Madison Pinball Spring Classic> Madison, WI

Detailed Events Forum. All Calendar Entries point back to events in this forum.
Hilton

Madison Pinball Spring Classic> Madison, WI

Post by Hilton »

Madison Pinball Spring Classic – March 2015
Madison Pinball has decided to run a month long full sanctioned IFPA event in March 2015 for fun!
Event is worth full WPPR points and the more people that play the more points the event will be worth under the new WPPR rules.

What: Month long tournament for fun, trophies, and IFPA points. Some cool door prizes including a bowling party provided by Schwoegler's (valued at $100).

When: Sunday March 1st 2015 – Tuesday March 31st at midnight

Where:
Pooley’s (5441 High Crossing Boulevard, Madison, WI 53590)
AND
Schwoegler’s (444 Grand Canyon Dr, Madison, WI 53719)

Cost: $5 paypal gift paid to hmjones3@gmail.com to enter (coin drop to play at locations). Registration open NOW through the entirity of the event. 100% of ALL entries go towards trophies/prizes for players. Edit to say that you can also pay cash in person to me if you want.

Why: For fun! More local pinball competition! WPPR points for all!

PARTY: What, you said party? YES, as thanks for everyones support in the event following the conclusion of the event we plan to have an awards ceremony on the first weekend in April at Schwoegler's. UPDATE: Friday April 3rd from 7:30-9:30 will be the party. Games will be on free play at Schwoegler's for all participants for approximately 2hours.

Brief Description of event: This format seemed to work well and was enjoyed with the previous event, FWTG in Dec 2014, so it is back by popular demand with some player feedback improvements. Best score format on 12 (more if we are able to install more by the start of the event) total games with unlimited attempts between March 01 2015 and March 31st 2015 at midnight. Players track their own scores, document best scores with photos, and submit all best scores by the end of the event. No side event this time.

all details can be found on http://www.madisonpinball.com

please let me know if you have questions.
Last edited by Hilton on Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hilton

Re: Madison Pinball Spring Classic> Madison, WI

Post by Hilton »

To proactively answer a few questions I have gotten from some players in advance>>>

While it hurts a little on the inside, I should note that I do not plan to play in this event.
I won the FWTG and will take a break on this one as a result. :)

We will put up a unique identifier near the display on each game just prior to the event to ensure people are using new scores that are done during the event.

If this style of event continues to be liked by players then we will likely do them 1 time each quarter. They take a bit of effort to run logistically and that is all I can commit to and feedback from most that played in FWTG is once per quarter would be good.

Tie Breaker game is announced in advance for the Spring Classic and will be TWD. Play accordingly to make sure you kill plenty of walkers.

No playoffs planned for this one. I do not want to exclude anyone and we had a decent number of out of town players that came down just for a single day or 2. Feedback from them was that an addition of a playoff would detract from the uniqiue style of this event and possibly prevent them from playing since they woudl need to plan multiple trips.

Thanks again for all those that play and support what is going on with location pinball in Madison!
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Tim,

OK if I do the photo thread for this event again? Wanted to ask as I am sure it takes up server space with all the photos.
If not, just LMk and no worries.
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

Count me in! I really enjoy this format of tournament and at a $5 fee for entry this should draw in a lot more players than FLTG did!

Quetion.. I was playing at Schwoegler's after bowling last night and noticed that some of the high scores were reset.-On ACDC and Rollergames at least. ACDC still had Ryan's GC score but the others were gone including yours and my score. I asked Sean and he didn't think they were reset but mentioned something about the software doing an automatic reset after 2K plays. If that is the case it would suck to have those be reset during the middle of a month long tournament.
Current Collection: Rick and Morty, JPPrem, TWDLE, SW Pro, Foo Fighters Pro, Godzilla Pro, GNRLE, Alien Star, Space Invaders, Harlem, Stars, Shadow.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

MikeS wrote:Count me in! I really enjoy this format of tournament and at a $5 fee for entry this should draw in a lot more players than FLTG did!

Quetion.. I was playing at Schwoegler's after bowling last night and noticed that some of the high scores were reset.-On ACDC and Rollergames at least. ACDC still had Ryan's GC score but the others were gone including yours and my score. I asked Sean and he didn't think they were reset but mentioned something about the software doing an automatic reset after 2K plays. If that is the case it would suck to have those be reset during the middle of a month long tournament.

Entry fee was the biggest feedback we got and everyone said they wanted some skin in the game but not too much. FWTG was unique since it was a charity event.

Rollergames >I reset on purpose when I brought it to Schwoeglers. I think it best to always reset HSTD when at new location or after a long time.

ACDC likely has a default setting of reseting all but GC scores after X number of plays. I am guessing it is much lower than 2k plays as the game has not seen anywhere near that many plays. It may have also not been reset when it first went on route as score were all low when we got it. We will look into the settings and make adjustments to increase "X" appropriately.

