LW3 home, pictures attached diagnostic underway

Tech Help, Restorations, Refurbishments, "Shop Out" Photos, Notes
max242

LW3 home, pictures attached diagnostic underway

Post by max242 »

Hey all, As I posted previously I am looking to buy a project game. I found a person locally who has a Lethal Weapon 3 not working, they may want to sell. They are not even sure if they want to sell or what to ask. Playingfield, back glass, cabinet are good. Wiring is not chopped up. It turns on, but does not boot. Part of playing field lights illuminate, nothing on the display. I carefully wiggled all connections, nothing. I see the market information on Pinside for a working game but have no clue what to offer as I don't know what common problems or repairs would cost. I have experience with EM's but not Solid State yet. Does anyone have any advice, opinions or ideas? Am I biting off a mess? Thanks in advance for the help, it is appreciated...Max
Last edited by max242 on Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Current Collection Abra Ca Dabra, Space Odyssey, Lethal Weapon 3
ralphwiggum

Re: Lethal Weapon 3 non working value to buy

Post by ralphwiggum »

My guess would be 1000-1200.... Plastics are hard to find, the far left plastic over the kickout hole is always broken, as is the one above the center drops.

Power supplies are known to get toasty on this era game.

It was my first game in 1999. I bought a basketcase sight unseen for $400. After getting it going, I was hooked.

Its a really fun game. If you pick it up, dont hesitate to ask for help, a lot of us can get through this game without issue. Data East games are pretty straight forward.

Good luck!
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, NBA Fastbreak, Williams Phoenix
johnstewart

Post by johnstewart »

I have a LW3 (great value! It was my first pin and I thought I'd upgrade and sell, but I still play it too much, for the amount I could get for it).

I'm guessing one in good shape is worth around $2k.

I'll say I did replace the power supply, which fixed some issues I'd been having. Start by checking voltages.

I don't know what it's worth in a non-working state. I don't see what power supply I put in offhand, but it was some 3rd party one (and I don't think the Rottendog). I can dig it up if you want, I think it was in the $100 range.
max242

Post by max242 »

Thank you for the responses. I have an idea now. They will have to decide if they want to sell it or not. Again - thanks to all for the help. - Max
BigDaddyBanjo

Post by BigDaddyBanjo »

I agree, LW3 is a very underrated game. Great fun for a pretty cheap DMD pin. I have owned it twice and have fixed several others. Simple ruleset, but fun to play and I love the "Oooh shhh..." call out! Pretty easy to fix the electronics on that era of DE games, they basically ripped off the old Williams Sys11 boards and added a few more components. RW is right though, impossible to find plastics if they are broken, so buy it for the fun not as a show piece.
Home Collection : FT, JD,Paragon, POTO, GB, WCS, TWD, WPT, SMVE, BK, HS, Gorgar and Bank Shot.
max242

Post by max242 »

My lead on the LW 3 didn't pan out. They decided to keep it. Back to looking so let me know if anyone has a project they're looking to part with. Thanks everyone - Max
max242

Re: UPDATE Purchased - Lethal Weapon 3 non working value to buy

Post by max242 »

All, Received a call back, they now want to sell. Will be picking it up next week. Then the fun begins being it is my 1st SS game. Thanks in advance for the help as I may be reaching out for advice. Also how do I edit my main post title? Wanted to update that. Max
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Congrats, great first game! To change subject, just go to your first post, edit it, and change the title there.
Current Collection
Chris K

Re: Update Purchased - Lethal Weapon 3 non working value to buy

Post by Chris K »

Congrats!

I still miss my LW3. It’s a fun game. Love the orbits!
Our pinball table breeding stock:
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Scared Stiff, Black Hole, Roy Clark, Monster Bash Remake, Future Spa, Big Deal, Top Score, Baywatch, Rick and Morty, TMNT, Sinbad, Guns N Roses
johnstewart

Post by johnstewart »

Congrats! My first pin, too.

If you end up with any spare parts in the deal, give a shout. I still need to fix Chris K's old LW3 and the bracket is unobtanium at the moment. =)
max242

Post by max242 »

Will do Johnstewart, I’m in Elkhorn and know a good welder who owes me a favor. If you want to try welding it. If you want to mail it to me. I’ll see what he says. I would send it back to you regardless. Max
johnstewart

Post by johnstewart »

Thanks, Max! I may take you up on that.
max242

Post by max242 »

OK, I have the LW3 home, here are pictures of the condition. No display, checked the 5 volt plug on the display board no voltage. Checked fuses and I found the .5 amp slow blo fuse popped for the upper left board popped. I'll source one and see. Here are pictures of it. Very happy with condition. Playingfield very dirty. Mel G looks like he worked in a mine. lol.
Attachments
under playing field.JPG
playingfield.JPG
included.JPG
IMG_2527.JPG
display board.JPG
cabinet.JPG
boards.JPG
back glass.JPG
johnstewart

Re: Update Purchased - LW3 home, pictures attached

Post by johnstewart »

It's been a while, and my memory is hazy... but I recall having a slow-blo fuse going out on me at some point. And I am certain I replaced the power supply at some point as a result of low voltages (which were causing DMD garbling and such, as I recall).
ralphwiggum

Re: Update Purchased - LW3 home, pictures attached

Post by ralphwiggum »

Nice pickup. The two plastics that are always broken are not broken on your machine. It looks like a nice original survivor. Even your power supply connectors are in good shape, and those are almost always toasty.
Current Collection