Talk me into it or out of it...

Pinball Discussion, Location Games, Etc.
noncommittaldave

Re: Talk me into it or out of it...

Post by noncommittaldave »

Sell them all and get a genesis and a heavy metal meltdown. It doesn't get any better than that.

In all honesty, though, I think two pins could be doable if it were a perfect game.
Ran

Post by Ran »

noncommittaldave wrote:Sell them all and get a genesis and a heavy metal meltdown. It doesn't get any better than that.

In all honesty, though, I think two pins could be doable if it were a perfect game.
I too think two games will be a better fit for me this winter.
And I believe Flintstones is officially sold.
A neighbor was over yesterday with his two middle school kids to watch the packers and play some pinball.
I mentioned to him that I was probably gonna sell Flintstones and WW.
He got super excited because his kids love playing flintstones when they come over and he's wanted to get a pin for a while now.
I'm excited because it will stay local and he's giving me my asking price.
So whirlwind is next....
Current Collection
Hobbit LE | Spider-Man | Mousin’ Around | Counterforce
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

congrats!

Post your Wwind for a higher than you think asking price (Yours is very nice and original) and hit all the usual places and I bet it will be sold in no time flat. Nice Wwinds are on the rise in value.

Let us know what you are searching for as #2 so we can help you locate it :) and play it ;)
Ran

Post by Ran »

Hilton wrote:congrats!

Post your Wwind for a higher than you think asking price (Yours is very nice and original) and hit all the usual places and I bet it will be sold in no time flat. Nice Wwinds are on the rise in value.

Let us know what you are searching for as #2 so we can help you locate it :) and play it ;)
Thanks Hilton!

Been looking at some NIB prices for games out there like a Tron Pro or IMVE or Star Trek.
Or HUO games like TFLE, AVLE, SM.
Also pondering an "older" B/W game like TOM, TZ, CV or IJ.

Ideally, I'd love to pick up a "family friendly" game that is going to keep me entertained and challenged for a while.
And one that doesn't need much work.
I LOVE working on these games but at this stage with my boys getting older I want more QT with them and less putting around with restoring a pin.
Current Collection
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

I would definately suggest something newer if you want to have more play time.

I woudl also suggest putting XMLE on the shortlist of new games as it is both family freindly and fun. Also seems to have taken all the big price hit at this point so you dont have to worry as much about lost value while you are playing.

Still one of my favorite newer Stern games.

If you want shorter ball times, maybe Dave M is ready to sell IMVE. I think he has had it for a month already ;)
noncommittaldave

Post by noncommittaldave »

Do you have something against him selling the game to a local for a fair price? :lol:
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

noncommittaldave wrote:

Do you have something against him selling the game to a local for a fair price? :lol:

Randy is too generous with his pricing. If he puts it up at a "higher than you think" price it will STILL likely be a fair price for a local.
Some guys overshot and some guys undershoot. Randy is often lower than fair and hence why his FS did not even make it to market > even his non-pinead neighbor knew it was too good to pass up ;)

I think it is just as important for us to let each other know when we are under pricing as well as over pricing. Gotta help Randy get the funds for his new game. maybe he can trade for an IMVE? know anyone looking to dump an IMVE and get a WW ;) ?
DeaconBlooze

Post by DeaconBlooze »

I'm late to chime in, but I think the other guys have made some good suggestions. The new sterns are great, I love all of mine. I got rid of TSPP mostly because of the potential ball times. One of the most appealing things about this hobby to me was how little time I actually needed to set aside to enjoy it. I love being able to power on a game, enjoy it for 5 minutes, and then go back to life.

The game that gets the most play in my collection is Flash. That's partly because I simply love the game, but mostly because of how quick the games are. I know even a great game of Flash will rarely last more than 5 minutes. The game is also really simple to explain to newer people. That said, most new people still seem to gravitate to games with lots of ramps.

