Other game room toys

Pinball Discussion, Location Games, Etc.
DeaconBlooze

Other game room toys

Post by DeaconBlooze »

I know there are a lot of us that like a nice variety in game rooms. What other things are taking up valuable pinball space? List em out and justify em!

9' pool table - I used to play competitively in college, and I required space for a proper 9' table when purchasing my first home (that was before I got into pinball). The amount of space it takes up is immense... about 14'x18' of dedicated space. But, it's versatile. It comes in handy during Christmas for wrapping presents, it helps during a shop job, and it can double as a less than ideal gaming/poker table. Right now my daughter and I are using it to put together some lego sets.

Steel tip dartboard - I tell everyone that will listen that a steel tip dartboard is a must for every game room. The cost is incredibly low (the best bristle boards you can think of will cost you maaaaybe $85), it's approachable, takes up almost no "active" space, and it's passive (throw some darts while watching a game). I hear some people say that it's too dangerous with kids. I do remember hurling my grandparents darts as hard as I could against their cork board... but it seems a simple enough problem to solve by leaving the darts out of reach.

Racing/flight rig - Really neat, but doesn't get a ton of use. I spent a lot of time before I had kids getting really deep into ultra-realistic racing simulators. I would tune cars for hours for specific tracks, spend hours practicing, and then run several races... all within a week until we moved to a new track. My wife never really understood that even though I was just sitting there in the basement, that I was also driving a car at over 100mph. When she would come downstairs and startle me asking me where I put the mail, I'd go skidding into the grass before a horrific crash into a wall. I've only dabbled recently, and as much as I want to get back into this hobby, I just don't have the time it requires to be competitive.

Beer fridge (small) - A place to put beer that keeps it cold. Doubles as a shelf.

VR Area - A ridiculous space I've setup in my basement where I shoot red guys that only move when I move. I actually hard mounted some of the sensors, so at least for now it's relatively permanent. This would be the easiest thing to get rid of or move to get more pinball space in this area, though..

Home Theater - I'm pretty nuts about A/V stuff. My wife knows not to ask me to watch anything where A/V is important anywhere other than this room. It's a small space, which has helped me keep the costs way down from what most people spend.

XBox/Switch - I spend a lot of time playing Overwatch casually with friends, some Red Dead, and switch games. I can see why some people don't feel the need to go too far away from video games for entertainment. The
Current machines:

Wh20 :: PinBot :: Flash :: Firepower :: BSD :: SW Pro :: Pokerino :: TnA :: Bank Shot :: Stars :: Sky Jump :: Laser Cue
ralphwiggum

Re: Other game room toys

Post by ralphwiggum »

I almost have an identical list to yours minus VR and Pool table.

My only regret..... Not having more room for more of these-
IMG_20161220_225406606.jpg
I wish I had room for AT LEAST 4 of them. Just soooo much fun when people are over.
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, NBA Fastbreak, Williams Phoenix
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

Pretty normal toys for me. I'm a gaming nerd through and through.

I'm in on most of the gaming platforms... the PS4 is the only console I haven't owned since the Dreamcast (unless you count the Vita, and who does?), although I do most of my gaming on Steam. I do really like the Mini consoles, but more for collecting games than really playing them. They're just...cool. I'm sure fellow geek collectors get it. :)

I'm currently playing everything I possibly can on the Switch, cause that means I can play during lunch at work.

We've been playing Rock Band since it came out, and probably will continue until we can't keep our instruments working. I modded my 360 so I could add a bunch of custom tracks. Don't tell Jimmy Page I'm butchering Zeppelin with plastic karaoke toys. :)

Our big TV is hooked up to the 5.1 setup I've had for almost 20 years. Blows the roof off the house without breaking a sweat, so I'm not too tempted to upgrade, especially because I can't play too loud after the kids go to bed. I have a record collection that doesn't get enough play, but I love the album art and certain albums just beg to be played on vinyl.

I'm into smart home stuff, and most of my rooms have Sonos and Hue bulbs. I like living on the Enterprise D. :)

I guess you could say "iPad" as a toy too, cause I spent most of my free time just reading stuff on the iPad.

I always wanted a Tornado foos ball table, but they take up too much space. Ditto for skee ball. I'm still thinking I might put a skee ball in the garage, but I don't know how it would hold up to the winters with wet cars melting snow.

I'm becoming resigned to the fact that I have more games to play than I have years left, but I still struggle to not buy anything cool and new that comes out, even though it'll go straight into my backlog.

Oh, and there's pinball. Just one table costs as much as all of the other stuff combined. Pinball is such a bad use of funds! :lol:
Our pinball table breeding stock:
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Scared Stiff, Black Hole, Roy Clark, Monster Bash Remake, Future Spa, Big Deal, Top Score, Baywatch, Rick and Morty, TMNT, Sinbad, Guns N Roses
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

What am I doing wrong?

I would never have time for any of this. Hell our Tv was on the other night for the first time in a few months because Fish was over with the twisted flipper team and he wanted to watch football.

If I had time I would go in deep on a sim flying rig.

Other than that. I keep it simple in the gameroom. Pinball, pinball and more pinball. :lol:
Radical, Taxi, RollerGames, Dr. Dude, EATPM, Bad Cats, Diner, Police Force, Riverboat Gambler, Swords of Fury, Cyclone, IMDN, Tommy, GNR, MET Prem, KISS Prem, TRS, AC/DC LE, Rob Zombie, Monopoly, No Good Gofers, Who Dunnit, DemoMan, Scared Stiff, Ghostbusters Prem. Not here: Earthshaker, AC/DC, F-14, HMM. Tech bay: Game Show.
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

Pinball is simple? You're a crazy man! ;)

I really do need to find a casual (but realistic flight model) flight sim to just puddle around with. Many nights I don't have the energy to screw around with in-depth games, so mindless entertainment is the way to go. Flying under bridges and sight-seeing in a flight sim seems like good gaming therapy.

Or I could just have a beer and watch some TV, and stumble off to bed at 9pm. Yeah, that sounds about right.... :)
Our pinball table breeding stock:
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Scared Stiff, Black Hole, Roy Clark, Monster Bash Remake, Future Spa, Big Deal, Top Score, Baywatch, Rick and Morty, TMNT, Sinbad, Guns N Roses
DeaconBlooze

Post by DeaconBlooze »

ChrisS wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:27 am What am I doing wrong?
ChrisS wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:27 am Pinball, pinball and more pinball.
Current machines:

Wh20 :: PinBot :: Flash :: Firepower :: BSD :: SW Pro :: Pokerino :: TnA :: Bank Shot :: Stars :: Sky Jump :: Laser Cue