing like a champ!
Big thanks to Tully for helping me confirm the issues were in the eprom sockets and a super huge thanks to Tim for fixing and bulletproofing said sockets!

While picking up the board yesterday I got to play WoF for the first time.
Sweet game. Definitely need to plan your shots and strategy on that one. It's a mean game with pretty short ball times that is quite addictive.
For those that haven't played it, don't knock it until you try it.
Current Collection
Hobbit LE | Spider-Man | Mousin’ Around | Counterforce