XM does have the potential to play pretty long, and it's pretty complex. Games from the "leaner" stern years may be worth looking into - BBH, IM, Avatar. My collection is always open if anyone is interested! Life is busy right now, but we can try to find some time that works for both of us, just shoot me a PM/email.
Current machines:

Wh20 :: PinBot :: Flash :: Firepower :: BSD :: SW Pro :: Pokerino :: TnA :: Bank Shot :: Stars :: Sky Jump :: Laser Cue
Ran

Post by Ran »

I usually loose a bit of money when I sell games but I chalk it up to "educational expenses."
Each game I've bought I've stripped/cleaned the top and rebuild all the bottom mechs to learn the ins and outs of it. I do unnecessary repairs because I love learning how things are made and how they work. And because I'm a bit anal when it comes to my toys looking and playing perfectly.
Getting a new game is ideal for my current situation so i can refocus my "restoration time" into playing with the kids time.
And I will definitely look for an XMLE since I'm a huge fan of the comics/original cartoon and the movies.

Anyway, as for WW I'm willing to lose $200 from my break even price for all the new parts/cabinet work I did/had done by a local artist to make it as close to perfect as I could.
.....If it goes to someone local.
If I put it on Pinside or craigslist ill price it at my break even number.

I'm not always the best business man. That's my wife's forte.
I got the looks in our relationship ;)
Current Collection
Methos

Post by Methos »

A decent WW will not take long to sell - as Hilton as suggested.

Maybe someone here might be intersted....I am always leary of putting anything on C-List - never know who is going to respond. I use it as a last resort. :o
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

IMHO 2800 is a good ballpark on this particular game. It is probably one of the nicer original WhirlWinds I have seen and plays like a champ. Pretty sure you put lots of new parts into it also?

Core beater is 1k
Restored with CPR up to 3500
Very nice original that has been fully gone over should be over 2500 (friend price) easy and my gut says 3000obo is a fair starting point.

My guess is that some even value a restored original higher than one with a CPR?

Hard to accurately predict fair value on some of these very nice older games.
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Hilton wrote: Very nice original that has been fully gone over should be over 2500 (friend price) easy and my gut says 3000obo is a fair starting point.

Friends don't sell friend Whirlwinds for $2500, LOL.....

If you are friend pricing this one, 2k for a nice original is a great ballpark. When your friend goes to sell, he offers it back to you at 2k, and if you decline, he hits the open market with it at whatever price he chooses.

As far as Sterns go, if you are looking for a nice deep one- TSPP and LOTR move to the top of the list, and for SAM games, WPT, Xmen, and Avengers move up that list pretty quick.

I would stay away from Avatar, Iron Man, BBH, if you are looking for deeper games, as they are all very similar one trick ponies (but one very cool trick)- accomplish everything on one ball...
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Fish Tales, Wheel of Fortune
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

ralphwiggum wrote:
Hilton wrote: Very nice original that has been fully gone over should be over 2500 (friend price) easy and my gut says 3000obo is a fair starting point.

Friends don't sell friend Whirlwinds for $2500, LOL.....

We don't all have the hook ups you do Tim, but I wish we did!!!

Pretty sure at 2k, Randy would be taking a big loss on what he has put into the game. Friends would suggest he put it on the open market to get out what he is in for rather than take a loss.
I have not seen a NICE whirlwind for 2k in a long time.

Even a core beater with a routed pf is 1k at best. Then you add on for ramps, plastics, topper, etc... and you are already near 2k in short order and you still have a beat pf and cab (I think that is lipstick on a pig? and would rather pay a little more for a better example in the long run; esp one which I know has had a quality person meticulously go over it).

JMHO but I would rather a friend sell for more to a stranger than to me at a loss.
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

[quote="Hilton]JMHO but I would rather a friend sell for more to a stranger than to me at a loss.[/quote]

Ahh, I gotcha.... Our friend sales are a little different.... Anytime I am doing a friend sale, I have first right of refusal when that friend goes to sell (at the same price I sold it to them for)..... Sort of like a rental. Some titles go up in value, and some go down (especially more recently as the market is correcting itself).... Same goes for me when it comes time to sell. I always offer it back to the friend I bought it from for the same price before putting it out to the open market.
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Fish Tales, Wheel of Fortune
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

I also always offer back to the friend I purchased from (and often the friend before them that they purchased from ;) ), but in this case I think it would be silly to have Randy under sell a game that he has puts lots of time and money into when his primary motivation appears to buy a nice new (more expensive) new game.

Basically, not every game needs to be sold to a friend if it means more stress for the seller.