WI SCS 2015 discussion

Detailed Events Forum. All Calendar Entries point back to events in this forum.
Hilton

WI SCS 2015 discussion

Post by Hilton »

While it is only August the IFPA wants state reps to start planning for the 2015-16 SCS (to be held on Saturday, February 13, 2016). I am the WI SCS rep for this year (it currently alternates between MKE, Appleton, and MSN if all continues as planned). There are a few potential options for host location and I wanted to solicit feedback.

Would those that hope to play/watch the SCS prefer it be at a public location or private location? I can make no promises at this point but there are options.
Last edited by Hilton on Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken

Re: WI SCS 2015 question

Post by Ken »

The party room at Schwoeglers seemed to work well for the KISS release party. Semi private but with lots of room.
KingPin Games

Post by KingPin Games »

I would prefer public over private so I don't feel like I'm stressing the home owner(s) out on being in there house all day (multiple meals, bathroom visits, boredom between rounds, etc).

Houses are great, but as a home owner and a pinball host I am sometimes stressed out by having new people in my house too. It's not that I don't trust people.... well I guess that is the biggest reason. That is until I get to know you at least.
Christopher
KingPin Games
www.KingPinGames.net
Sales@KingPinGames.net
608-393-2299 cell

Authorized JJP, Stern, Spooky, Chicago Gaming, American Pinball, Raw Thrills, Namco, Incredible Technology, Pipeline Games
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

If I were to host at my house I am not feeding you nor are restroom breaks allowed :)

I see pros/cons to both options.

IMO
Biggest pros to private collection is the ability to play on some nice games and some stuff you dont see on route (like Tom's house last year).
Biggest pros to public collection (schwoegler"s possibly, but not sure if this can happen) is that all SCS players have equal shot to learn games and practice them in advance.
Ken wrote:The party room at Schwoeglers seemed to work well for the KISS release party. Semi private but with lots of room.
Probably not moving all the games to the back room for SCS if at Schwoeglers. If at Schwoegs the games would be played were they sit.
u2sean

Post by u2sean »

For those that simply want to come and watch, a public location is certainly the best. Having it at a private residence and just allowing people to wander in would just be weird. That being said, if it's at a public location there certainly needs to be a designated machine area that clearly tells the non-pinball playing public that certain games are currently not available to play.

Being able to practice beforehand and learn rules, bathrooms, food, parking and lots of space make a public location more ideal.
Tron, Shadow, Shrek, STTNG, TZ, Dimension, TNA, AFMr, Neptune, R&M, Godzilla Prem, King of Diamonds, S&S, Dialed In! LE, Bank Shot, IJ, Scooby CE, ST Prem
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

I think a public location like Schwoegler's would be ideal vs. having it in someone's home. If Schwoegler's ends up being the chosen location and we aren't able to use the back room I'd try to make sure that there aren't any bowling tournaments or other events going on that day as it could make it difficult with all the extra traffic in that area.
Current Collection: Rick and Morty, JPPrem, TWDLE, SW Pro, Stranger Things Pro, Godzilla Pro, Pulp Fiction, GNRLE, Doctor Who, Eight Ball, Harlem, Stars, Shadow.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

OK, sounds like all are most interested in a public location (based on here and the thread i started on MKE FB group).

I will look into the logistics of this along with possible bowling conflicts.

I would need serious help with moving games IF the back room is even an option. It was quite the effort for the Kiss launch and while it is a nice space we are talking about 16 players only for SCS which is far less than even our standard monthly tourneys at Schwoegs.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

In case you had not seen. 2015 WI SCS will be held at Schwoeglers on Feb 13th, 2016.
http://www.ifpapinball.com/calendar/view.php?id=11100

I asked and this was the majority winner (over a private collection) for location choice this year.
Should be a fun time. The main Pro from players seems to be that it means no home field advantage since all games are open and available for public play/practice. The potential con is that it is a public location which means players should also be prepared to play with typical public distractions. Good luck to all those still in the hunt for a top 16 slot this year and good luck in advance for all those that make it.

At this time, plan on playing on the concourse and the bar. In other words, games will stay in their normal location in order to provide a consistent practice and play/competition environment. There will be distractions given the public nature, but that is how it works.

We are trying to coordinate to minimize any distractions but please prepare yourself mentally to play in the typical environment provided on any given Saturday at Schwoegler's.
TomGWI

Post by TomGWI »

Hilton wrote:In case you had not seen. 2015 WI SCS will be held at Schwoeglers on Feb 13th, 2016.
http://www.ifpapinball.com/calendar/view.php?id=11100

I asked and this was the majority winner (over a private collection) for location choice this year.
Should be a fun time. The main Pro from players seems to be that it means no home field advantage since all games are open and available for public play/practice. The potential con is that it is a public location which means players should also be prepared to play with typical public distractions. Good luck to all those still in the hunt for a top 16 slot this year and good luck in advance for all those that make it.

At this time, plan on playing on the concourse and the bar. In other words, games will stay in their normal location in order to provide a consistent practice and play/competition environment. There will be distractions given the public nature, but that is how it works.

We are trying to coordinate to minimize any distractions but please prepare yourself mentally to play in the typical environment provided on any given Saturday at Schwoegler's.
Sounds good. Schwoegler's is a great location.
Hilton

Re: WI SCS 2015 discussion

Post by Hilton »

Last chance to get 2015 SCS points appears to be this weekend.

http://www.ifpapinball.com/rankings/cus ... php?id=108

looks like quite a few still in the hunt and have an opportunity to make the SCS tourney.

