*Official* IFPA Wisconsin Pinball Championship Info/Discussion

Detailed Events Forum. All Calendar Entries point back to events in this forum.
ChestRockwell

*Official* IFPA Wisconsin Pinball Championship Info/Discussion

Post by ChestRockwell »

Hello, all my top WI pinballers. The time of the year is finally upon us for the Wisconsin installment of the State Championship Series, where the top 16 players from the state get to battle it out in a best-of-7, single-elimination tournament. There will also be a "loser's bracket", which will likely consist of best-of-3 matches. In all best-of matches, the higher seed will always get choice of game or player order on the very first game. 2nd game selection/order is picked by the loser of the previous round. It took me a bit to nail down a location, but it has been decided that the championship will be run on February 11th at Jim Radovich's private residence. I figured this location would be ideal in terms of travel time for Fox Cities people, it is actually located IN Milwaukee(the host city), but mainly due to the fact that several(2/3 to 3/4?) of all the expected SCS participants recently played there for the 2nd Annual Interleague Championship only a couple months ago. I have attached a game list, but the only changes I recall to his lineup since that meeting are GB Premium has been added and Space Invaders is unfortunately departed. Will for sure post more details or ask for some voting on a couple things(time/food/trophies?) once I have an email list sent to me by the IFPA and I have initially contacted the participants. This tournament has never run crazy long, so if we start it anytime before noon you can plan on having your evening available/no late night driving. (Am thinking of doing trophies for the top 4 finalists). I believe the cost just for SCS prize pool itself is $20 per person, but $10/$15 will likely be added to that for trophies/snacks/drinks at this private location, depending on what feedback I get on those topics...so plan on a $30/$35 fee for SCS. Once you receive this email from me/IFPA, PLEASE make it a point to RSVP as QUICKLY as possible so I can compile my list of players and to give me some time to really iron out the rest of the details. So, that said, keep your eyes on this thread, and if you are in the top 16 and plan on making it, please feel free to reach out and ask any questions/raise any concerns you may have as soon as possible. Apologize again for any delay/uncertainty, but it will be an awesome day of competitive and fun pinball that I hope everyone is looking forward to. Also, there is a link at the bottom of this post that will take you to a way more detailed description of the SCS Tournament and format. It will probably answer more questions than I can. :)

Game List:

The Hobbit
Spider-Man
Black Knight
Batman the Dark Knight
X-Men (LE)
Lord of the Rings
No Good Gofers
Indiana Jones(Williams)
Twilight Zone
Star Trek the Next Generation
Wizard of Oz
Demolition Man
Funhouse
Cirquis Voltaire
Ghostbusters (Premium)
Haunted House
Shrek

SCS Info: https://www.ifpapinball.com/menu/gridir ... cialrules/
Hilton

Re: *Official* IFPA Wisconsin Pinball Championship Info/Discussion

Post by Hilton »

Thanks so much for organizing and putting this together Paul O.

Thanks very much for offering up your collection Jim R (and what a great colleciton it is!).
ChestRockwell

Post by ChestRockwell »

I have sent out an email to the top 24 ranked players in the state, and we are close to having our 16 player field set. If you are in the top 24, please check your email address that you have registered with the IFPA and get back to me as soon as you get a chance. Technically I have to have it locked down by January 14th, but wouldn't mind having it done sooner. Thanks a lot, guys.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

I have not seen any updates but i saw this pop up on IFPA today.

looks like the WI finals are all set

https://www.ifpapinball.com/champseries/?year=2017&s=WI
ChestRockwell

Post by ChestRockwell »

Well, with the field set it is safe to say that these are the likely WI SCS first round matchups:

#1 Ryan Spindler vs. #16 Jimmy Leingang
#2 David Daluga vs. # 15 BJ McCarthy Jr
#3 Timothy Enders vs. #14 Brodde Peterson
#4 Tom Graf vs. #13 Jim Radovich
#5 Hilton Jones vs. #12 Rob Stickney
#6 Eric Strangeway vs. #11 Paul Okruhlica
#7 Bryon Schmitz vs. #10 Ken Kulig
#8 Buddha vs. #9 Maya Nigrosh

There it is!!! Practice up, and see you all in February!!!
Ken

Post by Ken »

Quietest SCS thread since the SCS started! :lol:

Thank you Paul for putting in the leg work!

