Planning for the future - Basement Arcade

Pinball Discussion, Location Games, Etc.
zenbone

Planning for the future - Basement Arcade

Post by zenbone »

I realize the questions i am going to pose are probably of the case-by-case nature depending on the house we land in but figured why not ask...

When we relocate we are planning on a house with a nice basement for an arcade/bar... i am trying to figure out some of the things i will need to budget for. I lived in PA for the first 23 years of my life so I have some memory of basements but i have been in Florida since 1993 (land of no basements). what are some basement arcade conversion issues that i might run into? i plan on getting an electrician in there prior to build out to put in some solid power lines so we are not popping fuses. Other than ensuring machines are physically able to get in and out of the basement what am i forgetting? Other than throwing money at machines and a kegerator :D
Chris K

Re: Planning for the future - Basement Arcade

Post by Chris K »

We just moved, and if I'm totally honest pinball was a large factor in our house hunt. Here's some factors I'd consider:

1. Walk out basement. No stairs eliminates most of the pain of moving. But pay attention to lot slope and obstacles, and have a winter plan.

2. Garage staircase to basement. A nice wide-open straight shot is nice!

3. Staircase width. 36" openings are nice. We crossed one really nice house off because the basement staircase was too narrow.

4. No turns on the stairs. You can do it, but it's harder.

5. Staircase landing size. Our old house had enough room to land a pinball on a dolly at the base of the stairs, but to rotate it we had to dead lift it and turn 90 degrees. Never again.

6. Ceiling height. Drop ceilings on 8ft ceilings can make toppers an issue.

7. Do you have breaker box room? We're finishing our basement right now and I'm doing 3 tables per circuit. But my box is only half-used so far.

8. Measure the room exactly to ensure you can fit the number of tables you want. So many houses we looked at had a room that could fit something like 4.9 tables in a room.

9. If you're ripping basement walls apart watch out for posts. They can throw a monkey wrench in your "this could be a nice open space" ideas.

10. Plan your plumbing, cause the drains will be in concrete, and somewhat painful to move.
Our pinball table breeding stock:
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Scared Stiff, Black Hole, Roy Clark, Monster Bash Remake, Future Spa, Big Deal, Top Score, Baywatch, Rick and Morty, TMNT, Sinbad, Guns N Roses
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Water, water, water. Do you have a sump pump? Will you have a sump pump? Why don't you have a sump pump? Are there any windows? Do those Windows leak? Are you connected to sewer? If you are connected to sewer, do you have a Sewer Backflow Preventer/Valve?

If you your plan is to finish the flooring, and finish the walls, etc..... I would wait at least 1 full year before doing any of that. You want to make it a full season of Wisconsin weather to see if you have any unforeseen leaks. Sometimes it is something simple (like a downspout that broke off, or landscaping that isn't quite right). Sometimes it is something crazier.

If the basement is already finished, you are most likely okay, but you never know.
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, NBA Fastbreak, Williams Phoenix
Eric_S

Post by Eric_S »

ralphwiggum wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:01 pm Water, water, water. Do you have a sump pump? Will you have a sump pump? Why don't you have a sump pump? Are there any windows? Do those Windows leak? Are you connected to sewer? If you are connected to sewer, do you have a Sewer Backflow Preventer/Valve?
This X1000. Water and flooding issues are the number one thing to be concerned about with a finished basement. If you have municipal water, I suggest getting a water powered back up sump pump (I used a basepump at my old house). Also, get a good dehumidifier; nothing worse than a musty basement.

Other consideration is a radon mitigation system. It seems that most houses, especially ranches with larger footprints, will test high for radon. If you are spending a considerable amount of time in your basement, be sure to get a radon test.

HVAC - namely heating. Most home HVAC systems weren't designed to also serve a large basement area; check with a local HVAC guy to get an idea if you will be OK.
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Eric_S wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:23 pm
ralphwiggum wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:01 pm Water, water, water. Do you have a sump pump? Will you have a sump pump? Why don't you have a sump pump? Are there any windows? Do those Windows leak? Are you connected to sewer? If you are connected to sewer, do you have a Sewer Backflow Preventer/Valve?
HVAC - namely heating. Most home HVAC systems weren't designed to also serve a large basement area; check with a local HVAC guy to get an idea if you will be OK.
Don't you mean mostly cooling? :lol: I thought the pinball machines were the heat source in the winter.
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, NBA Fastbreak, Williams Phoenix
Eric_S

Post by Eric_S »

I'm not sure if it is the pinball machines generating all the heat or all of the sweaty dudes hanging out and playing them.
Methos

Post by Methos »

Must have a walk out basement, or level floor access. Steps will ruin your back.