For sure the last 4-5 positions are still completely up in the air since there are 2 events left in WI (based on IFPA calandar).

Schwoeglers in particular could net some sizable points if attendance is as high this month as it was last month. Gonna be exciting all the way down to the wire. Good luck to all still in the hunt.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Just wanted to let everyone know that the 2015 SCS will be in the back room at Schwoegler's.

There is a big bowling thing on that same day and we (Madison Pinball) wanted to try to provide the best experience possible.
Our tentative plan will be to move games into the back room on Thursday, Feb 11th.

The back room will be available for practice on Friday, Feb 12th from ~4pm till 11pm and then be closed down for the remainder of the night.

The tournament area will reopen on Saturday, Feb 13th at 8:30am for final warmup and the plan is to start Round 1 at promptly 9:00am.
The SCS will be open to spectators but spectators will be asked to stay back from the machines when watching.

I spoke with many local players the past few days to get opinions and since we will ave the back room I have decided to piggy back on the day. Following the conclusion of the 2015 SCS awards ceremony, we will host "The Best of the Rest" which in short will be a 48 person bracket, PAPA style playoff, 3 games per round, double elimination. Should be a fun day of pinball and will also provide the opportunity for those that dont make the top 16 cut the ability to see how they fair in the larger grouping while also hopefully providing a reason to come watch the top 16 in the SCS earlier in the day.

edit: after talking with IFPA reps today via email they have told me I am not allowed to use the WI SCS standings as the metric to fullfill the 48 spots for "the best of the rest". Long story and I dont agree with it, but basically the directors have decided it 'undermines their corporate events and hence are forbidding anyone from using the same metric in order to run a sanctioned event'. What does this mean? It means positions will have to be on a first come/first served basis when registration opens in order to fill the 48 positions. We are allowed to spread the word of the event by mouth prior to creating it and opening registration. People can register and denote their current 2015 WI SCS ranking denoting they wish to have position filed in order of current Wi rank if they want or they can say they want in based on first come first served. In other words, I guess please spread the word that the event will happen and let people know when registration will open. Hopefully we can fill the 48 spots with the most deserving and highest ranked in WI 2015 rankings. I know, very convoluted, but IFPA is the governing body and want to protect their corporate image/brand I guess?

I will be gathering emails when the event becomes official and will blast out to those in the top 50 to ensure they get notice of registration going live. It will of course be an open event and first come first served so when registration for the "Best of the Rest" opens, any person that wants can get in.
Last edited by Hilton on Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Great idea! Sounds like a fun pinball day!
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

From what i can tell this past weekends events are already entered and I dont see anything left on our WI calendar...

Here are the hypothetical Round 1 matchups (This assumes Art, Ben, Matt T, and Chris F are not playing in WI, which is what I have heard but not confirmed at this point):

1st David Daluga vs 16th Sean Spindler
2nd Timothy Enders vs 15th Maya Nigrosh
3rd Ryan Spindler vs 14th Brodde Peterson
4th Eric Strangeway vs 13th Tyler Spindler
5th Tom Graf vs 12th Ian Seidler
6th Hilton Jones vs 11th Kevin Christensen
7th Ken Kulig vs 10th Rob Stickney
8th Paul Okruhlica vs 9th Mike Sievert
Eric_S

Post by Eric_S »

Sounds like a great day of pinball. A few questions?

Is the best of the rest tourney also open to the top 16 that are in the championship?

Any ideas on tropies? I think last year IFPA only provided one trophy for first place, but making to the State Championship tourney is a big accomplishment. I'm generally not a big fan of participation trophies, but being in the top 16 may warrant it in this case.

Will the games for the tourney be the games that are in the regular Schwoegs line-up or are others being brought in special for the tourney?
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Great questions Eric!

1. Is the best of the rest tourney also open to the top 16 that are in the championship?

YES. Best of the rest will actually be open to the first 48 people to sign up once registration opens. I originally intended to have it open only to the top 1-48 and then open up further down based on rankings as spots fill in but IFPA has said no to that (I cant use their WI ranking to fill spots as they want to protect theri corporate events). They have said I must do first come/first served, but I am allowed to open registration and email blast out to people. My real intent is to fill with top ranked and I am hoping people will respect that. People also have teh option of registering and saying "please slot me in based on my ranking order in WI SCS if it gets to me"

2. Any ideas on tropies?
I assume this is in reference to the SCS. In short, yes. As director this year I plan to email out to the top 16 once we fill the roster with the top 16 and see if all people are willing/wanting to chip in so we can get trophies for 2-16th. I agree that making the top 16 is something to be proud about and as such is deserving of a trophy. Hopefully others agree. If all top 16 want trophies then I will do the leg work to make it happen.

In regards to "Best of the Rest", YES the plan is to charge a $5 entry and use ALL entry money to buy trophies for the top ? and also to have some prizes.

3. Will the games for the tourney be the games that are in the regular Schwoegs line-up or are others being brought in special for the tourney?
A little of both. We currently have 12 games at Schwoeglers and the hope is to possibly bring in a few more for the event. We may try to arrange for some game rotation to happen around that time in order to have a few more games there. The majority of the games will of course be the ones that are already there. (There is some debate about using Strikes and Spares, but not sure where that will fall as I need to ask IFPA. I personally feel it falls under 'pinball' but i know others may not. To me it takes skill and is fun. Others not so much, so I am going to talk with Josh about it)

Let me know if you have any other questions.