Beatles Pinball Announced

Pinball Discussion, Location Games, Etc.
DeaconBlooze

Beatles Pinball Announced

Post by DeaconBlooze »

Why they didn't announce 4 days ago, I have no idea. It is apparently a reskinned seawitch layout. As a younger fan, I was hoping for a focus on their later years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQUT2AH ... e=youtu.be
Attachments
90249078d1708f504f72e2e393aed4a0afe6910b.jpg
56688e1f6f4e911e05a43c6e9e96fe2502ae47da.jpg
97a1b622eaad264f00c41317dd4899844d32170d.jpg
2d93aeabc298c2fd02024fe173f27408f006ad4f.jpg
1ab90cefa292a7ecbbf215a15cf190283ce95cae.jpg
Current machines:

Wh20 :: PinBot :: Flash :: Firepower :: BSD :: SW Pro :: Pokerino :: TnA :: Bank Shot :: Stars :: Sky Jump :: Laser Cue
Methos

Re: Beatles Pinball Announced

Post by Methos »

The early material has more kick than the later songs, and they were still written and recorded as a group. Towards the end, they were coming in and recording their own pieces separately. Plus they never did any of those songs live.

I have no problem with era, but everything else is weak. Interesting how the two living Beatles are up front in the center playfield. :D

So many better poses they could have used....(album cover of Rock and Roll Music is the best), maybe Meet the Beatles or even A Hard Days Night cover. Speaking of that, the drawings from the translate are early 1963, not 64. Their hair was much more grown out. Can't believe Apple actually approved this.
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

Wow, that’s a rather unapologetic cash grab. Why didn’t they just ship it as a bagatelle and save a ton on BOM?

This is like a racing series where the rules specify the constructor must field a street car, so they build a race car and then put blinkers and bumpers on some of them and sell them to well-heeled collectors. Stern may as well have just made their 100 Diamond Edition tables, because that’s where 90% of their profit is going to come from. Pinball players aren’t exactly going to sell their Iron Maiden’s to play Seawitch again.

It’s disappointing. Had they put a real effort in, they could have sold another cool pinball table to all of us, and a collector’s piece to some rich guys. Does design really cost THAT much?
Our pinball table breeding stock:
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Scared Stiff, Black Hole, Roy Clark, Monster Bash Remake, Future Spa, Big Deal, Top Score, Baywatch, Rick and Morty, TMNT, Sinbad, Guns N Roses
Methos

Post by Methos »

Depending on the price, I am considering it as I love classic Sterns. Trouble is what do I do with my Seawitch? No sense having 2 right? :D
BrewNinja

Post by BrewNinja »

Im sure just because it says Beatles on it, it will sell, but what a turd. If they would have put even a little effort into it, could have been so much more. So this is a Kapow game.....does that mean that this essentially reskinned Seawitch is going to be north of $10k? The BoM has to be laughable, thats a crazy amount of money for what you are getting (I can hear it now....but it has a spinning disk! :lol: ).
Black Hole, F14, Dirty Harry, Walking Dead Premium, Fish Tales, Comet, Metallica, The Shadow, Whirlwind, Black Knight 2000, Deadpool
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

I am still looking to buy a seawitch if anyone is selling :D
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

A disc and a magnet!
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Scared Stiff, Black Hole, Roy Clark, Monster Bash Remake, Future Spa, Big Deal, Top Score, Baywatch, Rick and Morty, TMNT, Sinbad, Guns N Roses
Methos

Post by Methos »

Chris K wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:34 am A disc and a magnet!
Exactly!

We'll see - if it's a hard 7,500, probably will have to pass. If under 7k, there might be a decent SW up for trade or highest bid.

:)
u2sean

Post by u2sean »

My guess is that the "Gold" edition will be north of $7K. It's the Beatles, and many of these are going to find their way into the hands of non-pinball people just like Supreme did. Plain and simple. It's actually a good business decision on the part of Stern. Those that are saying it's just a cash grab aren't looking at the entire customer base.

It does absolutely nothing for me, but will reserve judgement until I get to actually play one. Hearing the chimes in the background, I wonder if those are real or not. I'm also wondering if they're going to use old style EM scores (like Whoa Nellie), maybe put "reels" an LCD, or just have standard score fonts. I'm sure this will all be answered in the near future. If they're going retro on this, I think they should just go all out and make it really unique.
Tron, Shadow, Shrek, STTNG, TZ, Dimension, TNA, AFMr, Neptune, R&M, Godzilla Prem, King of Diamonds, S&S, Dialed In! LE, Bank Shot, IJ, Scooby CE, ST Prem
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

Seawitch is great and all, but what you're getting here is Beatles playfield art for $5K+. I don't think I'd pay $5K to turn a Seawitch into a pin with my kids as the theme!

On some level all pinball is throwing a bunch of money at silliness. So I suppose this isn't any sillier than WOZ or BM66. But it's a lot harder to swallow when the usual agreement with Stern is, "I pay you ~$6K and you make a new pinball table for me". This agreement is "I pay you ~$7K and you change some playfield art for me".

I have to wonder if this is a trial balloon for bespoke "street level" table production? If people will buy their individual dream theme with an old/inexpensive table design for full price, Stern could reduce their development budget to a fraction of what, say, Deadpool cost, and produce a boatload of table themes catering to numerous smaller customer bases.

Get your Rush, Harry Potter, Toy Story, etc. $7K apiece, pick your art package. Heck, if this is a profitable business model, they're probably kicking themselves for making Iron Maiden with all those fancy parts on it; they could have saved maybe $1000 BOM on each table by reusing defunct 80's designs.

I'll take a Goonies via Flight 2000, please!
BrewNinja

Post by BrewNinja »

I highly doubt it will be under $10k. Its beatles and under 2000 being made. Lots of non-pinball people will want one. I wouldn't doubt it starts at $15k for the "cheap" version.
Black Hole, F14, Dirty Harry, Walking Dead Premium, Fish Tales, Comet, Metallica, The Shadow, Whirlwind, Black Knight 2000, Deadpool
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

BrewNinja wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:14 am I highly doubt it will be under $10k. Its beatles and under 2000 being made. Lots of non-pinball people will want one. I wouldn't doubt it starts at $15k for the "cheap" version.
IMHO, 1964 is not limited by any means for a pinball machine.

Keep in mind that a powerhouse seller (ACDC, MET, Maiden) for Stern is rarely many more than 2000 games in total (and that is LEs, prem, pro models plus any vaults/re-issues that happen over a 3 year period).

If they price the "gold" version even at vault prices of 7500, I dont think this comes close to selling out.

Pro prices and they have a shot due to license/theme.
Tim E

Post by Tim E »

I agree with Hilton on this one. They will have difficulty selling the Gold Premiums(7.5K) as they are really an overpriced pro with some inner art blades. Unless there are 1,614 non-pinball Beatles fans that will shell out $7450 for a Beatles toy I guess it is possible. 1964 is a ton of pins even with a great title like the Beatles. Arguably, the best license besides Led Zeppelin...
It sounds like they are building 100 Super Diamond Le's(50K) and 250 Platinum LE's(25K) as well. I thought the numbers were lower until I just looked. Crazy prices, wow...
It will be fun like BM66, but is a reskinned Seawitch, albeit a very fun pin, but a street level game nonetheless.
My guess is they will have to cut price like BM66 when they sit.