2018 NACS (SCS) on Saturday, January 19, 2019

Detailed Events Forum. All Calendar Entries point back to events in this forum.
Hilton

2018 NACS (SCS) on Saturday, January 19, 2019

Post by Hilton »

Edit for updates:
reference
https://www.ifpapinball.com/nacs/qualif ... =2019&s=WI
for current commitments

Event will happen on Saturday, January 19, 2019. WI is a super state so top 24 qualify (first round bye for top 8)
Hosting at private residence in Madison this year.
Planning 8:30am doors open with 30 min warm up.
9:00am round 1 starts for those seeded 9-24. Anyone not actively playing wont be allowed to practice beyond 9am (for both power and space limitations). *reminder that per NACS rules each player is allowed 30 seconds to get comfortable on that specific game.
NACS is a single elimination format. Once eliminated, players are asked to depart to allow others that are still in more space.
We will plan to play out the consolation bracket for top 8 only (9th-16th finishers will tie, 17th-24th finishers will tie). Consolation bracket will be a 3 game series.

More details and a game list will be sent to confirmed attendees once the full list of players is confirmed.
Our collection is full of oddballs and mainly early SS, so plan on a collection comprised mainly of that. There may be a few select DMDs but my goal is to mainly focus on pre 1992 era games. Final list will also depend on what is playing the best/most likely to stand up to competitive play for a full day.

Looking forward to hosting everyone.

If anyone wants to stream things, please let me know as it would be really cool to set up a rig over a game or 2.
Last edited by Hilton on Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Eric_S

Re: 2018 NACS (SCS) on Saturday, January 19, 2019

Post by Eric_S »

Will there be a Melody available to play?
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Eric_S wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:29 pm Will there be a Melody available to play?
Actually, i was gonna suprise you guys with 15 melodies all set up for the tourney. An all melody scs.

In reality i will likel have one or two EMs in the lineup for the big day.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Tentative (and this is very tentative at this stage/ may change so dont get mad if it does) date for a 'warm up' event is Saturday January 5th. I will solidify the date once things get closer (i.e. once Heidi gets her work schedule published)

Undecided if this will be a tournament or some sort of open play for the SCS qualifiers, but we want to provide the opportunity for all players to have a level playing field of practice on the collection and want to try to give ample notice so people can hold a date on your schedules.

Most likely will do some sort of tourney cause this is all the competitive folks after all :)

Stay tuned but most important is to mark it on your calendar if you are interested in your 1 shot* to play on the SCS games in advance of the SCS.

*I will not be inviting any individuals over for practice at any other time. I am not hosting in my traditional Dec spot for MadCity Flippers either so this should be about as fair and level as possible.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Current standings page for those that are point hunting through the end of the year and want to keep up to date on your status.
https://www.ifpapinball.com/nacs/standings.php?l=WI

handful of big tourneys left in Appleton and Greenbay with Tom and Erik really taking charge up there so you better head on up if you are looking for a NACS slot.

80 events already recorded and 29 currently on the books for the remainder of the year, so things should shake out with a field of a top 24!

My best guess is somewhere around 35 points will be needed for top 24, but that is just a guess and the next set of big events could change that dramatically.

On the note of games, I just picked up a GamePlan Cyclopes and with any luck I will have it up and running in time for the NACS! Another great classic that has likely never been seen in competitive WI pinball before!

Hope you folks are getting excited.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

One thing I think that is really cool about WI becoming a super state (24 finalists) is that it also adds in the first round bye for top 8.

Previous years, the top 8 rarely had much to shoot for come October. Now with the super state status, that first round bye is at risk and should add a layer of fun for those in the hunt for top 8. Winning one of the large remaining events coule easily bump someone into a bye slot and someone else out of a bye slot.

Other thing to note, is that with going to top 24, it means that seriously ANYONE could still earn a spot (looking at you Ralph Wiggum).
Winning just a few of the remaining 29 events in this year would almost surely gain you a spot in the top 24.

Very exciting and nice job to all the unique players and hosts of events to meet the super state requirement!
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Tentative List of Players showing intent as they have replied to email that went out to top 40 on 02 Nov.
Worth note that this list will be updated as people reply.
Per IFPA, people have till Jan 7th to confirm intent officially, but making it public now has the benefit of helping others know where the cut line may be as they hunt end of year points.
Numbers are replaced with replies as they come in. Thanks to those that reply to help both your fellow competitors and me for sending out invites for the Jan 5th warm up night.
list updated 08 DEC

YES David Daluga
YES Eric Strangeway
YES Timothy Enders
YES Tom Graf
YES Ian Seidler
YES Ryan Spindler
NO Reply Luke Nahorniak
NO Reply Paul Okruhlica
YES Jordan Semrow
YES Jim Radovich
YES Bryon Schmitz
YES Mark Hagen
NO Reply Jason Werdrick
NO Reply Terry Weber
YES Chris Matte
60% MN Dan Toft
YES Max Senesac
YES Nick Stanton
YES Brian Leuthner
YES Greg Pitner
90% in MN Chris Frame
YES Matt Ennocenti
Undecided Tyler Spindler
YES BJ McCarthy Jr
YES Neo Skywalker
YES Will Michels
NO Reply Ben Granger
YES Jonathan Zacherman
YES Sean Spindler
30 Curt Eastman
31 William Vandeneng
NO Reply Brad Smith US
NO Erik Thoren
NO Reply Jimmy Leingang
YES Karl Luhrs
YES Mike Sievert
NO Reply Jane Verwys
YES Brandon Lemaster
NO Adam Turgeson
40 Brandon Phillippi
YES Gareth Spindler
NO Hilton Jones
YES Eric Priepke
Last edited by Hilton on Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:38 am, edited 11 times in total.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

current list of player intent has been updated.
chevmontess

Post by chevmontess »

I plan on attending... thought i had emailed you back.

Thanks hilton

-daluga
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

chevmontess wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:09 am I plan on attending... thought i had emailed you back.

Thanks hilton

-daluga
Thanks DD. looking forward to this!
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Tom G or Eric > can you pass along the message to Brian L and get confirmation?

I am getting bounce backs from his email.

thanks
TomGWI

Post by TomGWI »

Hilton wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:36 pm Tom G or Eric > can you pass along the message to Brian L and get confirmation?

I am getting bounce backs from his email.

thanks
Erik Thoren is his contact. Brian is dead to us (playing for Titletown) . ;)
I am 99% he would play but know you need his response.
I will have Erik get in touch with him.

Tom.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

thanks Tom.

Much appreciated.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

List has been updated again.

We now have a field of 24 commitments, with a few undecided, and a couple of not attending.
If anyone wants to nudge those that are yet to reply, then please do so. It is of course their choice to not reply at all as IFPA requires nothing till the Jan 7th cutoff for NACS.

I will continue to update as people reply as to help people get a better understanding of where things stand for the hypothetical cut line.
If someone pops into the top 40 then I will also send info out to them and add them to the list.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

All but 2 WI people in top 40 currently have now replied (list updated above). If anyone sees anyone whom has not replied and wants to remind them to reply to me then please do. Again, completely their choice if they don't want to reply.

At least this gives you all a better idea of where the cut line likely resides as you hunt for end of year points :)

Invites for Jan 5th warm up event will go out when I get some spare time.