Opto Switch question

Tech Help, Restorations, Refurbishments, "Shop Out" Photos, Notes
CftBL

Opto Switch question

Post by CftBL »

Are the LED's on opto switches extremely heat sensitive?
I found that the opto switch on one of my poppers died. i swapped it for an opto switch on a different row/column of the switch matrix and the circuit works fine, so I know it is indeed the opto. I bought two new sets so I'd have a spare and replaced both the transmitter and receiver. I solder the new ones in, hooked it up and nothing. Scratched my head, and de-soldered and put the second set in. Still the switch is not working properly. Only thing I can figure is that I was set to high on heat and literally burned out the LEDs. has anyone else had this issue?
Creature from the Black Lagoon, Twilight Zone, Star Wars Premium, Hobbit
Ken

Re: Opto Switch question

Post by Ken »

Do you have a meter? If so, you can check to see if the heat wrecked them (doubtful).
TomGWI

Post by TomGWI »

Might have a wire that disconnected down stream from the switch. Use the switch matrix and trace the wires back to the other switches.
CftBL

Post by CftBL »

I didn't even try to use a meter on an IR LED; when I was reading the manufacturer's website, they said a DMM gave erratic results and wanted me to buy some special meter. After Ken mentioned it, I checked it, and found that I had reversed the anode and cathode on the quick disconnect when I re-pinned it. :(
No matter how many times I redid the connection on the transmitter, it wasn't going to work...
That's twice now a stupid mistake like that has cost me lots of wasted time. You figure I'd learn someday
Ken

Post by Ken »

CftBL wrote:I checked it, and found that I had reversed the anode and cathode on the quick disconnect when I re-pinned it. :(
That was the first thing I was going to say but didn't want to sound condescending. And wasn't sure of the setup and if it was possible to reverse. So it's working?
CftBL

Post by CftBL »

You wouldn't have sounded condescending; well unless you started with "hey dumbass..." but I would've laughed at it, checked it, the slapped my forehead with my palm

Yes, it's all functional now; my Creature is playable again.

The problem started when I failed to power down to change a bulb, and accidentally touched the edge of my opto board with a bulb base. I saw a spark, said some choice words, then proceeded to work through a series of switch issues. The opto switch (the start of the problem) was the last thing to get fixed.

Thanks for aiming me in the right way

Cheers!