Northern WI pins in the wild. A sad state.

Pinball Discussion, Location Games, Etc.
Hoopjohn

Northern WI pins in the wild. A sad state.

Post by Hoopjohn »

I live in the Eagle River area. There are many venues in the area with pinball machines. Bowling alleys usually are the best bet for finding pins.

Unfortunately, it seems like most pins in the wild are in sad condition. Worn out or non working flippers, pop bumpers and slingshots. Playfields that haven't been cleaned in a decade and resemble the floor of a machine shop. Then there is a issue of poor lighting/glare.

There are a couple of bright spots, but overall, the typical pin in the wild residing in the WI Northwoods is trashed almost to the point of being unplayable.

I'll point out the few bright spots.

Eagle Lanes---Eagle River, WI Mary Shelleys Frankenstein Machine plays good, flippers working, adequate lighting
Island City Lanes---Minoqua, WI T-2 Machine in decent operating condition
Belle Isle---Minoqua, WI Lord of the Rings This machine is the best one I've ever played in the wild. I'm not totally dialed in on the machine, but it seems it all works....and works good. I just don't care for the theme.

It seems the vending companies make there bread n butter from the illegal video gambling machines, pool tables & jukeboxes. Pinball machines are unquestionably the red headed step child that receive little attention.

Is it like this everywhere? Just curious.
Current collection. Police Force, Terminator 2, Bride of Pinbot, Metallica Pro, United "Bowling Alley" ball bowler, United "Coronado" Ball Bowler
Ran

Re: Northern WI pins in the wild. A sad state.

Post by Ran »

Ouch.
The Northern WI pin scene sounds abused.
Down here in madison the are a few places I've found that have pretty decent playing games.
There's a nice R&B in my local bar that plays well. They used to have a T2 that played great. And prior to that a Sopranos that was fun but showing signs of wear.
The east side of Madison has a larger selection but unfortunately I haven't played much on that side lately.
Current Collection
Hobbit LE | Spider-Man | Mousin’ Around | Counterforce
ralphwiggum

Re: Northern WI pins in the wild. A sad state.

Post by ralphwiggum »

I have ONE pin on route within a 10 mile radius of me.... It is a Starship Troopers and it is maintained by Bullseye out of Madison.... Not the greatest playing machine by any means....

There really is not much (if any) money to be made on pins on route. The only way they make money is when they sell the machine when they are done.

Milwaukee has a much better scene than Madison IMO.... Reds seem to take pretty nice care of their games (or is it Mitchell's, I don't remember)....
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Fish Tales, Wheel of Fortune