WOT: Lego Simpsons

Pinball Discussion, Location Games, Etc.
PaulyB18

WOT: Lego Simpsons

Post by PaulyB18 »

This looks awesome. Tim, order this now!

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2014/01/lego-simpsons/
DeaconBlooze

Re: WOT: Lego Simpsons

Post by DeaconBlooze »

That's pretty cool. Too bad legos are so damn expensive. This could make for a pretty cool topper.
Current machines:

Wh20 :: PinBot :: Flash :: Firepower :: BSD :: SW Pro :: Pokerino :: TnA :: Bank Shot :: Stars :: Sky Jump :: Laser Cue
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

My wife sent that link to me about a week ago. It seems like the perfect storm- My son's love of Legos and my love of the Simpsons. I am curious as to the cost right now. Based on what other sets cost, I am guessing right around the $175-200 mark.

Legos have come a long way in the last 15 years (and so have their prices!). I think we are hitting close to the 2k mark with all the different sets we have bought the last couple of years. It is one of my absolute favorite things to do with my son.
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Fish Tales, Wheel of Fortune
jpolfer

Post by jpolfer »

Seems like about the right price for something like that.

LEGO prices have actually remained stable or gone down over the years, its just not obvious that it has. This blog post is quite interesting on the subject: http://therealityprose.wordpress.com/20 ... with_lego/
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

I think what is making Legos seem so expensive now is just the sheer number of sets they offer for each license. I am pretty sure I have about 500-ish tied into LOTR licensed sets, and another 500-ish in POTC licensed sets. The other thing that has evolved in the Lego world is the actual shapes and pieces being used. A lot of them are so specialized for a set, you wont ever see them in another set. Legos used to be generic enough (way back) to use different sets to make one particular set.

Their scam is the mini-figures. Granted, I am only looking at Legos through the eyes of my 6 year old, but the mini-figures are only available in certain sets. If I want a particular Gandalf (or whatever) I have to buy the $150 set compared to the $25 set. Sure, I can get just the mini-figure on Ebay for $40, but that defeats the whole point of acutally collecting and building Legos.
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Fish Tales, Wheel of Fortune
DeaconBlooze

Post by DeaconBlooze »

I'm sure you're already aware of minecraft legos...:

https://www.google.com/search?q=minecra ... s&tbm=shop
Current machines:

Wh20 :: PinBot :: Flash :: Firepower :: BSD :: SW Pro :: Pokerino :: TnA :: Bank Shot :: Stars :: Sky Jump :: Laser Cue
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Yeah, dodged a bullet with that one though, he has no interest in the sets unless the mini-figures are there. Minecraft doesn't really have any unique characters that are personable, so he doesn't care about the Legos for them. I know he does a plush Creeper doll (thing looks like a giant green penis), but there isn't really anything that stands out Leg-wise as set specific cool...
Current Collection