Madtown at PAPA

Pinball Discussion, Location Games, Etc.
Hilton

Re: Madtown at PAPA

Post by Hilton »

I am pretty sure they are flipping the dates/weekends for pinburgh and papa next year???
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

I'm seriously thinking about going to Pinburgh 2015 (July 30-Aug 2 2015), especially since next year it's part of ReplayFX which is going to be a huge gaming fest with over 700 pinball and arcade machines. I know tickets go on sale in Dec. and usually sell out within minutes/hours. I did really enjoy the more laid back format of PAPA with being able to qualify on your own time but non-stop competition on many games during Pinburgh would be really cool to try. If anyone else is interested we should try and coordinate a trip.
Current Collection: Rick and Morty, JPPrem, TWDLE, SW Pro, Stranger Things Pro, Godzilla Pro, Pulp Fiction, GNRLE, Doctor Who, Eight Ball, Harlem, Stars, Shadow.
Ken

Post by Ken »

MikeS wrote:I'm seriously thinking about going to Pinburgh 2015 (July 30-Aug 2 2015), especially since next year it's part of ReplayFX which is going to be a huge gaming fest with over 700 pinball and arcade machines. I know tickets go on sale in Dec. and usually sell out within minutes/hours. I did really enjoy the more laid back format of PAPA with being able to qualify on your own time but non-stop competition on many games during Pinburgh would be really cool to try. If anyone else is interested we should try and coordinate a trip.

Very interested. I'm in.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

That time of year works much better for me than when the proposed shift for PaPa is (early spring I think??).

I would be fun to at least try the new format. Would be hard to decide in Dec but I suppose they will always let you back out of the registration if there is a waitlist?
Tim E

Post by Tim E »

I would def consider Pinburgh as well hearing nothing, but positive things from everyone at PAPA. Think about PAPA as well. I plan on going again... :D
Hilton is right about the settings...In my qualifying pack of 24 out of the 200 plus entrants SM, SS all had lightning flippers and as Hilton said, open outlanes, light tilts, big rubbers etc...I had to get used to the SS especially since I own one it was really weird having the shorter flippers. It messed with my first ball, but I still ended up in second on that game...
TomGWI

Post by TomGWI »

Interested.......Very Interested!
chaos

Post by chaos »

If you're going to pick one of the two events, Pinburgh is the one to go to. Hands down.

It's two absolutely brutal days of match play--five banks of four tables a day with barely any time to think in between. Each bank is one EM, one early SS, one recent game, and one from the 80s or 90s. You get ranked going in, but the groups are spread pretty wide on the first day. It's not until the second that everyone gets organized into divisions. My first game was on the TVs in the A bank, versus Trent Augenstein and a few others. Because everything the first day is just purely based on rank, I had the opportunity to mix it up with a lot of top-100 players.

And, really, that's the thing about Pinburgh. You are playing against so many different people. You can learn from them and see different styles, and some of them become faces you can recognize (and grab a beer with or get some quick game tips from) at the next tournament. Totally worth it.

I had a blast at PAPA this year, even though my goal of "beat Hilton" was completely obliterated by that #1 on JM.
Methos

Post by Methos »

We might think of going - have to wait and see what next year brings.