Thank you Jim for hosting!

Good luck to everyone that participates!

It was fun as hell playing pinball in 2016 with all of you!!
Eric_S

Post by Eric_S »

I'm looking forward to the SCS too, only a couple weeks away now. Looks like there are a few new faces in the SCS with Buddha, Jimmy, BJ, Jim and Bryon.

Paul - any thoughts on doing a side tournament? Does Jim have a Stern Star Trek yet??? :D
DanQverymuch

Post by DanQverymuch »

Wow, I was only 10 slots away from making the cut, after the non-attendees were identified. Maybe I should enter more than nine events this year! (Six of the nine in '16 were league!)

Good luck in the SCS to all!
ChestRockwell

Post by ChestRockwell »

Ken wrote:Quietest SCS thread since the SCS started! :lol:

Thank you Paul for putting in the leg work!

Thank you Jim for hosting!

Good luck to everyone that participates!

It was fun as hell playing pinball in 2016 with all of you!!

Quietest thread, is right!!...Crickets. Either way, thanks for the "thanks". It is all shaping up tom be a pretty awesome day. And I want to echo Ken said, that is is and has been sincerely awesome getting to know and flipping with all of you this past year. Looking forward to many more great events this year.
ChestRockwell

Post by ChestRockwell »

Eric_S wrote:I'm looking forward to the SCS too, only a couple weeks away now. Looks like there are a few new faces in the SCS with Buddha, Jimmy, BJ, Jim and Bryon.

Paul - any thoughts on doing a side tournament? Does Jim have a Stern Star Trek yet??? :D

Yes!! Big congratulations to the 5 new participants in the SCS this year!! First SCS of many for all of you, I'd be willing to bet.

And, yes...I actually did give some recent thought to a Side Tournament. For fun & cash(and for something to do until the trophy presentation), after discussion with Jim there will be a Side Tournament ran on 'Black Knight'. Price will be $2 per play, unlimited entries allowed(with new players taking priority). Black Knight has been having some extremely random reset issues on multi-player games, so rather than run the risk of a problem occuring during SCS play, it was decided to remove it from the SCS line-up and make it a Side Tourney game. All prize money will go to the top finisher(s). Any questions or thoughts, please feel free to hit me up or chime in on this thread.
ChestRockwell

Post by ChestRockwell »

Also, want to confirm that sub sandwiches and chips will be the food choice, a variety combos from Cousin's or Jersey Mike's. There will be a few

veggie subs among all the usual ham/beef/turkey options, but if you have a strong preference for something else, please let me know. There will

also be several beer, soda and water options. If, however, you are a fan of something special or unique, please feel free to bring any beer/drink/

booze of your own. Again, doors open at 9 a.m. for practice, with the SCS to start promptly at 10 a.m.. T minus 1 week, people!!!... Look forward

to a memorable day with all of you.
TomGWI

Post by TomGWI »

Thanks for the updates Paul. Looking forward to some pinball.
Tom.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Any madison guys want to car pool?

I plan to get knocked out in the first round and start drinking heavily :D
Who wants to pick me up and be a safe driver?
chevmontess

Post by chevmontess »

Thanks so much Paul for running and Jim for hosting. I really appreciate it. Looking forward to an intense day of pinball. I have to use wisconsinpinball.com more!!!
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Just want everyone to get as much heads up as possible. I have emailed Paul so he knows but it will impact whom everyone plays so felt it right to give you all a heads up ASAP also.

I have something else I need to attend to this Saturday so I will not be attending the SCS. I apologize for the late notice.

Good luck to everyone in SCS.

Have fun all!

When you lose, drink a beer for me.