Nintendo Switch.... Club?

Pinball Discussion, Location Games, Etc.
ralphwiggum

Re: Nintendo Switch.... Club?

Post by ralphwiggum »

Chris K wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:25 am I'm definitely going to have to try out Tetris soon, it sounds cool!

Does anybody else have a Pro controller? Controllers are a real individual thing, but it's a great one. The d-pad is the best of any current console, the grips are pretty comfortable, and the analog sticks are of a good height and travel. I wish Nintendo had some analog capability on their triggers, but otherwise I'd say this is as close to the perfect controller as I've used. I highly recommend it if you play docked!
I use these "Pro Style" Controllers-
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BJ ... decom05-20

For $50 for the pair, I figure it was worth rolling the dice. I am really glad I did, they feel great, and I much prefer them over any of Nintendos other offerings.
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, NBA Fastbreak, Williams Phoenix
QuyN

Post by QuyN »

ralphwiggum wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:24 pm
Chris K wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:25 am I'm definitely going to have to try out Tetris soon, it sounds cool!

Does anybody else have a Pro controller? Controllers are a real individual thing, but it's a great one. The d-pad is the best of any current console, the grips are pretty comfortable, and the analog sticks are of a good height and travel. I wish Nintendo had some analog capability on their triggers, but otherwise I'd say this is as close to the perfect controller as I've used. I highly recommend it if you play docked!
I use these "Pro Style" Controllers-
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BJ ... decom05-20

For $50 for the pair, I figure it was worth rolling the dice. I am really glad I did, they feel great, and I much prefer them over any of Nintendos other offerings.
Did the official controllers drop in price? I swear they were $65-70 for one at some point. I know the joycons run at $70 for a set. I ended up getting the Mario Party/joycon bundle at Wally World for $100. Those seem like a good alternative for the Pro controller, though I'm tempted to get one since I'm the only one that plays "seriously" at my house.
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

No, they're still stupid-expensive. $70 retail, I think. I got mine for $40-something around Black Friday. I'm seeing them regularly around $55 on SlickDeals the past month. In fact, they're $57 at Target right now. So I think it's safe to say retail has unofficially dropped, at least.

Little controllers tend to give me cramp and tendonitis issues, so even ignoring the nice comfy feel of the Pro controller and the great gamepad, they're basically required for me for anything more than one hour of gameplay.

Oh, that reminds me: I also have this "grip" for the Switch itself. I use this when I'm playing away from the TV sometimes, and it makes button-heavy games (like SF2) more comfortable to play:

https://www.target.com/p/nintendo-switc ... A-53763526

If you get sore hands playing portable, you might give this a shot. There's a lot of similar models, this is the one I like cause it's easy on/off.
Our pinball table breeding stock:
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Scared Stiff, Black Hole, Roy Clark, Monster Bash Remake, Future Spa, Big Deal, Top Score, Baywatch, Rick and Morty, TMNT, Sinbad, Guns N Roses
QuyN

Post by QuyN »

Chris K wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:24 pm No, they're still stupid-expensive. $70 retail, I think. I got mine for $40-something around Black Friday. I'm seeing them regularly around $55 on SlickDeals the past month. In fact, they're $57 at Target right now. So I think it's safe to say retail has unofficially dropped, at least.

Little controllers tend to give me cramp and tendonitis issues, so even ignoring the nice comfy feel of the Pro controller and the great gamepad, they're basically required for me for anything more than one hour of gameplay.

Oh, that reminds me: I also have this "grip" for the Switch itself. I use this when I'm playing away from the TV sometimes, and it makes button-heavy games (like SF2) more comfortable to play:

https://www.target.com/p/nintendo-switc ... A-53763526

If you get sore hands playing portable, you might give this a shot. There's a lot of similar models, this is the one I like cause it's easy on/off.
I thought they were $70 at one point,t hen I went to check Amazon and saw it at $56 there. Thought I was losing it for a bit. I might have to pick one up. At $56, that's more or a reasonable price, but then again, I haven't had any issues playing with the joycons in the included grip either. I also don't have any issues playing it portable (medium sized hands) but having those extra "grip" handles would be more comfortable.

I've been spending a lot of time on God Of War (PS4 play New Game+ ) and need to get back to my Switch backlog. Wonderboy, Mario + Rabbids, Plauge Road, Hollow Knight, just too many games to keep up with!
DeaconBlooze

Post by DeaconBlooze »

I have a Pro Controller. It's listed for 55 at Amazon, and has been for a while. I was using the joycons in the grip, and that wasn't all that bad, but I'm really glad I finally upgraded. I looked at alts to the Pro, but most of them seem to be lacking some feature. I can't recall what one I was looking at, but it was missing rumble. Would I really miss rumble? no idea. But I think every game system I've owned since the PS2 has had it... so I was just a little afraid the controller wouldn't feel quite right, and I only wanted to make that purchase once.

I've been looking into getting something like the GoPlay you linked, Chris. My hands also get sore, especially the right one, trying to make goofy mitts fit to the child-sized controllers.

