Nintendo Switch.... Club?

Pinball Discussion, Location Games, Etc.
DeaconBlooze

Nintendo Switch.... Club?

Post by DeaconBlooze »

I've been playing a lot of the Switch. The versatility of the system is great for me. Most recently I played Halycon 6 ad nauseam. The management necessary eventually just stressed me out.. I don't know if it was worth $20, but I'd recommend it at $10.

I just grabbed Diablo, which is on sale right now for $40. I missed the last sale. I've never played a Diablo game, so I'm excited to give it a try.

I wish there were more sports games available. I would probably buy a Madden game if it were available, and I'd definitely grab a proper golf game (the recent EA iteration for other systems has been severely stripped down, though).
Current machines:

Wh20 :: PinBot :: Flash :: Firepower :: BSD :: SW Pro :: Pokerino :: TnA :: Bank Shot :: Stars :: Sky Jump :: Laser Cue
Muskie82

Re: Nintendo Switch.... Club?

Post by Muskie82 »

I recently just got a switch. "Well my son did". I have been playing a ton of Zelda. Pretty cool game. It is really deep and alot to do. Haven't ventured into any other games yet. Diablo is fun. It's a classic hack and slash. Never got into that series because you had to continuously run the game over again to get higher gear on a different difficulty. That's been a while so it could of changed.
Pinbot - GOTG - TMNT - Take Five - Star Action
zenbone

Post by zenbone »

Love the switch, they really did a lot right on this system.
they are bringing Fire Emblem Three Houses and Kingdom hearts to the system in the near future
Really hoping they give us Mario Maker for the switch soon, that was an incredible game
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

how good is the mario on switch?

been thinking of grabbing a switch if Mario is worth it.
QuyN

Post by QuyN »

The Switch is great! Zelda was the first game I started playing, but eventually moved on to other games. Can't go wrong with Mario Party, or Mario Kart for the family. I played through Octopath Traveler which is a great JRPG. I've been working through Mario + Rabbids, and I've bought a few 3rd party or Indie games from the Switch store, as well as Nintendo's online service with access to their currently limited Classics library. There's Yoku's Adventure Island, which is a pinball-styled game worth checking out, and I've been meaning to get around to Hollow Knight. It's in my library, just haven't been able to get to it yet. I'm the type who needs to finish a game before moving on to something else, otherwise I won't ever get back to it! Lots of games available for nearly most genres.
zenbone

Post by zenbone »

i really like the online program. For $20 a year you get access to some great old games.
If you want to pair up a pro or PS3 controller to the switch you can get a 8bitdo wireless dongle (pretty cheap on amazon)
it works like a dream!
DeaconBlooze

Post by DeaconBlooze »

Hilton wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:46 am how good is the mario on switch?

been thinking of grabbing a switch if Mario is worth it.
There's a couple now, and they're both pretty good. A lot of people think that Odyssey is one of the best ever. I think it's very good, but I still think Super Mario World was the pinnacle. If you liked Galaxy or 64, then you'll probably very much like this one.

Super Mario Bros Deluxe is the 2d platformer. It's also pretty good, and plays like a retro mario game.

Really covers the best of both worlds.
zenbone wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:12 am If you want to pair up a pro or PS3 controller to the switch you can get a 8bitdo wireless dongle (pretty cheap on amazon)
Once they actually release the SNES games on Nintendo Online (I'm very hopeful/confident they will), I'll likely grab one of the 8bitdo SNES style controllers.
Current machines:

Wh20 :: PinBot :: Flash :: Firepower :: BSD :: SW Pro :: Pokerino :: TnA :: Bank Shot :: Stars :: Sky Jump :: Laser Cue
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

I just bought Rock N Racing Offroad Deluxe for $4.00 on EShop. It very much has an Ivan Stewart Offroad vibe to it. I have been playing local multiplayer with the kids, but it looks like there is online play as well.

Would be a fun online multiplayer if it is like the local multiplayer experience.
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, NBA Fastbreak, Williams Phoenix
Muskie82

Post by Muskie82 »

Mario Odyssey is pretty good. I have played parts of it and loved it. Plan to run thru the whole game one of these days. Has anyone played super smash bros yet? I'm kind of eyeing that one up.
Pinbot - GOTG - TMNT - Take Five - Star Action
DeaconBlooze

Post by DeaconBlooze »

It looks like Link's Awakening and Mario Maker 2 were announced by Nintendo. I remember playing Link's Awakening on gameboy. I don't feel like it was remarkably different than Link to the Past.. but it's been a while.
Current machines:

Chris K

Post by Chris K »

Mario Odyssey is like the Wii U 3D Mario game, with tons of fun activities to do in a big open world. It's typical Nintendo, with lots of really cool and clever stuff to do. Just simple fun.

