Help finding part please

Tech Help, Restorations, Refurbishments, "Shop Out" Photos, Notes
Ken

Re: Help finding part please

Post by Ken »

I'm guessing if he used a silly scope he's probably handy with meter. Never hurts to ask though.
RustyLizard

Post by RustyLizard »

I am thinking about screwing up one of my WPC games just so you guys can help me fix it.
administrator
Site Admin

Post by administrator »

RustyLizard wrote:I am thinking about screwing up one of my WPC games just so you guys can help me fix it.

LOL, nice.... we could turn it into a "stump the pinball guys" game....
CftBL

Post by CftBL »

Thank you everyone!!! I can't do anything about this tonight because it is a really long day at work today. Tomorrow will hopefully be shorter and I am hoping to tear back I to it tomorrow night. Thanks again guys and I will follow up with a better post tomorrow (when I'm not typing on this silly phone screen)
Creature from the Black Lagoon, Twilight Zone, Star Wars Premium, Hobbit
CftBL

Post by CftBL »

Thank you guys!
The transformer issue was 100% user error. I got the wires out of sequence when I put the new MOLEX on.
I just rewired the MOLEX and now I am reading 8.6V across everything; high but I don't think it's out of the norm for an unloaded circuit (?)

Hilton: I will be at Pooley's as long as i don't have to travel for work and I already warned my wife I would be at MGC. If i'm not at Pooley's, I will try to track you guys down and introduce myself.

Now I am off to read up some more on reset issues.

Thanks!
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Awesome man! Always start with the easy stuff and retrace your steps, glad to hear it was simple. Your voltage is perfectly normal. Start with the easy stuff on the resets.... Also, tell us more about the resets.... Do they occur randomly, after the game is warmed up, during flipper presses, etc...
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, NBA Fastbreak, Williams Phoenix
CftBL

Post by CftBL »

It it takes anywhere from 5-10 minutes for it to start happening, once I plug in J115. It doesn't seem to matter if I've been playing the game for awhile then plugging in the circuit or plugging it in and turning on after sitting overnight.
Rottendog was kind enough to supply a board schematic with the new board. I see that J115 provides power for the triacs to J119 (Coin door) J120 (play field GI) and J121 (Insert GI (didn't realize the back glass was called and insert)).
When I unplug the J119, 120, & J121 and then I plug J115 back in, the resetting still occurs. So this should rule out anything past these connection points of the board.

Not sure if it makes a difference, but its a soft reset, not a wipe the memory, restore to factory default reset.

Not sure what else to say about it
u2sean

Post by u2sean »

Hey Mike,

Where in Madison are you located? I'm on the west side and if you'd like another set of eyes on this let me know - you can drop me a PM. It still sounds like the voltage is dipping enough to cause the watchdog reset. Anything new plugged into your house circuit lately (like a dehumidifier) that'd cause additional draw on that line? Another connector inline somewhere or cold solder joints. As someone else mentioned, check out Pinwiki for everything to check first. http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?t ... ame_resets

In the meantime, I just got a WPC reset board in from Rob Kahr (details here http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ ... -era-games). If you'd like me to stop by we can pop this in quick and see if it takes care of your problem (until you take the time to find the real culprit, that is!)

Welcome!

- Sean
Tron, Shadow, Shrek, STTNG, TZ, Dimension, TNA, AFMr, Neptune, R&M, Godzilla Prem, King of Diamonds, S&S, Dialed In! LE, Bank Shot, IJ, Scooby CE, ST Prem
Eric_S

Post by Eric_S »

Sounds like it might be a failing thermistor. See more info here: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?t ... Thermistor

Eric
lg40

Post by lg40 »

This is really going to sound crazy but, a bad incandescent bulb can cause a voltage to drop (like a short) really bad and not blow a fuse. Which drains rest of voltage to your MPU and cause it to restart. Pull your bulbs out for G.I. and put them back in one by one. It takes a long time but this might be the problem. My T2 had some thing weird stuff like this. It was a bad bulb. Its worth a try. I assume your using incandescent bulbs. That's my 2 cents.
Johnny Mnemonic, Bride of Pinbot 2.0, The Shadow, Police Force, World Cup Soccer, White Water, Judge Dredd, The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends
CftBL

Post by CftBL »

Eric,

I have to call it a night, but I will check the thermistor next. I was almost to that point in the pinwiki list.
I'll let you all know what I find.

lg40,
I am thinking that if I pull all the MOLEX connectors for the GI circuits off the board and it still resets that would eliminate this possibility, correct? Just thinking if there's a way to quickly test the theory...
Thanks!

Mike
u2sean

Post by u2sean »

CftBL wrote:I am thinking that if I pull all the MOLEX connectors for the GI circuits off the board and it still resets that would eliminate this possibility, correct?
Pull the connectors for ALL lamps off if you can - GI and feature lamps. If it still resents then yes that would eliminate that theory. If it worked after that, plug in just the feature or GI lamps and see if it happens. If so then you'd know where to look next. Keep us posted!
Tron, Shadow, Shrek, STTNG, TZ, Dimension, TNA, AFMr, Neptune, R&M, Godzilla Prem, King of Diamonds, S&S, Dialed In! LE, Bank Shot, IJ, Scooby CE, ST Prem
lg40

Post by lg40 »

That is correct Mike.
Johnny Mnemonic, Bride of Pinbot 2.0, The Shadow, Police Force, World Cup Soccer, White Water, Judge Dredd, The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends
CftBL

Post by CftBL »

Ok, SO I've now went through the PinWiki list three times just to make sure I didn't miss something.
It is not the thermistor. It's behaving correctly. I also jumpered across it and the problem still present itself after about 10 minutes

I pulled every illumination output circuit I could identify that would allow me to still play the machine. The resets still kept coming.

I am hoping to pick a few brains tomorrow at Pooley's (What time are you guys starting by the way?) Then i will be posting more on what I find and troubleshoot through.

Thanks again guys!

Mike
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

only thing I can help with...

Pooley's starts at 6:30. Come early to warm up.