I hate using a single joycon for anything. I don't think there's a way to use more than one joycon for Mario Party, which I find pretty frustrating. I've seen some 'holders' for a single joycon, but I really don't want to have another piece of plastic in my house with such a limited use.
Current machines:

Wh20 :: PinBot :: Flash :: Firepower :: BSD :: SW Pro :: Pokerino :: TnA :: Bank Shot :: Stars :: Sky Jump :: Laser Cue
DeaconBlooze

Post by DeaconBlooze »

Deal running on the switch right now, normal price (300) but with a 35 credit to the estore.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/02/ ... dit/?amp=1
Current machines:

Wh20 :: PinBot :: Flash :: Firepower :: BSD :: SW Pro :: Pokerino :: TnA :: Bank Shot :: Stars :: Sky Jump :: Laser Cue
ChateenK

Post by ChateenK »

I have played Oxenfree, which was an interesting supernatural mystery adventure type of game. It didn't involve any complicated strategy, but it had a compelling storyline. It wasn't just point-and-click, but had a few game aspects that made it very immersive. It incorporated vibration and eerie sounds very well. Chris got it for me, and I think it was $5?

I play the aforementioned Just Dance with the kids and also alone. It makes for a great cardio workout!

I played Moonlighter a lot, and that is a very addictive game.

I'm currently playing Kentucky Route Zero on Steam/PC, which is super weird mystery adventure game. You can also get it for the Switch, but I haven't tried it on there.
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

ChateenK wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:41 pm I play the aforementioned Just Dance with the kids and also alone. It makes for a great cardio workout!
"Chateen, I told the guys that I was not playing all of those hours of Just Dance, but they didn't believe me.... Can you post on the forum that it was you and the kids...."

I swear I have heard this come from Chris before....
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, NBA Fastbreak, Williams Phoenix
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

I only do Billy Squier’s The Stroke. It’s more of a solo dance. :shock:
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Scared Stiff, Black Hole, Roy Clark, Monster Bash Remake, Future Spa, Big Deal, Top Score, Baywatch, Rick and Morty, TMNT, Sinbad, Guns N Roses
Allmyfriends77

Post by Allmyfriends77 »

Love the Switch. I’ve been playing Mario Odyssey for about 3 weeks now. I like exploring and finding stuff. I bought Zelda, Mario Odyssey and Mario Bros U Deluxe. Mario Kart came with the bundle.

Haven’t even opened Zelda or Mario Bros U Deluxe yet! Mario Odyssey is mind blowing to me. The shit they come up with and have you doing is frickin amazing. One of the best I’ve ever played. Too many late weeknights (which is not good) but it’s so addictive that I lose track of time.

I bought these three things:

1. GameCube Adapter, GameCube Controller Adapter Switch with Turbo and Home Buttons, Wii U GameCube Controller Adapter Switch for Switch/Wii U & PC with 4 Slots, Switch GameCube Controller Adapter withou https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L3Y74PT/re ... CCbVARCCZC

My GameCube controllers work AMAZINGLY with Mario Kart for the Switch.

2. ESYWEN Controller for Switch,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JWHVHLQ?re ... b_ap_share

I liked the weight on this controller cause it feels solid versus what I was reading for some of the other controllers listed.

3. Mumba Case for Nintendo Switch,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077FFBTVJ?re ... b_ap_share

This case is great. Makes it much bigger and easier to hold onto.
ChateenK

Post by ChateenK »

QuyN wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:58 am
Chris K wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:34 am I've been meaning to try it out, but haven't gotten much time yet. Seems like fun, if the matchmaking puts you with similarly-skilled players, so you have a chance of winning.

I remember Tetris back on the original Game Boy. Multiplayer Tetris is a lot of fun!
I'm not really sure how the matchmaking works. You get XP for each match you play, in which you gain "levels," but I was beating others of a higher level on the first few games I played. I'm not sure how levels are indicative of skill, as opposed to time spent? In any case, it's pretty fun. The clicky D-Pad on the joy-con (in the grip) works really well. Playing with the analog stick would be a nightmare.
I am completely obsessed with this game. It's fun and fast-paced!
Muskie82

Post by Muskie82 »

Anyone take advantage of the Amazon prime switch games? I heard prime members get a benefit now to download free switch games. Just wondering if it was worth the time or anyone had done it.
Pinbot - GOTG - TMNT - Take Five - Star Action
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

You mean Switch Online for free? It’s a free year for an individual. Doesn’t work for family plan members.

But the Switch Online thing is pretty cool if you like some of the specific NES games they have on there. I already played a few of them through. I gotta do Metroid and Kid Icarus again, but I’m working through Lolo right now. They release them faster than I can play them. :)
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

I beat Zelda Links awakening earlier this month, then got Ghostbusters to play on my work trip. Didn't end up playing it :/ However LM3 drops halloween and that is a MUST BUY. PRetty pumped for that :)
Pinballs - MMr, MBr, TNA, CCr, Multimorphic P3, Metpro, Playball, Sopranos
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

DC8EA513-5C17-4502-BE6D-9E6F95C4AAF7.gif
Radical, Taxi, RollerGames, Dr. Dude, EATPM, Bad Cats, Diner, Police Force, Riverboat Gambler, Swords of Fury, Cyclone, IMDN, Tommy, GNR, MET Prem, KISS Prem, TRS, AC/DC LE, Rob Zombie, Monopoly, No Good Gofers, Who Dunnit, DemoMan, Scared Stiff, Ghostbusters Prem. Not here: Earthshaker, AC/DC, F-14, HMM. Tech bay: Game Show.