First machine

Pinball Discussion, Location Games, Etc.
Otis

First machine

Post by Otis »

I have wanted a machine in my home for years. Finally fate and finances have allowed this to become a reality. My favorite machine has always been Funhouse that is what I wanted no other thoughts. I've seen some of the new machines Star Wars , Guardians etc.... Do I stick with the classic or go new. I am going to Milwaukee in April to get a look at everything. i used to live for pinball and would like to get there again.
Any advice on what to look for who to talk to and thoughts to old vs new would be greatly welcomed.
ralphwiggum

Re: First machine

Post by ralphwiggum »

I would only suggest an older machine like Funhouse if you aren't nervous about lifting the hood up when something goes wrong. The only thing guaranteed in pinball is that something is going to go wrong with your machine. Usually it is minor, but if you are terrified at the though of working on these, go with a new machine all the way.

MGC is exactly the place you want to be where you can try out a lot of games, and meet a lot of the local people that own them. Welcome back to the hobby, there is nothing else quite like it.
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, NBA Fastbreak, Williams Phoenix
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

The only certainty in pinball is that the table is going to break and you’re going to have to fix it. :)

If you sprung for a brand new table, you’ll likely have years of play with minor issues, like a bulb going out, or a pop or sling you have to adjust for sensitivity. But the electronics and mechanicals will generally be good and solid, and the playfield will obviously be fantastic.

If you buy something in your Funhouse vintage (90’s DMDs) the issues get more serious. Optos start to flake out, ramps might be/become cracked, the playfield is probably a bit worn, especially if it’s pre-auto clear, you’ll likely have a mech or few to rebuild at some point, and you may even have a board problem that could take the table out of commission.

If you buy something solid state from the 70’s or 80’s, you’re pretty likely to have a board issue pop up at any time, the mechs are likely to be weak if not maintained, sometimes metal things just...snap, the playfield will likely be pretty worn, and there’s likely to be dirt in places you’ll never get out. :)

If you buy an EM, you’re going to spend time tinkering with it, like an old muscle car.

Sooooo... how much time do you want to spend maintaining your table? If the answer is “zero!”, new is the only reasonable choice. If you’re not afraid of simple soldering and doing continuity checks with a meter, and don’t mind some cleaning and waxing, 90’s tables are generally cheaper and many are at least as fun as the new stuff. I wouldn’t go older than that for your first table, cause it’s really no fun when your only table just had a weird board failure that takes you months to fix.

Personally, if you can fund it I’d recommend a near-new Stern (like the Iron Man VE that just sold). It’ll likely be solid, and it’s already depreciated. You’ll get a solid table that you can play instead of fix, and when you’re done with it you won’t likely lose much/any money. Make table #2 a 90’s table, then table #3 an old one so you can learn how to fix everything type of failure in pinball. :)
Our pinball table breeding stock:
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Scared Stiff, Black Hole, Roy Clark, Monster Bash Remake, Future Spa, Big Deal, Top Score, Baywatch, Rick and Morty, TMNT, Sinbad, Guns N Roses
KingPin Games

Post by KingPin Games »

Nicely said Chris. That is almost exactly what I tell new customers when they call.

It really comes down to how much of a tinkerer you are. If you enjoy learning how things work then grab an older game and dive in. If you would rather just play a bunch then look into something relatively newer.

Make sure to check out mgc in april. Lots of games from EM (electromechanical) to the latest from Jersey Jack (Pirates of the Caribbean, I'll have at least 2 of them there).

Also, join in with some of the monthly events that are put on.
Christopher
KingPin Games
www.KingPinGames.net
Sales@KingPinGames.net
608-393-2299 cell

Authorized JJP, Stern, Spooky, Chicago Gaming, American Pinball, Raw Thrills, Namco, Incredible Technology, Pipeline Games
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

Yeah, all tables require tinkering of some sort, but it's much easier to get into the hobby if your tinkering is "adjust that scoop so it doesn't go straight down the middle" instead of "your CPU board is reseting due to an inconsistent voltage sag". :)
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Scared Stiff, Black Hole, Roy Clark, Monster Bash Remake, Future Spa, Big Deal, Top Score, Baywatch, Rick and Morty, TMNT, Sinbad, Guns N Roses
DeaconBlooze

Post by DeaconBlooze »

There's definitely a few different ways to approach it. If you like to tinker don't shy away from an older game in working condition. My first game was a Flash that was working but needed some help to play correctly. I'm glad I did that, it got me pretty comfortable with how things worked. It also put me in a bit more of the "maintain and play" camp of pinball people, as opposed to the "polish with a diaper and mod" group (no offense, though I don't think there are many of those in this particular forum).

All of my new machines have been very reliable. I'm actually quite impressed with how solid they all are now that I'm reflecting on it. My free time is minimal enough that I really appreciate that at least part of my collection is always working. Many of my earlier era machines need various fixes,the exception to that is my rock-steady PinBot.

Having said that.. there are some machines that once you get going are really going to be reliable. System 11s have been an example in my experience, as have single player EM machines (as long as you play them often).

My last piece of advice is unless you're going new, don't get too caught up on a single title. I think DaveM said it best - "if you're waiting for a particular game, you're either going to wait a long time, or overpay".
Current machines:

Wh20 :: PinBot :: Flash :: Firepower :: BSD :: SW Pro :: Pokerino :: TnA :: Bank Shot :: Stars :: Sky Jump :: Laser Cue
Otis

Post by Otis »

Is it best to go through a vendor or private purchase. Who are the reputable vendors in the area?
Eric_S

Post by Eric_S »

I think most of us here go with private party sales.

For vendors, Kingpin and Paul Reno would be the vendors I recommend for a first time pinball owner.

https://www.kingpingames.net/
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Eric_S wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:02 am I think most of us here go with private party sales.

For vendors, Kingpin and Paul Reno would be the vendors I recommend for a first time pinball owner.

https://www.kingpingames.net/
KingPin is FOR SURE the BEST retailer/wholesaler in the area!

best prices and by far the best service in my experience. Establish a relationship with a retailer and it will help you out when you are looking for game #2, 3, 4, etc...
KingPin Games

Post by KingPin Games »

Thanks for the recommendations guys.
Christopher
KingPin Games
www.KingPinGames.net
Sales@KingPinGames.net
608-393-2299 cell

Authorized JJP, Stern, Spooky, Chicago Gaming, American Pinball, Raw Thrills, Namco, Incredible Technology, Pipeline Games
Otis

Post by Otis »

I think I am down to 2 machines. Funhouse or Star Wars Premium. There are so many machines out there I have to narrow the field or I will never pick one up.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Otis wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:25 pm I think I am down to 2 machines. Funhouse or Star Wars Premium. There are so many machines out there I have to narrow the field or I will never pick one up.
If you decide on starwars, go pro. The premium is not worth the extra and the pro has the better flow, which is what that game is about.

Good luck in the final decision.

I personally would buy funhouse. That way you have money left over for the second game.
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

Consider this: For the price increase of a Star Wars Premium over a Star Wars Pro, you can buy a second table.

I wouldn't put all your money into one table right off the bat. Pinball at home is much more fun if you have more than one table.
Otis

Post by Otis »

Thank you for all the advice. I will start my search for Funhouse sticking to my original plan. Thanks all I am glad I found this site. Who knows I might find a league in the fall and really get back into it.
QuyN

Post by QuyN »

Where are you located? Do you play route games at all?