Board Games

Pinball Discussion, Location Games, Etc.
DeaconBlooze

Board Games

Post by DeaconBlooze »

I've recently gotten into board games just a little. I've had some pretty epic campaigns in Risk and GOT over the years, but Catan was new to me as off last year, as were Ticket to Ride and Pandemic. Those sort of woke me up to how many different great games there are out there.

Anyone able to offer some other suggestions? I'm looking for some solo games, or games that won't scare away my wife.

Also, we're also taking a trip at the end of the month, and I'd love to be able to pack away a small game in the luggage with some replay value. I've been eyeing up Tiny Epic Galaxies pretty hard..

Favorite youtube channels or some clean sites with decent reviews (I find boardgamegeeks too cumbersome) would also be appreciated.
Current machines:

Wh20 :: PinBot :: Flash :: Firepower :: BSD :: SW Pro :: Pokerino :: TnA :: Bank Shot :: Stars :: Sky Jump :: Laser Cue
MikeS

Re: Board Games

Post by MikeS »

If you have 5-7 players Bang! Is a lot of fun. I've only played the card version but they also make a dice game that's supposed to be easier for new players to pick up.

https://existentialreviews.com/bang-is- ... card-game/
Current Collection: Rick and Morty, JPPrem, TWDLE, SW Pro, Foo Fighters Pro, Godzilla Pro, GNRLE, Alien Star, Space Invaders, Harlem, Stars, Shadow.
epthegeek

Post by epthegeek »

Not super tiny - but a reasonably small box and a great game: Splendor (2-4)

https://www.spacecowboys.fr/splendor-english

Dice tower review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF-I44_EF7g

On the youtube angle - Dice Tower is good stuff. It's a network/group - they put out lots of content.

Also I'd recommend "watch it played" (canadian game store owner who does great instructions videos)

And, on the entertainment/check out games end - look up Wil Wheaton's TableTop series.

There's tons of great modern games that kick the crap out of the stuff we played as kids.
Current pile of ridiculously expensive "beep-boop-bing" boxes: Cactus Canyon, Theatre of Magic, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Metallica (Pro), Iron Man, Spider-Man, Scared Stiff, Iron Maiden, Rick & Morty
u2sean

Post by u2sean »

Some of my favorites that I can get the wife and kid to play:

Lost Cities (great 2 player card game, pretty quick)
Coloretto (simple, fun card game for up to 5 players with unique strategy)
Kingdom Builder (fun, relatively simple to learn)
Elfenland (theme alone was a win for even the non-gamers, and it's super fun)
Ingenious (simpler tile laying game, easy and pretty quick for the entire family)
Through The Desert (pastel camels! enough said)
Forbidden Island (cooperative family game)

- Sean
Tron, Shadow, Shrek, STTNG, TZ, Dimension, TNA, AFMr, Neptune, R&M, Godzilla Prem, King of Diamonds, S&S, Dialed In! LE, Bank Shot, IJ, Scooby CE, ST Prem
QuyN

Post by QuyN »

My wife and I have been playing for a few years. Some of our favorites are:

Betrayal at House on the Hill
Tokaido
Takenoko
Machi Koro
Smallworld
Dead of Winter
Legendary: Marvel
Dixit

and recently, Dice Forge and Stuffed Fables. All worth checking out. We frequent I'm Bored in Sun Prairie and use their game library to check out new (to us) games. We play there with our kids, but also try to get taste of games for older audiences as well. If anyone here is interested in a monthly or bi-weekly game night, let me know!
DeaconBlooze

Post by DeaconBlooze »

Good stuff - thanks for the advice. I'll definitely check out that board game store - I didn't realize they had rentals.
Current machines:

Wh20 :: PinBot :: Flash :: Firepower :: BSD :: SW Pro :: Pokerino :: TnA :: Bank Shot :: Stars :: Sky Jump :: Laser Cue
DeaconBlooze

Post by DeaconBlooze »

I've been going a little crazy lately learning about all of the stuff that's out there. It's fun, and reminds me of when I first started to discover all of the different pinball machines and their rules.

I added Lost Cities to the collection, and gave that a few plays. That one turned out to be a really good one for us. I also bought Forbidden Island, and plan to bring that one on the trip, too.

We also went a little nuts on Prime Day, adding quite a few other games... Splendor, 7 Wonders Duel, Photosynthesis, Dixit, Sushi Go, Patchwork, Carcassonne... The plan is to stockpile most of those for future gifts, but I imagine we'll bust into at least a couple before that.

Pretty great hobby so far. I used to play SWCCG and dabbled in Magic quite a while ago. Those were pretty darn expensive, and I'm glad to see there's alternative games that take the things I like about those games (deck building, strategy) and eliminate the things I hate (boosters upon boosters).
Current machines:

Hilton

Post by Hilton »

we really like photosynthesis.

fun game that changes quite a bit with 2, 3, or 4 players in strat and meta.