Our famous Godfather

Pinball Discussion, Location Games, Etc.
Baumann

Our famous Godfather

Post by Baumann »

Hey gang, don't know if anybody else already posted this, but a new book at the Sun Prairie library caught my eye, "Pinball Wizards" by Adam Rueben. Subtitled as "Jackpots, Drains, and the Cult of the Silver Ball". Mostly a book about the author's obsession with tournament pinball, but he also spends some time on the history of things. Not a lot of new info if you're an aficionado, but it is written in an entertaining style.

On page 167, there is a quote referring to Gary Stern as the "Godfather of Pinball", but there is also a reference note on the bottom listing everyone else a Google search found on the title, including our own "Wisconsin-based tournament organizer, Steve Tulley".

How cool is that? Congrats Mr. Tulley! It's official...
ChateenK

Re: Our famous Godfather

Post by ChateenK »

That is so cool! Thanks for posting. Tully will always be the true Godfather!
tullster

Post by tullster »

Yeah, too funny!! I'm "famous" again? The Godfather thing comes from a quote in a newspaper article almost 5 years ago! It's still online at...

https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/colu ... 126c3.html

That article started my 15 minutes of fame... It led to a bit on the local evening news, that led to an interview on Milwaukee's WTMJ am radio on a Tuesday morning drive time during a blizzard ( I heard from people I haven't heard from in years!). That interview led to another WTMJ radio thing on a Sunday Morning. I've got audio of those somewhere that I should find.

Then that fall, there was another radio interview on Wisconsin Public radio with Tim Enders and myself that got a lot of feedback... https://www.wpr.org/pinball-alive-wisconsin

Anyhow, I'm an old school Pinball Player that used to hit all the Pinball spots in the Madison area, and there were lots of places in the late 70's early 80's.... The Stone Hearth (AC/DC played there and they had a row of a half dozen EM's). The Space Port. Aladdins Castle (East & West Towne) Tilt arcade in Westgate. Tom Foolerys, Uncle Stanleys, The Pub, The Plaza, etc, etc. Heck, there was pinball everywhere! I was never one to just sit at the bar, and I was lousy at Pool & Bowling. I also played in a Pinball League that Modern Specialty ran for 3 years.

I've heard it said that the 2011 Waun-a-Pinball Tournament helped jump start the Pinball comeback in the Madison area. I'm pretty sure there would have been a comeback without it, but suppose it re-introduced a lot of people in the area to location Pinball. I know it introduced a lot of Pinball fans to each other! It's great to see Pinball making a comeback. There are so many great games, tournaments, leagues and locations lately and hopefully it continues!

Tully
Tim E

Post by Tim E »

Pretty cool Carl, I actually have that book! That radio interview was fun! I love so many of the locations you named. In particular, Tom Foolery’s was incredible, but I spent most of my time at Tilt and Alladin’s Castle. Shakey’s Pizza Parlor was another great pinball location. Long live The Godfather!!!
Ken

Post by Ken »

Tim E wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:13 am Long live The Godfather!!!
Amen!