Playfield cleaning question

Tech Help, Restorations, Refurbishments, "Shop Out" Photos, Notes
ralphwiggum

Re: Playfield cleaning question

Post by ralphwiggum »

cad-kid wrote:
Hilton wrote:Novus 2 and a clean rag plus some good elbow grease is what I use.
I agree 100% 8-) Here are some photos from my 1969 Williams Post Time - this thing was FILTHY! I think the dirt protected the artwork in this case. I only used Novus 2 for cleaning then wax after that.

Very nice work.... I can only imagine the time it took to do that with Novus 2. I think it is far more difficult to achieve what you did here with this EM than any of the newer games. Finding that balance between cleaning and not removing fragile artwork on the older machines is a challenge. It is super easy to burn through old artwork.

As for the scrubbing bubbles the ONLY thing I will not use it on is Aprons from any era. the screening of artwork on those aprons is suspect at best, Novus 1 is the only thing I will hit an apron with.

Also, Scrubbing Bubbles WILL make metal shine as well.
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, NBA Fastbreak, Williams Phoenix
BigDaddyBanjo

Post by BigDaddyBanjo »

Ran wrote:
I had no idea Novus products had carcinogens!
Thanks for the heads up. I've been doing all the restoration work in an unventilated room (do far just 91% isopropyl alcohol and a the pinrestore Crazy Clean).
-Ran
Hey Ran,

The issue with Novus is the Silica in the product. Primarily an issue when buffing (when you should have a mask on anyway for dust, which isn't good for your lungs anyway). Here is some information pulled from an old Pinside Thread.

Novus #2 / MSDS-

http://www.novuspolish.com/pdf/NOVUSPla ... ay2012.pdf

Notation ~

Diatomaceous Earths may contain crystalline silica, which is considered carcinogenic by
inhalation (IARC, NTP, California). However, with hand application respirable dusts are not
created. Use of mechanical polishing may necessitate respiratory PPE to limit exposure.
Home Collection : FT, JD,Paragon, POTO, GB, WCS, TWD, WPT, SMVE, BK, HS, Gorgar and Bank Shot.
Ran

Post by Ran »

⬆️Great info ⬆️

And Tim, I do have an old corded drill. Knowing that the buffer could be messy/too hot I will go the drill route.
Thanks again everyone for chiming in!
-Ran
Current Collection
Hobbit LE | Spider-Man | Mousin’ Around | Counterforce