Madtown at PAPA

Pinball Discussion, Location Games, Etc.
Hilton

Re: Madtown at PAPA

Post by Hilton »

Tim lost, but still played awesome!
Ken

Post by Ken »

Nice run Tim!! Was fun following you!
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

Nice run Tim! proud you made it as far as you did.
Current Collection: Rick and Morty, JPPrem, TWDLE, SW Pro, Foo Fighters Pro, Godzilla Pro, GNRLE, Alien Star, Space Invaders, Harlem, Stars, Shadow.
DeaconBlooze

Post by DeaconBlooze »

Nice job, Tim! Way to represent!

I was pretty disappointed that they didn't broadcast any of the qualifying like they had in years past. I was hoping to catch some qually games from the local crew.
Current machines:

Wh20 :: PinBot :: Flash :: Firepower :: BSD :: SW Pro :: Pokerino :: TnA :: Bank Shot :: Stars :: Sky Jump :: Laser Cue
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Well done Tim!
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Hey, lets not. Forget about my high score on jm that even the winner of papa could not take down. ;)
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

Great score on JM! Was the JM in A quarterfinals the same as the one in C bank? from watching the live stream that game was absolutely brutal! I think Elwin tilted out all 3 balls on his game...
Current Collection: Rick and Morty, JPPrem, TWDLE, SW Pro, Foo Fighters Pro, Godzilla Pro, GNRLE, Alien Star, Space Invaders, Harlem, Stars, Shadow.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

MikeS wrote:Great score on JM! Was the JM in A quarterfinals the same as the one in C bank? from watching the live stream that game was absolutely brutal! I think Elwin tilted out all 3 balls on his game...
Thanks.
Yes, identical game. TAF. WOF. JM. F14. All from c bank qual were used in A playoffs.

It was slightly refreshing to even see some A players struggle on those games.
Ken

Post by Ken »

By cheering for Tim I meant in no way to diminish your great play Hilton. Just wasn't sure if I should say anything after you dropped below the cut. Just in case you were in a bad mood. :)

I bookmarked you and followed you closely as well. Looks like purchasing that game to practice paid off as you had the #3(?) overall score in that one too! Congrats on great play and thanks again for all the updates and pics!
Methos

Post by Methos »

I was in Chicago all weekend - so couldn't keep up with the progress, but congrats to the Madison guys who sounded like the kicked ass! Thanks for the play by play updates.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

I am not sure it is possible to be in a bad mood at papa. I had a blast and am VERY happy with my finish. I did much better than the previous year and really dominated a few machines. I had a few tickets that were seriously 1 flip away from being a qualifying ticket and 40th (ish... not sure where I finally ended up) is something to be proud of.

The tough part about PAPA is the format of putting up a good ticket and I need to work on game consistency to be able to perform in that format. If this had been a pump and dump where you can better scores on an individual machine then I would have for sure been in the top 16-24.

I had the most fun on Saturday afternoon/evening when Lou and I were headhunting and putting up blocking tickets to help keep Tim safely in the top 24. I dropped in 4 tickets and was strategically knocking down people that were either slightly above or below Tim. It was coincidental that I also put up that JM score and had a great game on WOF on one of those tickets. If I could have eeked out just one game worth 25 more points on that ticket I would have been in, but I choked once it shifted from helping Tim to "oh shit, this ticket could put be back into the fun". Either way it was still a blast and also a good time trying to document Tim in the playoffs as I watched.

Hopefully I can make it back next year and we can get even more locals to go. It is way more fun with a few friends to strategize and work together. The best part was going in 3 and 4 packs to play the 400 practice games. We had mini-competitions we made up for ourselves all day Friday and Saturday when we were taking a break from competition.

