Tool

Pinball Discussion, Location Games, Etc.
lg40

Tool

Post by lg40 »

Name the most used tool when fixing a pinball machine? Mine is a 1/4 inch magnetic nut driver. I'm just doing this for fun to see what answers i get. :D
Johnny Mnemonic, Bride of Pinbot 2.0, The Shadow, Police Force, World Cup Soccer, White Water, Judge Dredd, The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends
Ken

Re: Tool

Post by Ken »

Fluke multimeter.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

The internet.

1/4 klien long handle mag nut driver

Hakko soldering iron
CftBL

Post by CftBL »

Multi head screwdriver
Followed by a 12" bendable magnet with a built in light
Creature from the Black Lagoon, Twilight Zone, Star Wars Premium, Hobbit
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Observation :shock:
u2sean

Post by u2sean »

1. Multihead screwdriver
2. 1/4" magnetic nut driver
3. Internet
4. Flashlight
5. Beer
Tron, Shadow, Shrek, STTNG, TZ, Dimension, TNA, AFMr, Neptune, R&M, Godzilla Prem, King of Diamonds, S&S, Dialed In! LE, Bank Shot, IJ, Scooby CE, ST Prem
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

is #5 a tool?
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

Hilton wrote:is #5 a tool?
Beer is definitely a tool! Many times I've been frustrated when working on a game only to step away and crack open a beer and get the thinkin' juices flowing :D

Besides the choices mentioned I'd also add a clamping work lamp (you need to see what you're doing). And I also don't know what I'd do without a hemostat.-that thing is like a 3rd hand when soldering and can fish dropped parts out of hard to reach places.
Current Collection: Rick and Morty, JPPrem, TWDLE, SW Pro, Stranger Things Pro, Godzilla Pro, Pulp Fiction, GNRLE, Doctor Who, Eight Ball, Harlem, Stars, Shadow.
u2sean

Post by u2sean »

Of COURSE beer is a tool! In the immortal words of the Simpsons: Beer, the cause of...and solution to...all of life's problems.

Sometimes you just need to take a step back, have a few sips and then have that "D'oh" moment when you realize what needs to be fixed! :D
Tron, Shadow, Shrek, STTNG, TZ, Dimension, TNA, AFMr, Neptune, R&M, Godzilla Prem, King of Diamonds, S&S, Dialed In! LE, Bank Shot, IJ, Scooby CE, ST Prem
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

I thought of that exact Homer JAY Simpson quote as soo as you said beer ;)

I will add, 'a rag'. Can never have enough nice white rags.

I set them down in the cab when working, or over other parts when soldering, or to wipe stuff. I got an army shell box full of rags from my father just before he passed away. Knowing him, he likely stole the shell box and rags when he bailed on the army ;) (actually kicked out for being drunk, lol but he always just said it was for flat feet). He always taught me to have lots of rags for any job as it will help to keep you and your work space cleaner. When working on pins I always have a white rag handy because of this. They all smell slightly like gun powder before I wash them so it makes me slightly nervous that I may get one to spark if I don't wash them in advance.
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Mine's a 10" Android tablet.... I swear that thing was made just for pinball...

All my teardown photos, manuals/schematics in PDF format, and pretty much anything else you can swipe your finger with, all while streaming music/videos. Also fits into tight spots on the machine nicely while keeping your hands free.
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Fish Tales, Wheel of Fortune
tullster

Post by tullster »

And I thought this thread was gonna be about the BAND Tool!! Saw 'em once way back when at the Riverside in Milwaukee. Intense and didn't play an encore... They didn't need to play an encore!!

Anyway, I love the Allway combo screwdriver and have a bunch of them. Used to get them at Walmart for under $2.00

http://www.hardwareworld.com/Screwdrive ... Amd98P8HAQ

The Picquic is another qreat combo screwdriver. Bigger & heavier, but gives you the extra torque when you need it.

http://www.amazon.com/Picquic-X-7-Multi ... B0018IV8WM

Use those with a 1/4" socket set with shallow & deep sockets and you've got half the tools you need!

Love the long magnetic nutdrivers and Weller Portasol butane soldering iron too!!
Methos

Post by Methos »

For Christmas 2 years ago, my kids got me a metal flashlight with a high power magnet on the end. I mean high power - this thing picks anything. The time this tool has saved me by now must be in the hours. Finding all the screws/nuts etc that get lost within a pin can get tiresome. This tool finds them all. I love it.