The Mothership is landing

Pinball Discussion, Location Games, Etc.
Chris K

Re: The Mothership is landing

Post by Chris K »

The Pro art would have been good if they could have worked in the rotating wheel into the backglass. It’s probably a bit beyond Stern’s BoM to swipe an old Black Hole motor to make that happen, though, even in an LE.

The Premium is iconic, and I’m not bothered by it. I never did like the angel thing, and the LE overall looks a bit like someone threw some stuff from a Google Image search onto a gradient background.

Still, the art is leagues beyond the topper! Have you guys seen that? Eeeeeesh. I bet they charge $500 for it!

Love the band, love the idea of a Zeppelin pin, but I’m not sold on the game itself. I’ll have to play it in person before I could call myself interested.

Now a GnR? We’re patiently waiting for that one! :)
Our pinball table breeding stock:
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Scared Stiff, Black Hole, Roy Clark, Monster Bash Remake, Future Spa, Big Deal, Top Score, Baywatch, Rick and Morty, TMNT, Sinbad, Guns N Roses
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Chris K wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:40 pm Now a GnR? We’re patiently waiting for that one! :)
I see what you did there.... well played sir....
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, NBA Fastbreak, Williams Phoenix
Eric_S

Post by Eric_S »

I agree that Led Zepplin seems a bit underwhelming. The cabinet on the Pro version looks like Bugs Bunny Birthday Bash - https://www.ipdb.org/images/396/image-2.jpg.

The layout seems pretty "meh" too. I know it is blasphemy, but is Steve Ritchie washed up? Personally, Stern Star Trek was the last of his pins that I really liked (and that was pretty similar in layout to ST:tNG). There are more than enough new designers coming in that it may be time for Steve to hang it up.
PinJohn

Post by PinJohn »

ralphwiggum wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:32 am
PinJohn wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:53 am Cabinet art on all 3 models is a bummer to me.
It's really- not so attractive. I don't mind the LE artwork as much as the other two, but putting Stevie Wonder in charge of powdercoating on the LE wasn't the best idea.

I dunno what it is about White Cabinets, but overall, they rarely look decent, no matter the title.
That's hitting the nail on the head. A white base or background on a cabinet doesn't read well - unless it's an old EM with very large stenciling.

The artwork on the cabinets is very unappealing and the playfield art is not so hot either. They were probably limited by license parameters, but damn. Even just changing the background color on the Pro and Premium from white to something else would have been better - maybe black and reverse print the art to a light color.
The album cover art on the pro has actually been done before in reverse with a black background and is way better. I think that would have been Ok on the Pro.
Attachments
on black.jpg
TomGWI

Post by TomGWI »

I give it 6-12 months and you’ll own one.
Eric_S wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:08 pm I agree that Led Zepplin seems a bit underwhelming. The cabinet on the Pro version looks like Bugs Bunny Birthday Bash - https://www.ipdb.org/images/396/image-2.jpg.

The layout seems pretty "meh" too. I know it is blasphemy, but is Steve Ritchie washed up? Personally, Stern Star Trek was the last of his pins that I really liked (and that was pretty similar in layout to ST:tNG). There are more than enough new designers coming in that it may be time for Steve to hang it up.
Eric_S

Post by Eric_S »

TomGWI wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:05 am I give it 6-12 months and you’ll own one.
Eric_S wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:08 pm I agree that Led Zepplin seems a bit underwhelming. The cabinet on the Pro version looks like Bugs Bunny Birthday Bash - https://www.ipdb.org/images/396/image-2.jpg.

Led Zeppelin or Bugs Bunny?
TomGWI

Post by TomGWI »

If you buy Bugs Bunny I will drive you to the Mental Hospital myself.
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

As my buddy Parnell said. With the current pricing model why not just save up a few hundred extra dollars and buy a GnR unless Zep is really a dream theme for you.

I mean GnR and Motley Crue are dream themes for me but at the current prices I don't know that I would own them anytime soon. Just to much money and to many other good pins out there to play and own.

After all its all pinball to me........Maybe that is why I was always in the middle of the pack at league.

:lol:
Radical, Taxi, RollerGames, Dr. Dude, EATPM, Bad Cats, Diner, Police Force, Riverboat Gambler, Swords of Fury, Cyclone, IMDN, Tommy, GNR, MET Prem, KISS Prem, TRS, AC/DC LE, Rob Zombie, Monopoly, No Good Gofers, Who Dunnit, DemoMan, Scared Stiff, Ghostbusters Prem. Not here: Earthshaker, AC/DC, F-14, HMM. Tech bay: Game Show.
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

I was intrigued by the built in EQ for the audio. That is something that is a long time coming. Knowing Nobling he would just turn the High and Mids all to zero and run the low end to the roof so he can sit on the machine and get his "rocks" off. :o :shock:
Radical, Taxi, RollerGames, Dr. Dude, EATPM, Bad Cats, Diner, Police Force, Riverboat Gambler, Swords of Fury, Cyclone, IMDN, Tommy, GNR, MET Prem, KISS Prem, TRS, AC/DC LE, Rob Zombie, Monopoly, No Good Gofers, Who Dunnit, DemoMan, Scared Stiff, Ghostbusters Prem. Not here: Earthshaker, AC/DC, F-14, HMM. Tech bay: Game Show.
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

ChrisS wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:38 pm I was intrigued by the built in EQ for the audio. That is something that is a long time coming. Knowing Nobling he would just turn the High and Mids all to zero and run the low end to the roof so he can sit on the machine and get his "rocks" off. :o :shock:
Hmmm... sounds like I need to look at a Zeppelin...
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, NBA Fastbreak, Williams Phoenix
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

I mean this is basically what you did anytime you were at my house. All my machines would be cranked up by the end of the night....guess I should have left real locks on the games. :lol: