WTB - DMD Pin for $2500 or less

Buy, Sell, and Trade Pinball Machines and Parts
bmaster31

WTB - DMD Pin for $2500 or less

Post by bmaster31 »

Hey all,
Looking to finally start my own pin collection (the family has a LotR and RFM at the cabin up north). After spending about 6 hours at MGC I realized i really prefer machines with a DMD. I'm in the Milwaukee area but am willing to drive a few hours for a good deal. I am open to lots of different machines, but was looking for something with varied features, ie. couple ramps, few multiballs, unique gimmicks (like cryo-crane in Demo Man) and didn't want to spend over $2500... ideally I would like to be closer to the $2000 mark.

It looks like I was just too late on a Demolition Man and No Fear. I also just started a conversation with someone in Rock Island, IL about a Dirty Harry and NBA Fast Break, but I want to consider all my options.

So any input, ideas, suggestions, deals that anyone has would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Brandon
ralphwiggum

Re: WTB - DMD Pin for $2500 or less

Post by ralphwiggum »

There is a long history with the seller in Rock Island... I had a good transaction with him, but others have not been so lucky. Proceed with caution. As far as DMDs go..... There are a ton of them that fit what you are looking for. It is best to start looking around and reporting what you find here, and we can help you with whether or not you are getting a fair deal or not. I just sold my last couple of DMDs very quickly that would have fit what you are looking for. There are plenty of local collectors here that can help you out for sure.

Again, as you get leads, feel free to post general notes, title, condition here, pictures, etc. here, and we can definitely keep you from being upsidedown fairly quickly.

There are a lot of nice people in this hobby, and there are a lot of people in this hobby that are waiting to make that quick buck off the newer collectors.... Figuring out what is what is always the challenge when you are new to collecting.

Welcome!
Last edited by ralphwiggum on Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, NBA Fastbreak, Williams Phoenix
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

I am from the side that would NEVER deal with the Rock Island guy at all.

Lots of great B list titles out there to choose from so good luck in your hunt and welcome to the hobby!
BigDaddyBanjo

Post by BigDaddyBanjo »

Agreed with Tim and Hilton, proceed with a bit of caution. It is very common to be too enthusiastic in making your first purchase and there are those that will take advantage of that. If you can get to know one of the collectors in your area and see if they might help guide your through the process that helps a lot. Often locals are willing to pitch in with some basic help since that is how many of us got started. As a substitute to that though there are good folks on this site that will help you out with our thoughts and opinions (you will find we all have plenty of those to share :) ).

As for machines, I would encourage you to think about some of the later alphanumeric display games as well (Williams System 11, Data East, Gottleib System 3). They are generally less expensive, and many are as fun (or more so) than lower end DMD titles. Those games are also pretty simple to work on and a good place to cut your chops for learning to maintain games.

Garrett
Home Collection : FT, JD,Paragon, POTO, GB, WCS, TWD, WPT, SMVE, BK, HS, Gorgar and Bank Shot.
bmaster31

Post by bmaster31 »

Thanks for the quick feedback. I've been working with a local amusement company where the my family picked up our Valley pool table, Valley Dart board, 2011 MegaTouch, LotR pinball and Revenge from Mars pinball all for our 'cabin' in the north woods. They have also serviced some vintage games we picked up at auction. So they have been giving me some good input, but I will for sure be bouncing any offers off these forums first.

I'm not really in any kind of rush at this point, so I'm going to take my time picking something that I will like to play for quite some time and tinker with to get more experience fixing and modding. As far as the DMD over alphanumeric, I was looking at picking up a fully shopped/LED'd High Speed in the Madison area, but i played it at MGC and wasn't really that impressed. It just didn't seem like it had many options, everything focused on hitting the one ramp shot with the upper flipper. I saw a Big Guns for sale in the area but when looking up reviews/ratings I'm not sure if that will keep my interest either. But I really am open to any good game regardless of display, I've just enjoyed DMD games over the older displays.

What I am more interested in is your dealings with this guy in Rock Island. Please either post here, or send me an email/message explaining what happened with this guy and what i should watch out for. I was planning on calling him this afternoon to get the conversation started, but maybe I'll skip it if nothing good will come of it.