For these month long events we reset ALL HSTD including GC just before the start so peopel know what they are shooting for. Should not be an issue of auto-reset of scores for any of these, but we hope to have teh picture thread also so peopel can share as they play in case of an inadvertant reset (like what happened on TAF for FWTG on accident).
Ken

Post by Ken »

You know I'm in! Call this one Flippin with the Wisconsin Greats!
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Ken wrote:You know I'm in! Call this one Flippin with the Wisconsin Greats!

LOL, like the name suggestion.

Gonna stick with Spring Classic for now. I like the seasons and figured if we do this quarterly it will be easy to remember over time.
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Hilton wrote:Tim,

OK if I do the photo thread for this event again? Wanted to ask as I am sure it takes up server space with all the photos.
Unlimited space... Post away.... Create a new photo thread and I can create a qr code. I can also make it so you don't have to register to post in that thread if that makes it easier.
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, NBA Fastbreak, Williams Phoenix
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

ralphwiggum wrote:
Hilton wrote:Tim,

Unlimited space... Post away.... Create a new photo thread and I can create a qr code. I can also make it so you don't have to register to post in that thread if that makes it easier.

THANKS tim! I think it would be a good thing to make it so registration is not required! Thanks for the help.

Creating Spring Classic Photo Thread now.

First 2 people already registered.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

4 people already signed up. If anyone wants to bring cash and pay to get in on Saturday when at Schwoegler's then I will be there.

I will also be bringing FWTG prizes and medal since I was a dummy and forgot to bring them to Pooley's last night.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Update that the post event awards ceremony and Party will be Friday April 3rd from 7:30-9:30pm.

Also, Schwoegler's was kind enough to provide a great bowling party as a door prize for the event.
nardmacmke

Post by nardmacmke »

Hey Hilton,

First, thanks for putting on this event. Looking forward to it.
Second, just making sure, I read the website and there is no playoff for this event correct? I'm going to block out the 3rd of april, but in the event i can't make it from milwaukee for whatever reason, just wanted to double check. I'm blocking off the band calendar and basketball season is over so i should be good to go for that friday.

Thanks in advance!
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

no playoff is currently slated for the spring classic.

I do not want to deter anyone from playing in the Spring Classic , by requiring a playoff as I am expecting that not all players will make it to the party on April 3rd. Playoff will never be a requirement, but could be an option.

I was thinking of adding the OPTION of a playoff (for IFPA points purposes it could make the event grade out higher), but have not fully thought it out.
IF all of the top 8? finishers opted to want a playoff, that could be arranged at the post party and we could do it in pretty short order.

In other words, there will be NO required playoff, but I could update the website to add a caveat of something like...

"In the event that all X of the top finishers are in attendance at the April 3rd party and ALL decide they want a playoff then an X game playoff will occur"

Would this be of interest?

It would allow the event to grade out at 100% for those that are in it for IFPA points, but obviously if not everyone shows up/ or wants a playoff, then there would not be a playoff. It would leave the option in the hands of the top 8? finishers. Playoff would likely be something simple that goes pretty smooth (easy to create something with only 8 people in a playoff). Playoff would also be set up in a way that favors higher seeds as the main focus of this event is playing well throughout the month.

If people are interested in a playoff 'option' then I can vet it out more.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

In thinking this over more we could do an OPTIONAL playoff with just the top 4 in the following format.

All 4 top finishers would need to agree for this to be a go.

3rd and 4th play a best 2 out of 3 games (higher seed picks game or play postion, lower seed picks whatever is leftover). Loser takes 4th. Winner continues on.

Winner of 3rd v. 4th plays 2nd in a best 2 out of 3 games (higher seed picks game or play postion, lower seed picks whatever is leftover). Loser takes 3rd. Winner continues on.

Winner of 2nd v. 3/4 plays 1st in a best 2 out of 3 games (higher seed picks game or play postion, lower seed picks whatever is leftover). Loser takes 2nd. Winner continues takes first.

This would be a very simple playoff format, should go pretty quickly (so not a big time commitment), provides an advantage of choice to higher seed, and will add to the events TGP value which based on my math will make the spring classic grade out at 100% value. In general terms this is an easy way to possibly have a fun playoff, but still would be 100% optional. This also provides some incentive to qualify higher and top 4 will be likely trophy/prize positions so adds some fun if all 4 top finishers want a playoff.

LMK thoughts and I can add some langauge to the website to make it an official OPTION.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

I want to be very clear that no matter what it would only be an OPTION for playoff. I have no skin in it, since I am not playing in the event.

I am just trying to provide an option, but not sure if it appeals to players of not.

side note, I think we are near 10 people signed up already. Get signed up soon as that will help with determining what trophies I can get for the event if I have a better idea of number of partcipants. If people are coming over on this Sat for the big launch party and event you can sign up for spring classic at that time and just pay the $5 right them.

Hope to see many of you this weekend!