The Walking Dead?

Pinball Discussion, Location Games, Etc.
ralphwiggum

Re: The Walking Dead?

Post by ralphwiggum »

Jpop is a flake. He is the epitome of "brilliant artist with vision, horrible producer of finished product". There is probably a good reason not a single manufacturer picked him up when they have had plenty of opportunity. He is an idea/vision guy. I wish him nothing but the best, but this boutique pin stuff he is doing (basically on name/reputation alone) is actually kind of sad. I always joke with the Enders boys that all of these designers couldn't exist in a world outside of pinball because pinball is all they know.

BOSS: "Hey John, we need those TPS reports right now"
JPOP: "Here is a Unicorn I made out of my macaroni salad at lunch"
BOSS: "We give you a lunch break?"
JPOP: "I made a Nymph out of paper clips at my desk after lunch"
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Fish Tales, Wheel of Fortune
tullster

Post by tullster »

Hah!! well put Tim.

The Zombie theme does nothing for me. Loved the original Romero "Night of the Living Dead" movies, and "Sean of the Dead" is pure classic, but I'll pass on the Pinball unless one comes up at the right place/time/amount in a few years. However, hopefully there's some 3-D zombies on the playfield I can get to replace my cutout Rolling Stones guys!

And while I'm at it, I've finally figured out how to use the Pinball Browser and am having a blast with my CD collection and Mustang Pro!! "Ace of Spades" will be about the only original song left when I'm done with it. Having fun putting real song snippets into the generic Stern song spots too. The hardest thing is hitting the beat right on the sound loop. Also monkeyed with my Rolling Stones pro, but currently concentrating on Mustang getting it ready for MRP in a FEW WEEKS!!!
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

that is gonna be AWESOME Tully!
Ran

Post by Ran »

Is it possible that I'm the only guy on any pinball forum that's never seen The Walking Dead?
Current Collection
Hobbit LE | Spider-Man | Mousin’ Around | Counterforce
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Ran wrote:Is it possible that I'm the only guy on any pinball forum that's never seen The Walking Dead?
nope >> you know me Ran >> culturally void of common culture... I have never seen a single episode and don't plan on it.
noncommittaldave

Post by noncommittaldave »

Hilton wrote:
Ran wrote:Is it possible that I'm the only guy on any pinball forum that's never seen The Walking Dead?
nope >> you know me Ran >> culturally void of common culture... I have never seen a single episode and don't plan on it.
Ditto.
u2sean

Post by u2sean »

If you haven't seen TWD show I'd definitely recommend the first season at least. It's really well done, and is far less "drama-esque" than the following seasons. Yeah, I still watch them all but the first season really is a great one. I hope they go for more of a comic book style as well instead of from the TV series but don't see any mainstream appeal for it. I actually see this as a fan theme - people have been asking for a Zombie based theme and they got it. That's how Tron came into being many years ago and look how well that's done! Personally, I have no desire to get TWD even though I enjoy the show. That being said, I really want to play one. Hopefully at Expo!

<soapbox> As far as pinside goes, what a complete wasteland. There are definitely some good things on there but it's basically a non-stop flow of continuous speculative shit. I'm amazed that a thread with "wouldn't it be cool if" titles get hundreds of posts, with absolutely zero REAL content. None. Don't even get me started on the threads with thousands of posts - basically useless after the first few pages, any good comments just gets lost. Oh, and if you start a new thread asking about something that was touched on at some point, some chowderhead will post a link back to post #843 in another thread and accuse you of not doing your research. There's still great tech help out there and some good discussion, but all in all a tremendous amount of garbage. </soapbox> Thanks - I feel better. RGP is starting to look good again. :)
Tron, Shadow, Shrek, STTNG, TZ, Dimension, TNA, AFMr, Neptune, R&M, Godzilla Prem, King of Diamonds, S&S, Dialed In! LE, Bank Shot, IJ, Scooby CE, ST Prem
noncommittaldave

Post by noncommittaldave »

u2sean wrote:If you haven't seen TWD show I'd definitely recommend the first season at least. It's really well done, and is far less "drama-esque" than the following seasons.