Thanks Again!
Methos

Post by Methos »

Welcome to the site!

The folks on this board represent a TON of resources at your fingertips. Most retail companies need to charge more in order to cover their overhead. Just realize this when you deal with them.

For $2,500, you can get a very nice B/W B machine. You can also get two lesser value machines for that price as well.
DeaconBlooze

Post by DeaconBlooze »

Here's a thread about the guy in Rock Island. As a disclaimer, I've never really read through the thread and don't know anything about the guy, but I know he has a bit of a reputation:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic ... ock-island

If you're around the Madison area, make sure to stop at the local places to get some more plays on a variety of machines. Schwoegler's has a really nice mix from a lot of different eras.
Current machines:

Wh20 :: PinBot :: Flash :: Firepower :: BSD :: SW Pro :: Pokerino :: TnA :: Bank Shot :: Stars :: Sky Jump :: Laser Cue
Ken

Post by Ken »

I don't know about the rest of you but I really want to hang at this cabin in the north woods!

Good luck on your hunt! As others have said, this site is your most valuable resource. Good, honest people who really enjoy helping each other.

Now I need to go read that Pinside thread. :o

EDIT: After reading the first page of that thread I kid had to laugh that Tim had a good experience with the guy. Phew!
bmaster31

Post by bmaster31 »

Just finished reading that thread... wow, bullet dodged. Last thing i would want is to drive 4+ hours to find a pin that was mis-represented. Thanks for that link.
RustyLizard

Post by RustyLizard »

I had a good experience with him but that's because I sold him parts. We discussed the issues he has had a little and it seems like he might be coming around. I guess he can try and prove himself and we will see what happens or he may just stick with the ways of his past. Anyhow as a new collector I would suggest buying from or seeking advice from the locals until you get your feet under you.
CftBL

Post by CftBL »

Welcome to the forum! I've never been to the Milwaukee league nights, so I cannot comment on them. But if you are able, try stopping in to some of the Madison drop in league nights. You will be able to meet to a ton of great people and pick their brains in person. Everyone that attends is super friendly and happy to talk about anything pinball related. You can get lots of good input, trouble shooting tips, and there is pinball to play! In Madison the leagues are 1st Thursday at Alt Brew, 2nd Wednesday at Poolie's (tonight actually), and 3rd Saturday at Schwoegler''s (Poolies and Alt Brew are on the East Side). Can someone else chime in about Milwaukee leagues?
Creature from the Black Lagoon, Twilight Zone, Star Wars Premium, Hobbit
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Hey Brandon,

I'm likely going to have a machine or 2 that will fit your budget when I get home at the end of the month. I.E. the 2K to 2.5K range. Im just not home right now to snap pics or any of that.

If your still looking at the end of the month just hit me up.

chris
Radical, Taxi, RollerGames, Dr. Dude, EATPM, Bad Cats, Diner, Police Force, Riverboat Gambler, Swords of Fury, Cyclone, IMDN, Tommy, GNR, MET Prem, KISS Prem, TRS, AC/DC LE, Rob Zombie, Monopoly, No Good Gofers, Who Dunnit, DemoMan, Scared Stiff, Ghostbusters Prem. Not here: Earthshaker, AC/DC, F-14, HMM. Tech bay: Game Show.
bmaster31

Post by bmaster31 »

Awesome! Can I ask which machines were you thinking?
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

bmaster31 wrote:Awesome! Can I ask which machines were you thinking?
Knowing Chris and his collection.... I am going to guess and say Getaway and T2 (finally)...... If it is T2, that one would be a good one to jump on, it is freaking nice.... All of Chris' games are nice though, so no worries there.
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, NBA Fastbreak, Williams Phoenix
chrisnack

Post by chrisnack »

Who's the seller in Rock Island? Company name or Pinsider name?

I see a Stargate for sale in Chicago, want to make sure it's not the troublesome guy. "GAP" Great American Pinball is the seller.

-Chris
Current: Medieval Madness, Sinbad, Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure
Former: Cleopatra, Joker Poker, Count-Down, Stargate, Road Show, Solar Ride, Attack from Mars LE, Star Wars Premium, Jurassic Park