That said, I'm with Dave: my favorite ever is Super Maro World. Good news on that front though is that the Wii U 2D Mario is coming out for Switch too. It's great solo, but TONS of fun as a party game, especially if you have a mix of people who are good at Mario and people who aren't. You share a screen, so the ace player will constantly be screwed over trying to advance through difficult jumps while the neophytes hold the screen back and make everyone fall into holes. There's no real "game over" in this mode, just a loss of the stage if everyone dies in quick succession, before someone can come back as a bubble.

Mario Kart is the best in the series (sorry, Double Dash), specifically because there's an autopilot mode that helps newbies stay on the road. The 4-8 year old kids in my family love the game with autopilot on, where they can race and blast each other with shells while I'm hauling ass to set lap records and such. It's not super fun solo, but what's better than red-shelling your friends?

I've been playing Diablo heavily since its launch on Switch. It's a fun grind up to max level, and there's a decent number of characters to do it with. After you get to grinding paragon levels it's less fun, but anytime I can get 3-6 months in a game and still have fun, I'm really happy. I recommend this if you like straight-up action games blasting tons of baddies while getting progressively more powerful.

I spoke earlier about Moonlighter. It's one of my favorites so far, and much cheaper than the Nintendo-developed games.

Zelda is awesome. Buy Zelda if you like exploring. If you have a distaste for puzzle games (I'm not a huge fan), look up any irritating puzzle on the Internet, cause the rest of the game is fantastic. Everyone should have Zelda.

I played Blaster Master, which is a remade NES classic. If you like Metroidvanias (explore, collect stuff, unlock new areas, repeat), it's a fun game where you explore an alien world as a guy in a cool wheeled tank thing.

I have Street Fighter 30th Edition cause I'm a big SF2 nerd. We all know that game, and this version has a ton of different versions. Good stuff.

The kids are playing Just Dance. They love it, and it gets the crazies out pretty well. They're also playing Pokemon Eevee, which I'm not into, but I know is really popular.

My backlog right now is Hollow Knight, Mark of the Ninja, Mario Party, Wolfenstein, and Smash Bros. I'm still grinding out Diablo, and have been side-tracked by Red Dead Redemption 2 (I f'ing hate my Xbox. Turd of a console with its constant updates and advertisements everywhere...grumble grumble).
Our pinball table breeding stock:
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Scared Stiff, Black Hole, Roy Clark, Monster Bash Remake, Future Spa, Big Deal, Top Score, Baywatch, Rick and Morty, TMNT, Sinbad, Guns N Roses
QuyN

Post by QuyN »

Tetris 99 is free to download for Nintendo Online subscribers. Classic Tetris gameplay with 99 other opponents in the same match. Once you get to the top 25 or so, it gets really frantic and fun! I've only played a few games, and needed to retrain my brain to get back into Tetris Mode, but it's a good time.
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

I've been meaning to try it out, but haven't gotten much time yet. Seems like fun, if the matchmaking puts you with similarly-skilled players, so you have a chance of winning.

I remember Tetris back on the original Game Boy. Multiplayer Tetris is a lot of fun!
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Scared Stiff, Black Hole, Roy Clark, Monster Bash Remake, Future Spa, Big Deal, Top Score, Baywatch, Rick and Morty, TMNT, Sinbad, Guns N Roses
QuyN

Post by QuyN »

Chris K wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:34 am I've been meaning to try it out, but haven't gotten much time yet. Seems like fun, if the matchmaking puts you with similarly-skilled players, so you have a chance of winning.

I remember Tetris back on the original Game Boy. Multiplayer Tetris is a lot of fun!
I'm not really sure how the matchmaking works. You get XP for each match you play, in which you gain "levels," but I was beating others of a higher level on the first few games I played. I'm not sure how levels are indicative of skill, as opposed to time spent? In any case, it's pretty fun. The clicky D-Pad on the joy-con (in the grip) works really well. Playing with the analog stick would be a nightmare.
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

I'm definitely going to have to try out Tetris soon, it sounds cool!

Does anybody else have a Pro controller? Controllers are a real individual thing, but it's a great one. The d-pad is the best of any current console, the grips are pretty comfortable, and the analog sticks are of a good height and travel. I wish Nintendo had some analog capability on their triggers, but otherwise I'd say this is as close to the perfect controller as I've used. I highly recommend it if you play docked!