WI SCS 2015 discussion

Detailed Events Forum. All Calendar Entries point back to events in this forum.
Hilton

Re: WI SCS 2015 discussion

Post by Hilton »

FINAL Games List:

All the games currently at Schwoegler's are intended to be used for SCS. (Strikes and Spares will not be used as it is a novelty game)

IronMan (currently at AltBrew) is planned to be brought over for SCS.

Additionally, BK2K is a possible addition which will be heading to Schwoegler's soon. Final use will depend how it is playing and ball times.

PLEASE NOTE > All games will be 'PAPAized' (made tournament tough) once the games are moved into the banquet room. Things like opened outlanes, tight tilts, moved posts are standard methods to make games more difficult for play.

PLEASE NOTE >Any other game currently on route in Madison is fair game for possible use in the event that replacements are needed at Schwoegler's prior to the event. NO PRIVATE GAMES WILL BE BROUGHT IN FOR THE EVENT!

Spiderman vault is on order and if it arrives and is route ready prior to the event it wil be used.

GOTprem will be onsite and is a possible backup if needed.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Starting for 2016, the IFPA requires that all places be played out. In other words there is a required consilation/losers bracket.

We will use the following format for SCS rounds of play:

Winners bracket = heads up matches as outlined below. First to 4 wins each round. Same format through entire winners bracket.

Losers bracket = no reseeding.

Round 2 the 8 losers from round 1 play heads up; first to 2 wins.

Round 3 those with a record of W, L after Round 2 will play 3, 4-player games (4,3,2,1 points) to determine 5-8 place.

Round 3 those with a record of L, W after Round 2 will play 3, 4-player games (4,3,2,1 points) to determine 9-12 place.

Round 3 those with a record of L, L afterRound 2 will play 3, 4-player games (4,3,2,1 points) to determine 13-16 place.

Round 4 those with a record of W, W, L will play heads up; first to 2 wins.

For heads up matches, higher seed select game or position on game 1. Following game 1, the loser selects game or position. Please note that winners bracket gets preference of game selection at all times.

For 4-player matches, for the first game the highest seed gets choice of game or position, and then continue down the list based on original seed. The next game, loser from the previous game gets choice and go back up the list.
TomGWI

Post by TomGWI »

Hilton wrote:Starting for 2016, the IFPA requires that all places be played out. In other words there is a required consilation/losers bracket.

We will use the following format for SCS rounds of play:

Winners bracket = heads up matches as outlined below. First to 4 wins each round. Same format through entire winners bracket.

Losers bracket = no reseeding.

Round 2 the 8 losers from round 1 play heads up; first to 2 wins.

Round 3 those with a record of W, L after Round 2 will play 3, 4-player games (4,3,2,1 points) to determine 5-8 place.

Round 3 those with a record of L, W after Round 2 will play 3, 4-player games (4,3,2,1 points) to determine 9-12 place.

Round 3 those with a record of L, L afterRound 2 will play 3, 4-player games (4,3,2,1 points) to determine 13-16 place.

Round 4 those with a record of W, W, L will play heads up; first to 2 wins.

For heads up matches, higher seed select game or position on game 1. Following game 1, the loser selects game or position. Please note that winners bracket gets preference of game selection at all times.

For 4-player matches, for the first game the highest seed gets choice of game or position, and then continue down the list based on original seed. The next game, loser from the previous game gets choice and go back up the list.
Thanks Hilton. Looks good.
Tom.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

I will send an email out to players once I get some free time at home.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

worth note for throughness

In the case that anyone leaves or does not want to play after round 1, then they automatically take the lowest available position at that point.
no reseeding and whomever they were slated to play just gets a bye.
Ken

Post by Ken »

But didn't Josh Sharpe say in the Pinside SCS thread that he couldn't force first round losers to stick around, and then ,that he couldn't penalize them for not sticking around? Similar to last year?

And the games list doesn't seem "FINAL". If there are still variables. Final, would be a list of playable games, and guaranteed backups.

Looking forward to my third SCS!! 8-)
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Josh said he cant force people to stick around and play and that so long as it is in writing in advance then all is good for the losers bracket.

He has ok'd the info I provided and that is what we are going with. I dont think anyone is planning to bail out as almost everyone in the SCS is also signed up for the BoAtR. If someone opts to leave after the event is started then they are not penalized, they will just be forfeiting future rounds. This will result in them taking the lowest remaining position at that point. Everything is in writing and sent in advance to all players.

The list is as "FINAL" as it is going to get till the day of the event. People want to know all possible options and with a desire to have at least 12 games available to play we will need to bring in backups IF something goes down.