Competing in Classics was also cool and I would recommend playing 1 ticket in each of the 3 days. It was fun to play next to some of the big dogs and also force them to realize that I may be an opinionated prick but I can still have lots of fun.
Tim E

Post by Tim E »

Guys, thanks so much for all the support and following me back at home. Ken, either you or Paulie was texting me which was really great(let me know so I can save your name). Hilton(and Lou) thanks very much for the blocking...it, without a doubt, secured me. Hilton destroyed JM that ended up in the A Finals and the top ten in the world were seriously struggling with it. Hilton Yakusa-ed a 2.5 million atom bomb(and set up really hard with a SUPER light tilt and open out lanes) for the guys that were trying to knock me down at number 17 qualifier(out of 24 qualify and a total of over 200 people).
Like Hilton said it is nice to rub elbows with some of the top players. Most of them are really cool. Especially, Johnny Modica, Bowin Kerins, Keith Johnson, the Sharpe brothers. It was also cool that I qualified for the classics tourney as well. I actually put up one card and was in(I put in a blocker that Hilton suggested at the end-not sure if that helped or not, but was a great idea either way). It was cool because I put up 835,000 while Zach Sharpe(top ten in the world) was behind me and I had been talking to him in line. He put up 135,000. :D
We had a complete blast and I will for sure go again...
Tim E

Post by Tim E »

DeaconBlooze wrote:Nice job, Tim! Way to represent!

I was pretty disappointed that they didn't broadcast any of the qualifying like they had in years past. I was hoping to catch some qually games from the local crew.
Thanks, Mike, Dave, Ken, TOM G, Jeremy and everyone for the nice comments. I agree, they should televise as much qualifying and playoffs that they can...it would get MORE people interested in coming, playing in tourneys etc...
Just remember, Godfather does not want to be photographed. :lol:
Last edited by Tim E on Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

I highly suggest EVERYONE that likes to compete in pinball make the trek to Pittsburgh for either pinburgh or PAPA. I will note that every single person that has done both events says pinburgh is better. I have only done PAPA and it is a blast. I can't weigh in on pinburgh but sounds like a fun format.

I think the first year I did not have as realistic of expectations as this year and hence I had more fun "competitionwise" this year.

The rule changes this year (top 400 IFPA can't play C) also really helped to level the field and this year. I felt everyone in C belonged there which was a big improvement. There were numerous big issues with their judgement calls on some wacky machine/ player malfunctions in both qualifying and playoffs which really just comes out of the inexperienced score keepers and an odd mentality that seems to have a deep rooted history.

No matter what, it was still super fun.

Some tips if you are going to attend:
1. Research every game in the bank before attending
2. Seek out and play ALL of them in the month leading up. This was a huge help and beeing able to play JM, F14, JB, and Futurespa in particular were very clutch to both Tim and I. A big thanks to all of you guys that invited us over to practice and teach us rules on those games.
3. Expect to fail misseably. Mike can attest to the difficulties of these games. They are beyond brutal. Open or removed lanes, posts with narrowed shots by putting on huge rubbers, lighting flips on od games, tilts that are so sensitive a multiball can set them off, stunted spinner that will only do 1 revolution.
4. Play games often on the first day. Seriously, I wish I had put up 5 cards on day 1 and just gone in with the idea that I would play all 10 games at least twice. I went in with the idea of what were going to be MY 5 games and that all failed. I kept playing TAF even though it was a turd with broken weldmelts and horribly inconsistent scoop feeds. I should have abandoned ship. I avoided WOF for a long time and it ended up being clutch for me and I consistently put up good scores
5. Figure out how to forget that you are at PAPA. You will play better if you can just treat it like our regular league night and remind yourself that you have all the skills.
6. Don't focus on blowing up games. 5 games (heck even 4 games) that score the 40th best score of the weekend would have put you in the playoffs. Blowing up 1 game is good, but 4 decent games is much better.
7. Don't be afraid to void a ticket. I submitted more than I should have and would have been better off voiding ones that I knew did not have a chance.
8. Have fun. You are playing on the worlds biggest stage for pinball
Ken

Post by Ken »

Hoping to make it to one of the two next year, Which ever one you guys go to will be the one I try and make it to. I'm thinking I might have a 7 off next august (since I had a 7 on this time).

And that was me texting you Tim. :)