DMD for Data East pin?

Tech Help, Restorations, Refurbishments, "Shop Out" Photos, Notes
ralphwiggum

Re: DMD for Data East pin?

Post by ralphwiggum »

The rottendog shouldnt give you any issues. Most of the rottendog stuff that had some slight compatabilty issues were their Williams driverboards.

i have bought a few DE games with rottendog boards and they have been fine.

i wouldnt be surprised if the rottendog board fixes your original issue as well.
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, NBA Fastbreak, Williams Phoenix
johnstewart

Post by johnstewart »

johnstewart wrote: The reason I think Rottendog is that the XPin is on backorder, alas:
http://xpinpinball.com/product/xp-de5047/
I emailed them an supposedly new ones coming in by the end of the week, so placed an order. Fingers crossed!
johnstewart

Post by johnstewart »

With high hopes, I installed the new X-Pin power supply tonight. Looks like it immediately blew the high voltage fuse, F3. Which of course I don't have on hand (same type as was blowing on the old power supply, interesting). I see after removing it that there's been a bit of a hack job on this old power supply board.

Going to get fuses tomorrow, then test the new PS without the DMD connected at all.

So on this X-Pin power supply... it's got test pads on the board for testing the various voltages (nice!), but I don't see a ground test pad indicated? Is it supposed to be obvious where I put my other multimeter lead?
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

You can use the ground straps in the backbox for ground. Did you mention before that you tried hooking up high voltage while the machine was on? If so, you could have toasted that dmd too. Is it a Cherry display, or a Babcock? If it is a Cherry display, those are a little more finicky that Babcocks.
Current Collection
johnstewart

Post by johnstewart »

ralphwiggum wrote:You can use the ground straps in the backbox for ground. Did you mention before that you tried hooking up high voltage while the machine was on? If so, you could have toasted that dmd too. Is it a Cherry display, or a Babcock? If it is a Cherry display, those are a little more finicky that Babcocks.
Yeah, I was pulling the connector from the power supply board while (dumbly) it was all powered on. Something arced between pins.

How do I ID Cherry vs. Babcock? I read "<something> electronics" but the Williams sticker covers the company name. =)

So it looks like I ought to be able to get a ColorDMD, LED version, mounted up in this thing pretty easily ($400 later of course). No color version yet, but it'd work in monochrome until/if they colorize LW3. From what I read in the last hour or so... this is a rabbit hole I have not yet been down! =)

thanks
Attachments
f23l9n5j.png
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Its going to be under that sticker. looks like a williams display was put in there, so most likely babcock.

ColorDMDs are amazing, but damn, they are expensive. You should be able to find a reliable dmd for around the 100 mark or lower.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/43305

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/43604

http://m.ebay.com/itm/WORKING-Sega-Ster ... Ciid%253A7
Current Collection
johnstewart

Post by johnstewart »

A friend has a Bally/Williams DMD, I might use for testing this thing. Are those compatible? I *think* so?
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

yep.....
Current Collection
johnstewart

Post by johnstewart »

It lives!

I don't quite have an explanation for why I blew a fuse last night. When I connected it all up tonight (spare DMD in hand), it just worked.

The DMD CPU boot issue is gone, too. I suspect it was power all along for that issue as well. It was 5.12V as I recall with the new X-Pin board, and that made the difference (I think).

Thanks so much for your help, and your moral support, Ralph! You kept me out of the deep end. =)
Attachments
xg_amzpr.png
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Congrats, feels good to get it going again, doesn't it? :D

I suspect your dmd logic issue was caused by the low 5 volts. Anything under 5 gets finicky on these boardsets.

If you want your other supply rebuilt and can leave it with me for a few months(yes months)..... I can get that one back up and running for the cost of parts for you....

welcome to the hobby!
Current Collection
johnstewart

Post by johnstewart »

ralphwiggum wrote:Congrats, feels good to get it going again, doesn't it? :D

I suspect your dmd logic issue was caused by the low 5 volts. Anything under 5 gets finicky on these boardsets.

If you want your other supply rebuilt and can leave it with me for a few months(yes months)..... I can get that one back up and running for the cost of parts for you....

welcome to the hobby!
Thanks again! I feel like I'm back in business. I won't toss the old power supply, certainly, but I don't want to put you out for no need. It's working. =)

Now if I could just get my divorce finalized I could buy me another pinball machine. I feel like I need a 3rd. =)
johnstewart

Post by johnstewart »

ralphwiggum ralphwiggum ralphwiggum !

(this works like Beetlejuice, right?) =)

So after the power supply replacement, I noticed that the "Ball N" and "Free Play" section of the DMD was garbled, intermittently. I finally got around to re-seating all the cables (no change) and taking a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1320R3r3S8

So what seems to happen is that immediately after power-on, it all works fine. But after leaving it running for at least a few minutes, then starting a game, the text in the lower right is garbled. I've never seen it, once running, go back to normal. A power cycle seems to fix it.

My guess... some flakey RAM on the DMD CPU board somewhere... doesn't like the slightly higher +5V it has now after replacing the power supply board.

Sound like a reasonable diagnosis? I'm thinking I should try and replace the RAM on there?

thanks again!
johnstewart

Post by johnstewart »

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic ... corruption

It sounds like this is fix-able with an updated ROMset!
johnstewart

Post by johnstewart »

johnstewart wrote:https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic ... corruption

It sounds like this is fix-able with an updated ROMset!
FYI the updated ROMs fixed the issue. Sadly, also, it went from "MULTI-BALL" to "TRI-BALL". Does not have the same ring to it. =)