<soapbox> As far as pinside goes, what a complete wasteland. )

I must confess, i say 10-15 minutes of an episode where they where separated between the safe house and the fence and it seemed pretty cool. I assume that might be a recurring theme? :lol:

In regards to pinside, that place is a mess. I have been trying to follow the Hobbit and the thread regarding Pat Lawlor's new game and half the posts seem to be people just bitching about JJP in general. Oh well. Time to do something productive, for once. :mrgreen:
tullster

Post by tullster »

I don't see the mainstream appeal of a Walking Dead Pinball either, and it would be tough to put it on location in a family type place. It's tough enough making money on pinball, and a smart operator isn't going to buy a piece of equipment that has limitations on where you can put it. All it takes is one complaint from a church group or something, and it'll have to be removed... And it costs the operator $$$ and a longer return on investment each time they fire up the truck to move something. It'll be interesting to see how many get sold.

I agree on the pinside mess. I'm waiting for an ass-wipe... folded or scrunched? thread. People need to step away from their computers and live life!! Speaking of which... :oops:
DeaconBlooze

Post by DeaconBlooze »

Folded.

That's a good point on the route thing. I also have to imagine other parents will probably think twice before purchasing this one for their home. My wife and I both like the show (I agree with Sean, season 1 is definitely worth watching), but I don't think I want a pinball machine that's going to make it harder to put my daughter to sleep, not to mention the hidden cost of therapy.

The show definitely has a loyal fan base - enough of one that they have a talk show directly following every episode. It'll be interesting to see how many of them will pay for a $6k toy..
Current machines:

Wh20 :: PinBot :: Flash :: Firepower :: BSD :: SW Pro :: Pokerino :: TnA :: Bank Shot :: Stars :: Sky Jump :: Laser Cue
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

I imagine that all the talk show participants don't have the expendable funds that they want since their mom is charging them rent to live in the basement. :twisted: That being said, I can only see this as being a flop for Stern. Even if the game is great, there are only so many people that have 6k for a pin, and if factor in the fact that they have children, I imagine that number gets cut in half.

I have seen the show twice, and both times I waited for Woody Harellson to show up to make it fun and entertaining (Zombieland is a fantastic movie). I would love to see some fun out takes of the walkers doing mundane things.... Something entertaining about watching a zombie getting jelly from a doughnut on his shirt, or picking up dog poop at the park.
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Fish Tales, Wheel of Fortune
Ken

Post by Ken »

Agree that season 1 (6 episodes) was different than the other seasons. And better.

Thanks for the laugh Tim. Dog poop...hehe.

Tully, PM'd you about a new location. Need to get some machines in there when construction is complete. :D
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

ralphwiggum wrote:

I was crying over this one. Jesus. Even with the lack of sleep your still on top of your game.

:D

chris
Radical, Taxi, RollerGames, Dr. Dude, EATPM, Bad Cats, Diner, Police Force, Riverboat Gambler, Swords of Fury, Cyclone, IMDN, Tommy, GNR, MET Prem, KISS Prem, TRS, AC/DC LE, Rob Zombie, Monopoly, No Good Gofers, Who Dunnit, DemoMan, Scared Stiff, Ghostbusters Prem. Not here: Earthshaker, AC/DC, F-14, HMM. Tech bay: Game Show.
epthegeek

Post by epthegeek »

ralphwiggum wrote:Jpop is a flake. He is the epitome of "brilliant artist with vision, horrible producer of finished product". There is probably a good reason not a single manufacturer picked him up when they have had plenty of opportunity. He is an idea/vision guy. I wish him nothing but the best, but this boutique pin stuff he is doing (basically on name/reputation alone) is actually kind of sad. I always joke with the Enders boys that all of these designers couldn't exist in a world outside of pinball because pinball is all they know.

There's accurate, and then there's military grade "Put a bullet in the pupil of a bad guy from 300 yards" accurate. Damn.
Current pile of ridiculously expensive "beep-boop-bing" boxes: Cactus Canyon, Theatre of Magic, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Metallica (Pro), Iron Man, Spider-Man, Scared Stiff, Iron Maiden, Rick & Morty
DeaconBlooze

Post by DeaconBlooze »

I guess this is an update - they announced it was photo day, today.
Attachments
284581-i.jpg
Current machines:

Wh20 :: PinBot :: Flash :: Firepower :: BSD :: SW Pro :: Pokerino :: TnA :: Bank Shot :: Stars :: Sky Jump :: Laser Cue