Dying NVRAM? - Resolved

Tech Help, Restorations, Refurbishments, "Shop Out" Photos, Notes
NoahK

Dying NVRAM? - Resolved

Post by NoahK »

I had an issue with Alien Poker recently where when I turned it on the GI lit up but the game did not boot into attract mode. It did this occasionally in the past, but not since I replaced the 40-pin interconnect. As I was checking the connections I noticed '1501 06' on one of the displays. Looking online that error code means dead battery. This machine has an NVRAM installed so not sure how that should happen. Someone suggested turning it off and on again to see if it is indeed a dead battery, so I tried that and it booted and apparently did a factory reset. The machine booted just fine the few times I had tried since then, so does this mean that my NVRAM might be dying? When this problem first happened, it had not been powered on for several months but was plugged in. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.
Last edited by NoahK on Thu May 28, 2020 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Hobbit, Alien Poker, DE Star Wars, Heavy Metal Meltdown, Total Nuclear Annihilation, Rick and Morty
JohnH

Re: Dying NVRAM?

Post by JohnH »

I think that code can also mean jumbled data in the NVRAM. Maybe try re-entering your settings?
Players: Blast Off, Space Mission, Skateball, Whirlwind, Viking
Projects: Joker Poker
Eric_S

Post by Eric_S »

It sounds like your Alien Poker booted into Audit mode, which can be a result of many things but the most common is due to dead batteries. Since you have an NVRAM, dead batteries aren't an issue. The older Williams boardset really doesn't do any diagnostic boot-up, it just goes right into running the game. I've found that turning them on every few weeks helps keep them happy. Since your game is working fine, I think the NVRAM is probably fine too, probably just a fluke or maybe some surface corrosion that started somewhere. I wouldn't be too concerned unless it becomes more prevalent.
NoahK

Post by NoahK »

The machine has booted fine ever since I got it working, so yeah probably a fluke. Thanks for the info.
The Hobbit, Alien Poker, DE Star Wars, Heavy Metal Meltdown, Total Nuclear Annihilation, Rick and Morty