Stern TMNT

Pinball Discussion, Location Games, Etc.
NoahK

Stern TMNT

Post by NoahK »

Who else is excited for this game? I wasn't too excited when it was rumored as the next game, but after seeing the artwork and the final product in action it brought back memories about how big of a Turtles fan I was as a kid. Shots seem to flow pretty well from watching the Deadflip stream. I also really like the music; kinda reminds me of Mega Man X and other 16-bit era games. Co-op is also a plus.

I am hoping to pick up my 6th game this fall so I can hopefully host league next year and I thought a newer Stern would be a good fit to round out my collection. I think this machine is on my shortlist since the theme has wife approval and looks to be a good family friendly game. Obviously gonna want to put some time in on one before making a decision, so hopefully some will be on location around town. Also hoping the hype will have died down and I can sniff out a deal.
The Hobbit, Alien Poker, DE Star Wars, Heavy Metal Meltdown, Total Nuclear Annihilation, Rick and Morty
MikeS

Re: Stern TMNT

Post by MikeS »

I'm excited to play one and think the game looks great! I think the artwork really captures the classic turtles of my youth and the theme is something that my kids are into now. The layout looks fun and fast and Dwight seems to have a good handle on the rules. I'd consider picking up a Pro in 6 months or so if the game still has my attention by then. I do have a feeling I'm going to be blown away by JJP's GNR which is keeping my money in my pocket for now. I think Eric is going to knock that one out of the park! I doubt I'll buy any other NIB in 2020 but I think there are going to be some hard choices to make come 2021.
Current Collection: Rick and Morty, JPPrem, TWDLE, SW Pro, Foo Fighters Pro, Godzilla Pro, GNRLE, Alien Star, Space Invaders, Harlem, Stars, Shadow.
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

After seeing leaks and the reveal trailer I was like warm to meh. After watching the LE stream, I was pumped.

Premium seems like a sweet game but I think if you can get over the few little mechs the pro will be worth it.

Talking to my bar, looks like he wants to sell Munsters to fund the tmnt pro
Pinballs - MMr, MBr, TNA, CCr, Multimorphic P3, Metpro, Playball, Sopranos
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

This is where I must be officially old and enter my general state of confusion.... are the Turtles still popular? I know there have been a few reboots throughout the years, but does this theme still carry appeal for younger generations? I have three boys under 12 and not a single one of them has ever had any interest in TMNT. When I was a kid they were popular, but I never really got into them either.

Just a little perplexed why this title even came about, as Stern usually creates pins based on popular licenses.
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, NBA Fastbreak, Williams Phoenix
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

My oldest is still into them and I know some of the other kids his age are as well. We've also revisited all of the old NES and SNES games on the NES classic. I played a ton of the TMNT Arcade game back in the day. Personally I'm not passionate about the theme but I like it enough.
Attachments
20200527_205155.jpg
Screenshot_20200527-220441_Photos.jpg
Current Collection: Rick and Morty, JPPrem, TWDLE, SW Pro, Foo Fighters Pro, Godzilla Pro, GNRLE, Alien Star, Space Invaders, Harlem, Stars, Shadow.
QuyN

Post by QuyN »

My youngest is 4 and he was freaking out when he saw Stern's TMNT. He knows enough about them that it will certainly appeal to younger kids. I grew up watching the show in the late 80s/early 90s. It definitely pulls on the nostalgia strings, but beyond that, it's a "wait and see" title for me. I'll be excited to play machines on location, but haven't had to pull to buy it new...yet. I want to see how code develops first. Shots and layout look like it'll shoot well, and ZY turns whatever he touches to gold. Tonight's stream will better show off the game, I think.
NoahK

Post by NoahK »

My kids are 1 and have yet to show interest in TMNT, though they do like their walking turtle toy. They seem to mainly like pinball machines that have a cup holder so they can pull themselves up to press the buttons and play with the coin return. Anyway, I am leaning more toward the Pro myself. Seems like the only real functional differences between the Pro and Premium/LE are the diverter and two extra balls. Excited to watch the stream tonight and see how the Pro shoots.
The Hobbit, Alien Poker, DE Star Wars, Heavy Metal Meltdown, Total Nuclear Annihilation, Rick and Morty
PinJohn

Post by PinJohn »

Watched the Pro Stream and some of the stream the other day. Looks like it will be a good playing game and fun shooter. Turtles is not my era but it's recognizable and I think it will do well for folks who put games on location .... post covid whenever that might be. I think Stern will sell a bunch of these, though sales will be spread out over time due to virus, economics etc.

Looks like it will be a good game. If I hadn't spent some money recently on some other things, I'd probably pop for this game even though the theme while it is decent, theme doesn't hit extra high personally to me as I'm in an older demographic than the Turtles era. Still it is alright though and I guess I'd get used to the Turtles real quick.

I like this one a lot better than the recent Stranger Things - I just couldn't get past seeing the giant plant vagina in the playfield and doubt I'll ever flip that game. It's just too scary and the main toy in that one is a huge turn off. I know next to nothing about that show so theme has no appeal to me either. Turtles to me is actually more relevant and it's not even prime to my era. I at least know what it is. It's light hearted and fun and recognizable.

I'll think about getting a Turtles. I think it would be good fun. As I said, if I hadn't spent some cash recently I probably would have put in an order already. Looks to be a solid good game.
Last edited by PinJohn on Sat May 30, 2020 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

I have very little enthusiasm for ANY pin right now cause my basement is currently overfilled, and I have one more arriving soon. So I gotta clear out like four pins before I buy another one.

If I weren’t in that particular situation, I’d allow myself to watch the streams and get all hyped up. Love the Turtles... I loved the cartoon, loved the comics, even played the RPG. Great theme for me and the family, the art looks sufficiently throwback to keep my interest (looking at you Transformers) and it looks like it would be a fun game to play.

Is TMNT still popular with kids? I think the better question is, what’s hyper-popular with kids? My kids would only freak out if shown a Pokémon pinball at this point. Some older kids.... I dunno, Fortnite? TMNT isn’t so much unpopular as it is well-liked, but not in the zeitgeist at the moment. My kids would say “oh cool, Turtles!” if we bought this, and when they played pinball they’d either play Star Wars or this. And they’d continue to ignore Scared Stiff and TNG.
Our pinball table breeding stock:
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Scared Stiff, Black Hole, Roy Clark, Monster Bash Remake, Future Spa, Big Deal, Top Score, Baywatch, Rick and Morty, TMNT, Sinbad, Guns N Roses
Eric_S

Post by Eric_S »

I'm thinking that this may be Stern's attempt to get pinball back into kiddie arcades and Chuck E Cheese type places. This is the first kid-friendly title they have come out with in a long time. I'm sure they're banking on the nostalgia factor too as TMNT was hot 30+ years ago. I remember the local Chuck E Cheese had the TMNT arcade game and it was four-player games constantly for months.