Plasma effect Williams DMD - weird transformer jumper wiring

Tech Help, Restorations, Refurbishments, "Shop Out" Photos, Notes
DeaconBlooze

Plasma effect Williams DMD - weird transformer jumper wiring

Post by DeaconBlooze »

So my Wh20 has a garbled and cloudy DMD. The voltages were a little high at the DMD, so I checked the input voltage to the DMD driver board at J605. I got 98.5vac and 124vac there, so a decent amount higher than the intended 80 and 120vac.

Per pinwiki, I checked the jumpers at the transformer.

Here's what it should look like:
648px-WPCPowerSelectButterfly.jpg
And here's what mine looks like:
93ff3329-af55-41b1-957d-fa56ec518fbf.jpg
So based on that the only wire out of place is the white wire. What's throwing me off is that doesn't seem to be a position that would have been used in the euro market either... so how did it get there?

Anyway, I'm planning to move the white from position 4 to 7. I'm curious if that would actually solve my DMD woes, and would leave me confused as to why the game had operated pretty reliably for years prior to this.
Current machines:

Wh20 :: PinBot :: Flash :: Firepower :: BSD :: SW Pro :: Pokerino :: TnA :: Bank Shot :: Stars :: Sky Jump :: Laser Cue
ralphwiggum

Re: Plasma effect Williams DMD - weird transformer jumper wiring

Post by ralphwiggum »

Have you tried another DMD in there? I suspect one of two things... High voltage section of DMD driver starting to go out of spec, or your DMD itself is starting to go south.

Also, an easy first step- try swapping your ribbon cable going from driver to DMD.
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, NBA Fastbreak, Williams Phoenix
DeaconBlooze

Post by DeaconBlooze »

Yeah, same issue with another DMD and another ribbon cable.

The input to the DMD board (a replacement rottendog) is higher than it's supposed to be, but I'm not sure how much higher would cause this sort of an issue.

I found a link that suggests some markets were wired for 220v instead of the 230v seen most often in Europe.

https://www.pinballinfo.com/community/t ... aly.42114/

I'm guess when this came back over the other jumpers were corrected as expected for most European regions, and that white cable got missed since it would be rare to see it in that position (though maybe not incorrect).

Either way, it seems like the best path here is to repin that as appropriate and then see what I'm left with.
Current machines:

Wh20 :: PinBot :: Flash :: Firepower :: BSD :: SW Pro :: Pokerino :: TnA :: Bank Shot :: Stars :: Sky Jump :: Laser Cue
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

My money is on the rottendog. Setting that jumper back over is a good move, but if the machine worked this long without issue, I can't imagine it being anything other than the Rottendog.

My whitewater had a similar issue, except it screenshifted the whole display left by two inches, and then did weird ghosting.

I ended up rebuilding the hv section and that took care of it.l
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, NBA Fastbreak, Williams Phoenix