Keep a great ventilation system. Most of the chemicals used (Novus 2), are heavily carcinogenic.

All the other advice is spot on as well.
DeaconBlooze

Post by DeaconBlooze »

Good advice so far.

Walkout basement definitely isn't a bad thing, but I think if I could any entry method, it would be garage stairs to the basement. A straight shot down interior stairs works fine as well.

I had a pretty interesting method at my last house. I would use a dolly to wheel around my house and slide it through a window onto a highlift hydraulic cart. It worked well, but the most precarious thing was getting the dolly around to the back of the house, especially in the winter. I just wouldn't want to have to deal with snowblowing my lawn in the winter if I had to move a game.

I have an interior straight shot with a less than ideal landing now. An escalera is worth the investment if you have stairs to contend with. I can move machines by myself easily.
Current machines:

Wh20 :: PinBot :: Flash :: Firepower :: BSD :: SW Pro :: Pokerino :: TnA :: Bank Shot :: Stars :: Sky Jump :: Laser Cue
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

1. Build on high ground and have good drainage. This will take care of 99% of any possible water issues
2. 10ft ceilings
3. Interior garage to basement stairs that are solid and 36inch wide doors, straight shot is a must. Escalara will make stairs easy so no need for a walk out then
4. Wire in good lighting of multiple varieties (mood for playing, bright as shit for working on games)
5. Good full windows on ends of room with ability to use a fan to pull out pinball farts and body heat is a must. (no AC will ever be able to properly deal with a full room and games on for a whole night, but a good cross breeze and fan will do wonders)
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

I can't believe it took nine posts to get to proper ventilation of flatulence.

This group is slipping! :D

For work lighting, if you do painting you'll also want some fancy lights. I use Philips Hue lights at home that can change color temperature, and it's shocking how much artwork changes from 2800K to 5000K. Get some high CRI bulbs, and preferably daylight balanced. You don't want some crappy LEDs that put out anemic amounts of red when you're trying to paint match. If you don't paint, it's no biggie.

In any case, I highly recommend the Philips Hue bulbs in general. We had six 800 lumen cans in our pinball room with 11 tables at our old house, and with a button press I switched from "nuke-your-eyes daylight" to "looks-like-a-normal-room" to "warm candlelight" to "80's arcade colors". Be warned, you WILL end up with a house full of expensive bulbs; it's addictive.
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Scared Stiff, Black Hole, Roy Clark, Monster Bash Remake, Future Spa, Big Deal, Top Score, Baywatch, Rick and Morty, TMNT, Sinbad, Guns N Roses
zenbone

Post by zenbone »

many thanks one and all... lots of awesome info that i would have never thought of
also will give us some things to consider when looking at homes. i sure don't want to wrestle heavy machines on a stairs turn.
Going to have to seek out some online tutorials about the sump pumps and back valves.

Really appreciate all the input! hoping to make a great place to host some memorable pinball nights.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

zenbone wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:31 pm many thanks one and all... lots of awesome info that i would have never thought of
also will give us some things to consider when looking at homes. i sure don't want to wrestle heavy machines on a stairs turn.
Going to have to seek out some online tutorials about the sump pumps and back valves.

Really appreciate all the input! hoping to make a great place to host some memorable pinball nights.
how many games do you have?
plan to have?

take those numbers and increase by 30% is an important piece of advice I have :)

Also for aisles (assuming you are having more than 1 row of games), then 5ft is the minimum aisle space, 7ft is better, 10ft is amazing if you can make it happen.
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

Oh, as we're talking water... many parts of Wisconsin are in flood plains or very close to flood plains. When you're looking at neighborhoods check the FEMA flood plain maps and look at elevations. There's nothing better than driving neighborhoods in the Spring to see where water pools, but as you're coming from far away you can get a lot of intel on the likelihood of unsolvable basement water by learning about the water table.
Kirk H

Post by Kirk H »

Great posts to follow. I have considered this a lot. My current basement is not at all conducive for hosting a pinball party, let alone power enough pinball machines. I have 3 machines scattered on the main floor of my house due to lack of power in the basement and the pain in the butt it is to make the turn on the landing. I'm hoping to be house hunting for a newer place within the next year and this is a big factor for me. I will be following this post.
Stranger Things pro, Funhouse 2.0, Comet, Evil Knievel, City Slicker, Special Force, Lady Luck, Pharaoh, Sorcerer, Lunar Shot, Knock Out, Flight 2K, Mr. & Mrs. Pac-Man, Flipper Fair.