Sorry, but cant get more final than this. No different than previous years where we were all given a list of expected games and possible backups, or like in year 1 where we were given a big list only to realize 40% of them were not usable.
DeaconBlooze

Post by DeaconBlooze »

A friend of mine just noticed this article:

http://www.channel3000.com/news/madison ... s/37844462

Good luck to everyone competing! I'd love to make it to help out but my nephew is turning 2, or getting married, baptized, something...I don't know, but it's one of those.
Current machines:

Wh20 :: PinBot :: Flash :: Firepower :: BSD :: SW Pro :: Pokerino :: TnA :: Bank Shot :: Stars :: Sky Jump :: Laser Cue
Ken

Post by Ken »

DeaconBlooze wrote:A friend of mine just noticed this article:

Good luck to everyone competing! I'd love to make it to help out but my nephew is turning 2, or getting married, baptized, something...I don't know, but it's one of those.

From the first paragraph:

Madison Pinball LLC will host the 3rd annual Wisconsin State Pinball Championship Series on Saturday, Feb. 13, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., according to a release.

I'd say that release was optimistic ;)

Miss you Dave! Hope to hang with you at MGC! Or anywhere!!
TomGWI

Post by TomGWI »

DeaconBlooze wrote:A friend of mine just noticed this article:

Thanks Dave for posting the link.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Ken wrote:
From the first paragraph:

Madison Pinball LLC will host the 3rd annual Wisconsin State Pinball Championship Series on Saturday, Feb. 13, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., according to a release.

I'd say that release was optimistic ;)

I am hoping that is realistic rather than optimistic. If people all opt to wait for the same games then it will be more like 2am, lol. If people are a bit more open in their selections then 5hrs is realistic. In general terms a 4 player group can play through 3 games in ~1hr with good players.

I am not really sure how long the Round 1 and Round 2 are going to last, but with 12 games and 8 heads up matches my hope is that most of them are concurrently played games. Some matches will only take 4 games and some will take 7. Games being 'papaized' will also make them go a bit faster than they are now.

Either way, after 3 rounds there are only 4 people left playing. The last round may take a while, but at least we will have the BoAtR to occupy the interest of those no longer in the SCS. I am hopeful that the entire day is done by 10pm at latest??? Only time will tell :)
TomGWI

Post by TomGWI »

I want to say we got done last year about 4pm with a 10am start.
I think the first year at TT's we started at noon and finals got done around 8pm.

Can't blame anyone for waiting for a game they want to play.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

TomGWI wrote:I want to say we got done last year about 4pm with a 10am start.
I think the first year at TT's we started at noon and finals got done around 8pm.

Yeah if you got done at 4pm, then I am assuming that will be similar duration for this year and we are starting an hour earlier.

I wont 'blame' anyone for playing within the rules of waiting on what ever they want. My hope is that there are 12 games and enough open selections that we dont get 8 groups opting to wait on the same game for every game for the entire event, lol. We also have a decent variety of games and variety of player game preferences so that will likely help in that area.

The long playing games will be getting 'papaized the most in order to help with ball times. For example, SouthPark will be put on hard settings and outlanes pulled/ tilt tightened. That game can get LOTR level of long unless made harder.
TomGWI

Post by TomGWI »

Hilton wrote:
TomGWI wrote:I want to say we got done last year about 4pm with a 10am start.

Yeah if you got done at 4pm, then I am assuming that will be similar duration for this year and we are starting an hour earlier.

I wont 'blame' anyone for playing within the rules of waiting on what ever they want. My hope is that there are 12 games and enough open selections that we dont get 8 groups opting to wait on the same game for every game for the entire event, lol. We also have a decent variety of games and variety of player game preferences so that will likely help in that area.

The long playing games will be getting 'papaized the most in order to help with ball times. For example, SouthPark will be put on hard settings and outlanes pulled/ tilt tightened. That game can get LOTR level of long unless made harder.
It would be good to do what papa/PinBurgh does and put a sticky note on the back glass for what the software changes are. I'm going to start doing that for my tourneys.

I don't think you'll have a huge problem with waiting but there will be some and you just have to accept it at least for the winners bracket.
The smaller the selection, the longer the wait will be.
There were only 8-9 games at Nationals. For whoever ends up going this year, expect a wait.
I think it's always good to have 3-4 games in mind of what you want to play.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Yup, that is the plan for any software modifications.

After games get set up on Thursday I am going through each of them and making adjustments to software and hardware. I plan to put a sticky on each with the changes that are made to settings.